Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I hope I can get some feedback on the following situation:

System passed inspection end of May, I made the down payment (as required by the contract) within the next 2 days. The project advisor stated they are unable to reach out to PTO team to submit the paperwork since the down payment still shows as pending. I reached out Tesla FinOps and they stated that the down payment has been received.

There's clearly a disconnect between what my project advisor is seeing and the info provided by the FinOps.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Hello all, I hope I can get some feedback on the following situation:

System passed inspection end of May, I made the down payment (as required by the contract) within the next 2 days. The project advisor stated they are unable to reach out to PTO team to submit the paperwork since the down payment still shows as pending. I reached out Tesla FinOps and they stated that the down payment has been received.

There's clearly a disconnect between what my project advisor is seeing and the info provided by the FinOps.

Any feedback is appreciated!
does your Tesla account reflect that final payment is processed ?

I officially hate Tesla Energy Customer Service. I am nearly a year into this with my system getting installed in mid April. Passed local building inspections by early May. Paid in full by mid May. They said they would submit my PTO papers back in May but that I learned today turned out to be a lie. I finally managed to speak with someone a few days ago before they shut down the phone line. They told me the PTO was submitted and suggested I call my power company. Which I thought was their job but I guess I'm not paying them enough for that. So I track down my power company interconnections department but could only leave a message. Turns out I failed the power company inspection due to required labels not there (easy fix) but they found the Line and Load wires in the meter box cross which is a violation. That made me pretty angry that they did not know this requirement and I'm thinking it will be months before they will send someone to fix it, especially since I'm already paid in full. If anyone has noticed they no longer answer the Customer call number, they tell you to go chat instead. And of course they make that hard to find so they don't have to deal with you. I had to go to the new customer chat and got someone to chat with me. Got passed to three people on chat and they tell me the PTO was submitted 2 days ago and they just received the noticed of the failed inspection yesterday and will have to resubmit. No mention of fixing the problem. It is likely for me to be over a year to get PTO. I can't believe I just ordered a Model 3 from this company. A company that seems to despise their customers whose money funds their pay checks. So angry today I can barely see straight.

I officially hate Tesla Energy Customer Service. I am nearly a year into this with my system getting installed in mid April. Passed local building inspections by early May. Paid in full by mid May. They said they would submit my PTO papers back in May but that I learned today turned out to be a lie. I finally managed to speak with someone a few days ago before they shut down the phone line. They told me the PTO was submitted and suggested I call my power company. Which I thought was their job but I guess I'm not paying them enough for that. So I track down my power company interconnections department but could only leave a message. Turns out I failed the power company inspection due to required labels not there (easy fix) but they found the Line and Load wires in the meter box cross which is a violation. That made me pretty angry that they did not know this requirement and I'm thinking it will be months before they will send someone to fix it, especially since I'm already paid in full. If anyone has noticed they no longer answer the Customer call number, they tell you to go chat instead. And of course they make that hard to find so they don't have to deal with you. I had to go to the new customer chat and got someone to chat with me. Got passed to three people on chat and they tell me the PTO was submitted 2 days ago and they just received the noticed of the failed inspection yesterday and will have to resubmit. No mention of fixing the problem. It is likely for me to be over a year to get PTO. I can't believe I just ordered a Model 3 from this company. A company that seems to despise their customers whose money funds their pay checks. So angry today I can barely see straight.
Sorry to hear your experience, I stopped calling customer service, are you able to consume what your panels are generating , I am also waiting for PTO

Sorry to hear your experience, I stopped calling customer service, are you able to consume what your panels are generating , I am also waiting for PTO
Yes I can consume what I generate and save in the PWs, but this time of year in Houston TX the AC runs a lot and I'm taking from the grid a lot. I have not been able to generate any credits and who knows when this will be corrected and I can get PTO. It will certainly take my saga beyond the 1 year mark.

