Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Solar Roof has passed inspection in early Sept, but is still waiting for PG&E to approve the Backup Switch install. I refused to pay Tesla and pointed out to them that their "5-day after final inspection" clause is illegal in California. CA Law prohibits contractors from collecting full payment until the work on the project in complete. I went back & forth with a few people in their billing department, but finally their billing supervisor agreed to allow me to delay payment until the back up switch has been installed.

Tesla completely screwed up the paperwork submission to PG&E (multiple times) causing 6 weeks of delays. It seems to be correct now and I'll likely have the Back Up Switch install and PTO at the same time.

So if you live in California, I'd push back on their payment terms.
This is exactly why we arent yet installing the backup switches, until PGE has a defined path to using them. Otherwise, it seems like it's inviting a big headache and customer delay.

Reactions: h2ofun and mje123
My Solar Roof has passed inspection in early Sept, but is still waiting for PG&E to approve the Backup Switch install. I refused to pay Tesla and pointed out to them that their "5-day after final inspection" clause is illegal in California. CA Law prohibits contractors from collecting full payment until the work on the project in complete. I went back & forth with a few people in their billing department, but finally their billing supervisor agreed to allow me to delay payment until the back up switch has been installed.

Tesla completely screwed up the paperwork submission to PG&E (multiple times) causing 6 weeks of delays. It seems to be correct now and I'll likely have the Back Up Switch install and PTO at the same time.

So if you live in California, I'd push back on their payment terms.
Wow, this is good to know, yes, I'm paying sunshine tax as well. I will try to use this on Tesla when my system is installed and see what they say. From what I read, they won't even start PTO submission until you pay in full.

Ten weeks after my install and inspection, and what I thought was PTO submission, I received a notice today from Tesla to sign an addtional "CPUC Solar Packet" document which sounds like it should have been signed at project onset and is required by SCE. Within hours, I received notices from both Tesla and SCE that my request for PTO has been submitted/received.

So after 10 weeks of wasted time my the PTO clock resets. Luckily this is for an additional solar capacity and 2 PW's so my original solar system's PTO is still in effect and I'm abile to supply excess capacity to the grid (albeit slightly capped at my original systems capacity).

Coincidentally, this happened just a day after I requested a PTO status update along with another question to Tesla. I believe the movement likely would not have happened if I had not inquired.

bwb1

Ten weeks after my install and inspection, and what I thought was PTO submission, I received a notice today from Tesla to sign an addtional "CPUC Solar Packet" document which sounds like it should have been signed at project onset and is required by SCE. Within hours, I received notices from both Tesla and SCE that my request for PTO has been submitted/received.

So after 10 weeks of wasted time my the PTO clock resets. Luckily this is for an additional solar capacity and 2 PW's so my original solar system's PTO is still in effect and I'm abile to supply excess capacity to the grid (albeit slightly capped at my original systems capacity).

Coincidentally, this happened just a day after I requested a PTO status update along with another question to Tesla. I believe the movement likely would not have happened if I had not inquired.

bwb1
Yea, indeed I signed the document you mentioned when I approved my design. My project has just been submitted for permit process. Did you pay off your project after inspection?

Our developer submitted the PTO application for our grid charged Tesla batteries to SCE in early August (at least according to them). A couple of weeks later, I was asked by the Developer to provide a copy of our homeowner's insurance policy.
In the second week of October, SCE's insurance subcontractor (ICS) contacted us and asked to add SCE as an additional named insured.
We did that on the same day and returned the copy of the updated policy to them on October 11.
About 10 days later, we received the Interconnection Agreement via Docusign which we signed and returned on the same day.
On November 1st, SCE issued the PTO.

Reactions: KHYE
Our developer submitted the PTO application for our grid charged Tesla batteries to SCE in early August (at least according to them). A couple of weeks later, I was asked by the Developer to provide a copy of our homeowner's insurance policy.
In the second week of October, SCE's insurance subcontractor (ICS) contacted us and asked to add SCE as an additional named insured.
We did that on the same day and returned the copy of the updated policy to them on October 11.
About 10 days later, we received the Interconnection Agreement via Docusign which we signed and returned on the same day.
On November 1st, SCE issued the PTO.
How many powerwalls did you install? Having the IOU as a named insured is unusual.

