Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told today that my payment (in full) was not properly registered on my account and a switch needed to be flipped to get the connectivity team to submit my certificate of completion to ComEd. The advisor has, weekly, been telling me how backed up the connectivity team is, how the paperwork needed to be compiled, and just unimaginable BS when Tesla was NEVER going to submit that paperwork until the paid in full switch was tripped. All he needed to do was look at my account and flip the "paid" switch, which was done for me while I was on the phone with another agent today.
I'm in the same boat, or a similar one. I paid in full by credit card[1] on the day payment was requested. The phrase used by the CSR in my case was "waiting for the billing department to send an invoice indicating paid in full" to the department that handles utility interconnection requests. A call to Billing determined that there was no action they could take, it was necessary for FinOps to fix it, for which a case was opened. Time for a follow-up call tomorrow.

[1] I needed to use a credit card because Tesla's automated payment system could not identify the checking account associated with my brokerage account.

Reactions: c1916
is there a thread with success stories? This thread makes me feel even more uneasy about my 3 orders that have not even received a design in 2 weeks now 😅😅
Took a month or more to get our solarroof design. Construction started 4 months after approval of design and first payment.

Tesla is slammed with buyers now. Installation crew head told me they have 120 installs in the queue in his 30-mile service area. Can't get workers, or more specifically worker that will reliably show up and can pass a drug test. We hear the same thing from all of the subcontractors (plumbers, carpentry, landscaping, etc.) on our home projects.

Reactions: sunwarriors
Took a month or more to get our solarroof design. Construction started 4 months after approval of design and first payment.

Tesla is slammed with buyers now. Installation crew head told me they have 120 installs in the queue in his 30-mile service area. Can't get workers, or more specifically worker that will reliably show up and can pass a drug test. We hear the same thing from all of the subcontractors (plumbers, carpentry, landscaping, etc.) on our home projects.
I expect delays here and there but no communication is getting annoying. I have received 4 quotes and designs from other companies while I've been waiting for Tesla to computer generate me a design for any of my 3 orders. Currently looking at an alternative setup with micro-inverters and powerwalls for storage, constant horror stories in each thread, and lack of any positivity, is making me reconsider the possible savings.

I expect delays here and there but no communication is getting annoying. I have received 4 quotes and designs from other companies while I've been waiting for Tesla to computer generate me a design for any of my 3 orders. Currently looking at an alternative setup with micro-inverters and powerwalls for storage, constant horror stories in each thread, and lack of any positivity, is making me reconsider the possible savings.

As I mentioned before in some of my other posts, posts like yours were my reasons for not going with Tesla. The $$ is definitely cheaper, but not as cheap as it used to be (I think it used to be < $2/W. Adding powerwalls save even more since installers have to buy them for list price I think. I wanted LFP after doing more research so gave up on that. The solar portion for me was closer to $2.5/W.

There was a recent post by someone with a perfect install/PTO and probably a lot more non-posters with good experiences, but based on your state laws (like NEM3.0 in CA), you have to weigh the risk of missing out on locking in old policies (NEM2.0 for me) due to delays vs. cost savings.

I don't see any reason to go with Tesla other than $$. Most folks would lose more $$ if they are not grandfathered in older net metering policies.

My PTO was in a week and install done in a few months (there were delays due to supply chain issues though). Expect with the massive backlog of orders (120+ in a mile radius according to another poster in a diff area), lack of installers, weigh what's most important for your situation.

As I mentioned before in some of my other posts, posts like yours were my reasons for not going with Tesla. The $$ is definitely cheaper, but not as cheap as it used to be (I think it used to be < $2/W. Adding powerwalls save even more since installers have to buy them for list price I think. I wanted LFP after doing more research so gave up on that. The solar portion for me was closer to $2.5/W.

There was a recent post by someone with a perfect install/PTO and probably a lot more non-posters with good experiences, but based on your state laws (like NEM3.0 in CA), you have to weigh the risk of missing out on locking in old policies (NEM2.0 for me) due to delays vs. cost savings.

I don't see any reason to go with Tesla other than $$. Most folks would lose more $$ if they are not grandfathered in older net metering policies.

My PTO was in a week and install done in a few months (there were delays due to supply chain issues though). Expect with the massive backlog of orders (120+ in a mile radius according to another poster in a diff area), lack of installers, weigh what's most important for your situation.
I also feel like I can expand and troubleshoot a system with microinverters much easier than Tesla’s proprietary system.