@Rocket_man , do you have free nights electricity plan to help some?
Not in my service area. I'm served by Texas New Mexico Power and they are in the process of swapping out all their old 3G meters, so no time based plans in their territory. Very poorly managed. They must not have got the memo that 3G was going away.

They will someday install new meters. Right now the meter on my house has to be read by a human being. Welcome to the 90's. But I'm hoping that once they have new meters they will support such plans. I'm on a 5-yr Net Metering plan and my rate is already a bit lower than new rates. So I'm not sure if a different plan is better for me or not. My co-worker is also in TNMP area and has Tesla Solar and has a different cellular connected meter. So they must be able to install supporting meters for Solar customers, but I need to get Tesla to fix my install which they are not motivated to do.

This thread seems chock full of horror stories, which is kind of the point of this thread. So I'm wondering if these are anomalies or if this is what everyone should expect?

I'm in Los Angeles (DWP), does anyone have recent experience about how long it took to get PTO after making payment?

Any tips on what, if anything, can be done to minimize delays?

This thread seems chock full of horror stories, which is kind of the point of this thread. So I'm wondering if these are anomalies or if this is what everyone should expect?

I'm in Los Angeles (DWP), does anyone have recent experience about how long it took to get PTO after making payment?

Any tips on what, if anything, can be done to minimize delays?
Call, call, call... Call Tesla on the status of the PTO paperwork submission. Call DWP to see if Tesla is telling the truth. Repeat every couple of days. Like most phone banks the people you get are hit and miss but eventually you will get someone that can actually move things along faster (i.e. actually call the interconnection department for real status and expedite).

Not sure if @KHYE is still following the forum but he was able to get PTO reasonably fast with DWP earlier this year.

Call, call, call... Call Tesla on the status of the PTO paperwork submission. Call DWP to see if Tesla is telling the truth. Repeat every couple of days. Like most phone banks the people you get are hit and miss but eventually you will get someone that can actually move things along faster (i.e. actually call the interconnection department for real status and expedite).

Not sure if @KHYE is still following the forum but he was able to get PTO reasonably fast with DWP earlier this year.
I'm with SCE, not DWP. I read that now you can't even call Tesla Advisor anymore, lol. You can only request callback.

I'm with SCE, not DWP. I read that now you can't even call Tesla Advisor anymore, lol. You can only request callback.
Yes, Tesla doesn't even want to talk to their annoying customers anymore.. 'don't call us, we'll call you!' I aske through Text today for an update from my PA. I'm not even sure I have a PA anymore, it is just a random person on the other end that looks in my file. I asked them for an update of how they are going to fix the problem with my install that failed inspection. The reply was 'PTO can take 60-90 days' They not only don't want to talk to you, they don't even want to text you. Worst customer service I've ever dealt with in my adult life. They only want to get any information is to go to the web site and request a call back. I wonder if my PA is really a 'bot' ? Get the reference? In this case I'm guessing more than 5% of text responses from Tesla are bots.

This level of customer service from someone who has paid them $48K and for some stupid reason I have a Model 3 on order. I'm really doubting if I just made a 2nd mistake deciding to deal with Tesla. Horrible horrible company.

Northern California, PG&E
Installed and finalized building permit in Sept 2021 and received PTO withing 15 days.
However the actual NEM accounting took another four to five months. It was done retroactive to my PTO and I paid some of those bills and the last two I only paid the minimum. As a result I still have a credit which is getting larger as I approach my True Up in three months. I expect a refund but not because I produced more than I consumed.

Just when you think you've heard every BS thing under the sun...Tesla finds another way to A) Screw up, and B) Lie about it.

Since May 20, Tesla has shifted their delaying tactic of failing to submit my certificate of completion with Commonwealth Edison to laying blame on the Illinois Adjustable Block Program. After the last go-round, ComEd has indicated they have everything in place to approve my project EXCEPT a single page document that formally indicates the project is complete. They told me it could be hand written in pig Latin and that would be sufficient for ComEd to rubber stamp my project (yes...the agent actually did say that to me).

