Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Before You Can Drive To Fairbanks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for dragging this off topic with the remote Australia routes. For those interested, I've tagged all the relevant threads in the Aus/NZ forum with "remote charging". You can find them here - remote charging | Tesla Motors Club

Feel free to create a thread for the Halls Creek via Tanami route in Australia & New Zealand forum but I don't think you'll get many takers :p
My posting was a joke... sorry that people took it seriously. BTW, my brother and my best friends have both driven the Tanami Track.

For those wondering where my goal post for EVs actually is, it's at 400 miles in a car with 20 minute recharges. That's 4.5- 5 hours of driving which is about the point where I get bored with life unless I'm being paid for it and I'm in the truck, then I'll roll on for 16 hours at a time I'll stop once to refuel and once to sleep.

I say Alaska because I've been hired to make that trip many times towing RVs up there, although I pass them off at the border. I would like to vacation up there and that's about 550 gallons of diesel in the truck. Even paying for electricity at 15c and 330kh/mi that's 2,800kwh about $1,000 savings and for someone who made $38k last year that would go quite a long ways.

I talk a lot of *sugar* on the forum about Tesla's short comings that people like to overlook and by no means are they close to a car manufacturer, more like a boutique tech company in my opinion, but the world of EVs in general is here to stay and that I agree with.

Back to the topic at hand, I'd be content with 150-180mile stops on the drive up but it seems that tesla isn't looking to bridge AK with the 48 for a PR stunt and there's no real demand therefore no hurry to install them. I would say, even if you don't bridge the US it would seem prudent to link the major cities within Alaska to allow travel more easily there. It would also provide for some spectacular cold wheaten testing going up towards the slope.

You're also very sheltered if you don't think driving from the 48, north isn't a thing.
Please don't change what I said. I didn't say it's not done at all ever, as you are misattributing to me. I just wanted to express some disagreement with your description of it as "people travel there all the time", where you're making it sound like going to a restaurant, that most people do frequently.
If I have rent a truck to replace an EV, we just took a step backwards. ;)
But lots of people do have a gas car and still rent a truck for occasional use, because a truck is pretty bad as a daily driver for commuting to work most of the time. Sure, you can have a supposed "do absolutely everything" vehicle like a U-Haul box truck as your daily driver, but why would someone do that? It is a valid situation that for something that people rarely do, like sanding floors or laying irrigation pipe or moving furniture, they rent equipment for it if that's not something they prefer to own for the vast majority of their use.

Reactions: skitown and mspohr