20 days today with no designs for either of my 3 orders.

SF Bay Area here.

Final Inspection: March 22nd
PTO Granted: April 5th
SFBA here too.

When was your system installed?

My system was installed a week ago and now I'm waiting for the city inspection. The system is already up and supplying power to my home and to the grid according to the Tesla app, I don't have a powerwall. Just curious how long it takes the city inspectors to come out after the install is complete.

The phrase used by the CSR in my case was "waiting for the billing department to send an invoice indicating paid in full" to the department that handles utility interconnection requests. A call to Billing determined that there was no action they could take, it was necessary for FinOps to fix it, for which a case was opened. Time for a follow-up call tomorrow.
Followup to this post of mine on 4/24: I called on 4/29 and got confirmation that FinOps had completed the required action, so the CSR was going to contact the interconnection team regarding submission of the request. On 4/30 and 5/2 I received emails about new documents in my account to sign -- these were the CPUC Solar Packet and the PG&E interconnection request that I had signed long ago, but now there were new revisions of those docs so I needed to sign again. By 5/10 I checked with PG&E to see if they had received the request -- Nope. So I called Tesla again and the CSR reached out to the interconnection team again.

Today 5/13 still no evidence of progress, so I called Tesla again. This time the CSR said I needed to upload my utility bill. I had seen that as an action item on the account, but I ignored it because two other action items were to make the Final Payment (which was already paid) and to view the gutter contractor (which has been stuck on the account page since the start). The text for uploading the utility bill said it was so Tesla could start on the design, which made no sense since I had uploaded a utility bill back at the start of this adventure and my system has subsequently been designed, installed, and inspected. Apparently the interconnection team just wanted to verify that my PG&E service agreement ID and meter number were correct on the interconnection request. But those numbers have been the same for many years.

After I uploaded the latest PG&E bill and responded to the advisor's email saying I had done so, then the interconnection team finally did their job and sent the request to PG&E. I know it was received because PG&E sent an email to me with the application summary. Now we'll see how long it takes for PG&E to verify whether all the information is acceptable and grant PTO.

SFBA here too.

When was your system installed?

My system was installed a week ago and now I'm waiting for the city inspection. The system is already up and supplying power to my home and to the grid according to the Tesla app, I don't have a powerwall. Just curious how long it takes the city inspectors to come out after the install is complete.
Sorry for the delay in responding :(

My solar system was installed and completed on March 15th so the city inspectors came exactly a week after installation.

Called again today.

My previous advisor is no longer with the company. :confused:

AND....the assistance I received today indicated that he was jacking me around for almost three months with complete and utter lies.

I was told today that my payment (in full) was not properly registered on my account and a switch needed to be flipped to get the connectivity team to submit my certificate of completion to ComEd. The advisor has, weekly, been telling me how backed up the connectivity team is, how the paperwork needed to be compiled, and just unimaginable BS when Tesla was NEVER going to submit that paperwork until the paid in full switch was tripped. All he needed to do was look at my account and flip the "paid" switch, which was done for me while I was on the phone with another agent today.

I've never mis-treated these guys, I never raised my voice, I never made threats, I always walked on eggshells when talking with the advisors...somehow it was easier to lie to me for MONTHS than take 10 seconds to fix the error on Tesla's end.

New advisor spent 30 minutes with me on the phone and tripped over himself apologizing. Promising start, but enough of me being Mr. Nice Guy. He'll be hearing from me every other day going forward....the wheel just got squeaky.
Been about a month since my previous rant.

Although the financial piece seems like it has been corrected, my dashboard with Tesla still says that I owe a final payment. The advisor tells me to ignore it and that I'm paid in full. :rolleyes:

Speaking of advisors....since April 25, I've had four new advisors churn through my account. I'll reiterate that I've never been anything less than polite and civil (while also firm in my requests), but somehow I must have a red star by my name.

So, I've texted with my advisors roughly three times a week since April 25. During that time, I've been told explicitly that my certificate of completion paperwork has been filed with ComEd four times. I then call ComEd (where I'm literally on a first name basis with the administrator in their interconnection department), and am told "Nope...we have nothing submitted on your account." Back to the text with Tesla, no apologies, no explanations....just "Oh, we'll look into it" and then 2 days later "Yeah...your paperwork has been submitted with ComEd" and around we go.