The latest lie, though, is that they can't submit a CoC until the Illinois ABP approves my project. Conveniently, they never FILED my ABP submission until last Thursday. So, I get on the phone with the Illinois ABP. Turns out...to my absolute shock <sarcasm>...the ABP submission has absolutely nothing to do with the CoC filing. ABP says that the installer can file the CoC at any time regardless of the ABP status.

I tell Tesla this and "they'll look into it" which, if I were new here I might actually believe...but, I wasn't born yesterday, so I know it's a lie.

Call the ABP people back and say "Look...what do you need to move my submission forward." Turns out the fine folks at Tesla never PAID the fee associated with the submission.

I mean...C'mon. What the ever-loving 🤬 are you people doing?

Get Tesla back and tell them:
A) I know that you're lying about waiting for the ABP to submit the CoC because the state of Illinois has made it clear the two are not related, and
B) I also know you incompetent 🤬 couldn't even be bothered to pay for the application you've lied about now for a week.

I have now filed a grievance with the Attorney General (and I've informed Tesla as such). I doubt Tesla cares (or will be impacted by the AG's eventual action), but it's a petty way for me to get some personal satisfaction while still being keelhauled by the worst customer service agency I've ever paid tens of thousands of dollars to enjoy engaging with pointlessly for going on two years.

Turns out that the Illinois ABP site (which I can search for my project) lists the e-mail and direct phone number of the Tesla national project manager for residential installations. Naturally, he hasn't picked up the phone (apparently the "ignore the customer" tactic trickles down from the top to the agents 🙂) but I'm guessing that my lawyer will eventually have some success (or my threats will trickle down to my liaisons).

Still keeping the nuclear option of asking them to remove the useless panels from my roof in the back pocket, but I imagine that's pretty close to being executed.

Tune in next time for more lies and stuff to look out for if you're an Illinois client.
Been about 5 weeks since my latest update. Here's another one.

Took a while, but Tesla finally admitted that the reason they WON'T file the certificate of completion for PTO (despite telling me....(checks notes) FOURTEEN times in the past 60 days that they HAD filed my PTO request. :rolleyes:) until after they receive confirmation from the Illinois Adjustable Block Program is because the ABP approval means that Tesla will get paid for the offset they provided me against my production for the first 25 years.

So...two things here.
1) Hey, uh, Tesla...that ABP filing is you confirming the competence of your own work to the state bureaucrats. So, let me see if I've got this straight, you aren't confident in your own installation and paperwork supporting your installation to file my PTO concurrent with the ABP filing? I see.... My confidence in your work on my roof is skyrocketing by the second!
2) And, uh, I paid you in full for the work which you're now basically telling me you're concerned about not passing ABP inspection? Why did I pay you again? Why is it you won't file the PTO and ABP paperwork concurrently? Ah...yes...I understand now, the customer comes last in this scenario. If your paperwork isn't approved, that means Tesla doesn't get paid for the credits that they "bought" from me against my bill, and heaven forbid I should be using the product I've paid for and own while Tesla figures out the error of their ways.

So, we sit and wait for the ABP to finalize their review. And, amazingly, the paperwork passes inspection. So, I get Tesla into a chat, tell them to check the ABP site for confirmation, and get the PTO filed.

BTW...I've had good success with the chat function contrary to some of the posts here (I have to give credit when they do something right...or at least beneficial to me if I'm going to dust them for the rest of the crappy service). Unlike trying to call/text/e-mail one of the multiple project advisors assigned to me over the life of the project, the chat function always got me someone who acted pretty quickly on my behalf. I guess YMMV, but if I would have had the chat, I would have avoided some absolutely useless project advisors.

The chat agent confirms my proof of passing ABP (there is a public facing website where you can plug in the case number and get the current status, so there's no confusion about where we stand) and says they'll forward the request to submit PTO to interconnection department.