Yea, indeed I signed the document you mentioned when I approved my design. My project has just been submitted for permit process. Did you pay off your project after inspection?
Yes I did, but I have no issues with payment prior to PTO given that my system is fully functioning due to my original system already having PTO. I'm slightly capped, for the time being, but given this time of year I'm only losing about 1kWh a day due to the cap. Otherwise, my system fully charges my PWs and sends almost 100% of excess generation to the grid daily.

How many powerwalls did you install? Having the IOU as a named insured is unusual.
We have two Powerwalls. Even though the Tesla Home Gateway acts like an isolation switch to ensure that the batteries don't back feed into the grid, there is a momentary transition where a small amount of battery energy can escape to the grid when the transition is made from grid to battery and vice versa. As such, Edison treats the batteries like a mirogrid attached to their distribution system and requires an indemnity from the homeowner against potential damage to their grid of up to $100K from the homeowner via their home insurance policy.

Thanks! Sorry to hear it. That is so...wow, words fail me... I think the wrong party is having to indemnify here. If the Tesla gateway "glitches", it isn't your doing, is it? You didn't design it, nor program it, nor cause it to back feed. I can't believe the PUC allows this sort of thing.

Thanks! Sorry to hear it. That is so...wow, words fail me... I think the wrong party is having to indemnify here. If the Tesla gateway "glitches", it isn't your doing, is it? You didn't design it, nor program it, nor cause it to back feed. I can't believe the PUC allows this sort of thing.
Understood, but it was the homeowner who made the decision to install the batteries, not Tesla or Edison (although it was Edison that forced the homeowner into making the decision since they can't keep the power on in the first place)....

I just filed a complaint with the MA AG last Friday. We passed electrical inspection end of May, and I paid in full cash on June 1st. Tesla freely admits it has not filed the one page paperwork to get the PTO. They can't tell me when this will happen. This is really no way to treat a paying customer. I hope they don't lose their license to operate in Massachusetts, but I was really left with no choice. Especially since my advisor won't respond to my emails any longer.
Did you get any help with the AG i am currently in the same boat

Installation and inspection completed July 16. PTO granted December 8. Countless phone calls/emails with Tesla during that time. Complaint submitted to FTC and NY state AG in September -- think this does help. Considered suing them.

They also owe me $400 referral bonus and $2000 from the upsizing program (if they can't increase system size by 10%+, they have to pay me 2k). Initially was told these would be paid once PTO is granted. Now they're telling me Q1 2022.

Really hoping competition for this company heats up in the future. I also have a Model Y lease ending in less than 2 years and hoping I don't have to spend another dime on this criminal enterprise.

I finally received PTO for my system, took a few calls to Tesla and PGE (such a broken system) but finally got it through. Since I am not getting much peak production right now, I wasn't in much of a rush to get PTO so only called once every other week or so to push this along. Now let's see how long it takes for PTO status to update within Tesla's system. I probably won't bother calling them to follow up on this unless it approaches summer since payments aren't due until PTO is done, but I imagine it will be updated quickly since money is involved. Almost 6 months since order was placed, which is probably fast compared to other stories shared here.

Inverter - Incorporated: 1x Tesla Inc. - PW+ 1850000-XX-Y (1538000-XX-YY + 3012170-XX-Y) [240V] [SI1-JUN20] + BS 1624171-XX-Y [CRD-PCS NEM]
PV Panels: 24x Hanwha Q CELLS - Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G6+ 340
Inverter - Incorporated: 1x Tesla Inc. - AC Powerwall 3012170-XX-Y [SI1-JUN20] + Gateway 1232100-XX-Y [CRD-PCS Non-Export]

Congrats. I'm surprised that Tesla allows you to not pay in full until PTO is approved. In my and most of the purchase agreement, they request full payment within 5 days of passing inspection. And then Tesla took months to file for PTO.
I just had to pay the deposit (not much) after inspection. I am financing through them and their terms is monthly payments start after PTO.