Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My “advisor” ignores most of my emails and the ones he responds to are days later. I passed inspection 8 months ago and still don’t have PTO. My utility is waiting for Tesla to respond to an email… for 5 weeks now. If I could return this system and get my money back I would. I despise Tesla. I love paying for the Tesla loan AND my power bill for 8 months. Totally not wasteful at all.
May not work the same now, but I typically call 650-546-8515 and click on the option that you're waiting for system inspection or question about PTO and have had someone answer pretty quickly.

Update: received email from PG&E to sign interconnection agreement. hopefully there are no errors in the form...
If you want to move this along faster, you'll want to call the PGE solar department every so often to check on the status of the application. They will tell you what is probably missing from Tesla and then you'll have to call Tesla back to get them to send it. I hope you don't have to do any of this, but it took me I think 5 rounds of calling PGE and Tesla to get things sorted out.

My problem is slightly different. Since Tesla refused to install Solar Panels due to tree shading (Last year's storm took that problem away), I used a local company to install the panels and I received my PTO in two weeks after installation (Oct 2020). I continued to pursue a powerwall installation (best price around) and got my installation completed in May 2021 and a week or two later the the local inspection was completed.
While I was looking for some other stuff in my Tesla account in December, I went into my Powerwall page and noticed a bunch document requests, like insurance declaration etc. I was surprised why I have been asked about these 7 months later and uploaded them anyway.
While I was looking for a Request Service option in my app which I don;t have someone mentioned that it only shows up after PTO. Obviously I don;t have a PTO for powerwall. I wonder if I already have the grid connection PTO for my Solar, why would I need another PTO for my powerwall?

My problem is slightly different. Since Tesla refused to install Solar Panels due to tree shading (Last year's storm took that problem away), I used a local company to install the panels and I received my PTO in two weeks after installation (Oct 2020). I continued to pursue a powerwall installation (best price around) and got my installation completed in May 2021 and a week or two later the the local inspection was completed.
While I was looking for some other stuff in my Tesla account in December, I went into my Powerwall page and noticed a bunch document requests, like insurance declaration etc. I was surprised why I have been asked about these 7 months later and uploaded them anyway.
While I was looking for a Request Service option in my app which I don;t have someone mentioned that it only shows up after PTO. Obviously I don;t have a PTO for powerwall. I wonder if I already have the grid connection PTO for my Solar, why would I need another PTO for my powerwall?

Your utility requires you to get PTO for any on-site generation facility that is grid connected.

Reactions: h2ofun
If you want to move this along faster, you'll want to call the PGE solar department every so often to check on the status of the application. They will tell you what is probably missing from Tesla and then you'll have to call Tesla back to get them to send it. I hope you don't have to do any of this, but it took me I think 5 rounds of calling PGE and Tesla to get things sorted out.

I gave PG&E a call... looks like within 15 business days I'll get PTO assuming no surprises... no missing or incorrect paperwork detected so far.

Reactions: dailo
SCE / Los Angeles, installer was Semper Solaris. I added extra panels to my system, basically said "fill up the rest of the available roof area".

Design start 9/3
Install 12/8
Initial inspection 12/20
2nd inspection passed 1/10
PTO application 1/13
SCE PTO application received 1/13
SCE Deemed valid 1/20
SCE Technical review 2/1
SCE PTO 2/4

Design phase took longer than expected, as we went back and forth a lot because I now have more than 7.6KW of panels and only 1 power wall, which is outside of Tesla guidelines, they wanted to tie the extra panels in before the gateway, so they'd turn off during a power outage.
I only accepted the design when they put it with the rest of the solar, and with a waiver that the system could shut itself down during an outage due to too much solar and nowhere for it to go.

SCE / Los Angeles, installer was Semper Solaris. I added extra panels to my system, basically said "fill up the rest of the available roof area".

Design start 9/3
Install 12/8
Initial inspection 12/20
PTO application 1/13
SCE Deemed valid 1/20
SCE Technical review 2/1
SCE PTO 2/4

Design phase took longer than expected, as we went back and forth a lot because I now have more than 7.6KW of panels and only 1 power wall, which is outside of Tesla guidelines, they wanted to tie the extra panels in before the gateway, so they'd turn off during a power outage.
I only accepted the design when they put it with the rest of the solar, and with a waiver that the system could shut itself down during an outage due to too much solar and nowhere for it to go.
Thanks. My application was deemed valid on 1/25 and I was just about to ask you if you received any emails in between the deemed valid and technical review complete but as I was typing I received the assigned technical reviewer and review complete emails back to back.

I guess I should expect PTO mid next week. Unfortunately, we are on vacation all next week and I am planning on turning off the breakers to at least one of my inverters so I do not export prior to PTO.

Design start 9/3
Install 12/8
Initial inspection 12/20
PTO application 1/13
SCE Deemed valid 1/20
SCE Technical review 2/1
SCE PTO 2/4

how do the two systems show up in your Tesla app? is there a separate screen for each system or do you get a combined view on a single screen?

how do the two systems show up in your Tesla app? is there a separate screen for each system or do you get a combined view on a single screen?
It's actually 3 installs that show up as 2 different systems in the Tesla app, I can swipe left/right to see them.
"Tesla 1" - installed by Tesla, solar panels only, Solar Edge inverter, CTs on the inverter output and the power co feed.
"Tesla 2" - installed by Semper Solaris, Tesla Gateway configered as partial home, powerwall & 6 panels feeding a Enphase combiner. CTs on the solar feed (includes Tesla1 panels) and power co feed.
Then the additional panels which feed the same Enphase combiner, so just increase the amount monitored with those CTs.

So "Tesla 2" shows all the totals in one screen, "Tesla 1" isn't useful except to check that those panels are producing.