Naturally, I'm thinking, here we go again. Eventually they'll tell me for the literal 15th time that they've submitted my Certificate of Completion, only to find out that they haven't. But, to my amazement, I received an e-mail from ComEd (NOT Tesla ;)) the next day telling me that my project was in PTO review. They tell me 10 business days which I can do standing on my head at this point.

10 business days later, I call ComEd and say "What's up George?" (Like I said before, I'm on a first name basis with their Green Team people having called them....yes....no fewer than 15 times when Tesla was lying to me about having submitted my certificate of completion). Somehow, he sells me on the fact that the 10 business days that have clearly passed are actually 8 business days and they need 2 more. But, the next day...I get the magic e-mail from ComEd. PTO APPROVED!

I get Tesla into a chat immediately and confirm from them that I can power up the panels (assuming, of course, that the switches haven't rusted in place due to disuse), and the agent checked the status of the project and confirmed I was good to go. So, finally, this saga is over for me. Powered up and generating electricity.

At the end of the day, my project was 72 WEEKS from order/deposit to PTO. While there were some truly tragic/comic things that took place ahead of installation, my favorite of which being the time I was "Next in Line" and my installation would start tomorrow, which meant crews arrived to drop off a dumpster/portajohn/and all the tiles, only to have nobody show up until the crew returned to pick up the dumpster/portajohn/tiles a couple of days later and then I was told that "Next in Line" meant that my installation would start 3 months later. 🤡🤬

Unimaginably, though, the last 27 of those weeks were spent with a fully installed roof waiting for Tesla to file what was essentially a single piece of paper with Commonwealth Edison certifying the completion and satisfactory inspection of my installation. Of those 6+ months, ComEd took 12 days, and the ABP team took 17 days (after factoring out delays waiting for Tesla to pay for the submissions and correct documentation errors on their end). This would suggest that Illinois PTO should take about a month, but incompetence/understaffing/apathy at Tesla as well as a complete disregard for their customers mean that in Illinois, this product is just not ready for market.

If you are an Illinois customer stuck in purgatory, file a case with the Illinois Commerce Commission. They took my filing seriously, followed through, and called me back several times to check on changes in status. The Attorney General filing did absolutely nothing.

Congrats to those of you who had better experiences, apologies to those of you that have had sagas longer than mine.

I would not for a minute advise anyone in Illinois to buy a solar roof from Tesla at this time.
GLTY.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
I'm having issue with Tesla hasn't submit PTO application to Eversource for months. My system is

- 8KW solar panel + 2 Powerwalls.
- ordered on 2020-9
- initial installation was done on 2021-1
- electricians finished final work on 2021-3
- city inspection was done on 2021-4
- been waiting for PTO submitting to Eversource

As of today, August 12, 2021, Tesla has yet to file the PTO application. Does it sound normal to you? I contact the Tesla many times, but all I got is "wait", with no real update.
June 16 my inspection, Tesla said 90 days backlog. Omg your case has me worried in Ca.

Been about 5 weeks since my latest update. Here's another one.

Took a while, but Tesla finally admitted that the reason they WON'T file the certificate of completion for PTO (despite telling me....(checks notes) FOURTEEN times in the past 60 days that they HAD filed my PTO request. :rolleyes:) until after they receive confirmation from the Illinois Adjustable Block Program is because the ABP approval means that Tesla will get paid for the offset they provided me against my production for the first 25 years.

So...two things here.
1) Hey, uh, Tesla...that ABP filing is you confirming the competence of your own work to the state bureaucrats. So, let me see if I've got this straight, you aren't confident in your own installation and paperwork supporting your installation to file my PTO concurrent with the ABP filing? I see.... My confidence in your work on my roof is skyrocketing by the second!
2) And, uh, I paid you in full for the work which you're now basically telling me you're concerned about not passing ABP inspection? Why did I pay you again? Why is it you won't file the PTO and ABP paperwork concurrently? Ah...yes...I understand now, the customer comes last in this scenario. If your paperwork isn't approved, that means Tesla doesn't get paid for the credits that they "bought" from me against my bill, and heaven forbid I should be using the product I've paid for and own while Tesla figures out the error of their ways.