Last week, they stopped lying in order to tell me that "Oh...No...Wait, your installation requires a performance validation to be done before paperwork can be submitted." Keep in mind, the county approval to operate was provided on February 8, but OK, May 16 out comes a tech to spend 5 minutes to say "it looks like when the county approval was done one of the photographs taken was blurry" Well, thanks very much for taking 13 weeks to fix a blurry photo... now how about processing my paperwork? The tech says he understands that submissions take about 10 minutes and that I should be done that day and that my installation is on the "expedited track" (which made me laugh)

Well, Wednesday the advisor says "Yeah...your paperwork has been submitted" to which ComEd says "Nope", to which Tesla says "We'll look into it." Never to be heard from again.
So, poke again today, and Tesla says...Oh Yeah...it'll be 4 weeks before your papers can be submitted. 🤬

Text demanding immediate response sent, Phone call asking for escalation conducted, E-mail sent to the interconnection team asking for expedited service.

I will tell you that I am ready to pull the nuclear option. It has been over a year since my initial order and deposit, and I'm at the point where I can legitimately say I'm not satisfied with my installation, which....how can I be if I can't turn the damn thing on? At some point, I believe my life will be easier if they come out, take their stuff out of the house, and install a regular roof according to their satisfaction clause. I wonder if anyone has ever gone that route.

Although the financial piece seems like it has been corrected, my dashboard with Tesla still says that I owe a final payment. The advisor tells me to ignore it and that I'm paid in full. :rolleyes:

Speaking of advisors....since April 25, I've had four new advisors churn through my account. I'll reiterate that I've never been anything less than polite and civil (while also firm in my requests), but somehow I must have a red star by my name.

So, I've texted with my advisors roughly three times a week since April 25. During that time, I've been told explicitly that my certificate of completion paperwork has been filed with ComEd four times. I then call ComEd (where I'm literally on a first name basis with the administrator in their interconnection department), and am told "Nope...we have nothing submitted on your account." Back to the text with Tesla, no apologies, no explanations....just "Oh, we'll look into it" and then 2 days later "Yeah...your paperwork has been submitted with ComEd" and around we go.

Last week, they stopped lying in order to tell me that "Oh...No...Wait, your installation requires a performance validation to be done before paperwork can be submitted." Keep in mind, the county approval to operate was provided on February 8, but OK, May 16 out comes a tech to spend 5 minutes to say "it looks like when the county approval was done one of the photographs taken was blurry" Well, thanks very much for taking 13 weeks to fix a blurry photo... now how about processing my paperwork? The tech says he understands that submissions take about 10 minutes and that I should be done that day and that my installation is on the "expedited track" (which made me laugh)

Well, Wednesday the advisor says "Yeah...your paperwork has been submitted" to which ComEd says "Nope", to which Tesla says "We'll look into it." Never to be heard from again.
So, poke again today, and Tesla says...Oh Yeah...it'll be 4 weeks before your papers can be submitted. 🤬

Text demanding immediate response sent, Phone call asking for escalation conducted, E-mail sent to the interconnection team asking for expedited service.

I will tell you that I am ready to pull the nuclear option. It has been over a year since my initial order and deposit, and I'm at the point where I can legitimately say I'm not satisfied with my installation, which....how can I be if I can't turn the damn thing on? At some point, I believe my life will be easier if they come out, take their stuff out of the house, and install a regular roof according to their satisfaction clause. I wonder if anyone has ever gone that route.
Wow, so sorry you are going through this, not even sure what more you can do.

It sounds like you aren't the yelling on the phone or texting in all caps type of person, but still you can't get a simple PTO completed with Tesla at the wheel? What else can you do, start yelling?

If you can get past this step before going nuclear this will all be a distant memory, until someone asks about your roof experience. Unfortunately, you want to be proud of it and that's pretty hard with your experience.

I bet your PTO paperwork will get completed pretty fast if you start the process for them to remove the roof entirely, and at this point, it is hard to have a worse experience. Maybe tell them to submit this in 14 days or you will start the process to remove it?

I wonder if you would get a different service experience if you just called in to have them remove the roof under that satisfaction clause. I thought about installing a Solar Roof on my house but it was just too bleeding edge tech for my taste on a building product that is so critical to my home.

Reactions: c1916 and BGbreeder

Wow, you have been run through the wringer. I'm so sorry. I would be ready to go nuclear as well. If it were me, I would consult with an attorney, and have them deal with it. At some point, it isn't worth the negative karma that the interaction engenders.

Or just mock up one of those safety signs, "X days signs our last accident", out front that says
"Tesla solar roof system,
XX days since the last time it worked properly.
Oh, wait, it never has.
"
and post it to social media.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: c1916 and no2gates
Wow, you have been run through the wringer. I'm so sorry. I would be ready to go nuclear as well. If it were me, I would consult with an attorney, and have them deal with it. At some point, it isn't worth the negative karma that the interaction engenders.

Or just mock up one of those safety signs, "X days signs our last accident", out front that says
"Tesla solar roof system,
XX days since the last time it worked properly.
Oh, wait, it never has.
"
and post it to social media.

All the best,

BG
^^^. BEST post of the day ^^^

you are not alone
I placed my order more than 1 year ago, not the roof, just the panels and PW
inefficient people

Just an update
I had my city inspection 5/25 and it passed and within an hour received invoice from Tesla to pay up the amount
anything I need to look before I pay the whole amount
from what I understand, unless I Pay the process wont move forward for PTO, am I right

anything I need to look before I pay the whole amount
Is your system operating in self-consumption mode? If so, has it been performing as expected?
from what I understand, unless I Pay the process wont move forward for PTO, am I right
That was my understanding as well. I paid the whole about by credit card over the phone, but that may have been unwise because there was substantial additional delay requiring multiple phone calls before the paid-in-full invoice made its way to the interconnection team to send in the request for PTO.

Reactions: ngkl
Is your system operating in self-consumption mode? If so, has it been performing as expected?
yes, I am able to consume our house needs ,and excess is going back to grid, from what I see everything is operating normally
We did have a power outage few nights ago and power wall backed up

That was my understanding as well. I paid the whole about by credit card over the phone, but that may have been unwise because there was substantial additional delay requiring multiple phone calls before the paid-in-full invoice made its way to the interconnection team to send in the request for PTO.
ok, it said some think about paying from bank account, how long between payment and PTO in your case

Tx

Just when you think you've heard every BS thing under the sun...Tesla finds another way to A) Screw up, and B) Lie about it.

Since May 20, Tesla has shifted their delaying tactic of failing to submit my certificate of completion with Commonwealth Edison to laying blame on the Illinois Adjustable Block Program. After the last go-round, ComEd has indicated they have everything in place to approve my project EXCEPT a single page document that formally indicates the project is complete. They told me it could be hand written in pig Latin and that would be sufficient for ComEd to rubber stamp my project (yes...the agent actually did say that to me).

The latest lie, though, is that they can't submit a CoC until the Illinois ABP approves my project. Conveniently, they never FILED my ABP submission until last Thursday. So, I get on the phone with the Illinois ABP. Turns out...to my absolute shock <sarcasm>...the ABP submission has absolutely nothing to do with the CoC filing. ABP says that the installer can file the CoC at any time regardless of the ABP status.

I tell Tesla this and "they'll look into it" which, if I were new here I might actually believe...but, I wasn't born yesterday, so I know it's a lie.

Call the ABP people back and say "Look...what do you need to move my submission forward." Turns out the fine folks at Tesla never PAID the fee associated with the submission.

I mean...C'mon. What the ever-loving 🤬 are you people doing?

Get Tesla back and tell them:
A) I know that you're lying about waiting for the ABP to submit the CoC because the state of Illinois has made it clear the two are not related, and
B) I also know you incompetent 🤬 couldn't even be bothered to pay for the application you've lied about now for a week.

I have now filed a grievance with the Attorney General (and I've informed Tesla as such). I doubt Tesla cares (or will be impacted by the AG's eventual action), but it's a petty way for me to get some personal satisfaction while still being keelhauled by the worst customer service agency I've ever paid tens of thousands of dollars to enjoy engaging with pointlessly for going on two years.

Turns out that the Illinois ABP site (which I can search for my project) lists the e-mail and direct phone number of the Tesla national project manager for residential installations. Naturally, he hasn't picked up the phone (apparently the "ignore the customer" tactic trickles down from the top to the agents 🙂) but I'm guessing that my lawyer will eventually have some success (or my threats will trickle down to my liaisons).

Still keeping the nuclear option of asking them to remove the useless panels from my roof in the back pocket, but I imagine that's pretty close to being executed.

Tune in next time for more lies and stuff to look out for if you're an Illinois client.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ngkl and Vines