So, we sit and wait for the ABP to finalize their review. And, amazingly, the paperwork passes inspection. So, I get Tesla into a chat, tell them to check the ABP site for confirmation, and get the PTO filed.

BTW...I've had good success with the chat function contrary to some of the posts here (I have to give credit when they do something right...or at least beneficial to me if I'm going to dust them for the rest of the crappy service). Unlike trying to call/text/e-mail one of the multiple project advisors assigned to me over the life of the project, the chat function always got me someone who acted pretty quickly on my behalf. I guess YMMV, but if I would have had the chat, I would have avoided some absolutely useless project advisors.

The chat agent confirms my proof of passing ABP (there is a public facing website where you can plug in the case number and get the current status, so there's no confusion about where we stand) and says they'll forward the request to submit PTO to interconnection department.

Naturally, I'm thinking, here we go again. Eventually they'll tell me for the literal 15th time that they've submitted my Certificate of Completion, only to find out that they haven't. But, to my amazement, I received an e-mail from ComEd (NOT Tesla ;)) the next day telling me that my project was in PTO review. They tell me 10 business days which I can do standing on my head at this point.

10 business days later, I call ComEd and say "What's up George?" (Like I said before, I'm on a first name basis with their Green Team people having called them....yes....no fewer than 15 times when Tesla was lying to me about having submitted my certificate of completion). Somehow, he sells me on the fact that the 10 business days that have clearly passed are actually 8 business days and they need 2 more. But, the next day...I get the magic e-mail from ComEd. PTO APPROVED!

I get Tesla into a chat immediately and confirm from them that I can power up the panels (assuming, of course, that the switches haven't rusted in place due to disuse), and the agent checked the status of the project and confirmed I was good to go. So, finally, this saga is over for me. Powered up and generating electricity.

At the end of the day, my project was 72 WEEKS from order/deposit to PTO. While there were some truly tragic/comic things that took place ahead of installation, my favorite of which being the time I was "Next in Line" and my installation would start tomorrow, which meant crews arrived to drop off a dumpster/portajohn/and all the tiles, only to have nobody show up until the crew returned to pick up the dumpster/portajohn/tiles a couple of days later and then I was told that "Next in Line" meant that my installation would start 3 months later. 🤡🤬

Unimaginably, though, the last 27 of those weeks were spent with a fully installed roof waiting for Tesla to file what was essentially a single piece of paper with Commonwealth Edison certifying the completion and satisfactory inspection of my installation. Of those 6+ months, ComEd took 12 days, and the ABP team took 17 days (after factoring out delays waiting for Tesla to pay for the submissions and correct documentation errors on their end). This would suggest that Illinois PTO should take about a month, but incompetence/understaffing/apathy at Tesla as well as a complete disregard for their customers mean that in Illinois, this product is just not ready for market.

If you are an Illinois customer stuck in purgatory, file a case with the Illinois Commerce Commission. They took my filing seriously, followed through, and called me back several times to check on changes in status. The Attorney General filing did absolutely nothing.

Congrats to those of you who had better experiences, apologies to those of you that have had sagas longer than mine.

I would not for a minute advise anyone in Illinois to buy a solar roof from Tesla at this time.
GLTY.
Holy crap. Thats nightmare stuff!!

Just so this thread is not just doom and gloom, I'll share our experience which surprised me as I read this thread before ordering.
Placed the order on June 16th 2022, Installation was completed on July 15 and we even managed to get some panels moved from East side to West side. Tesla install crew was awesome and left the system running, it would automatically not export to grid. Inspection was done on 20 July and PTO received on 26 July. Our crew was from the Irving Texas location. Either we were just lucky or these horror stories are anomalies and due to bad employees. Hopefully the system works flawlessly to complete our good experience.

Reactions: Charles415
Just so this thread is not just doom and gloom, I'll share our experience which surprised me as I read this thread before ordering.
Placed the order on June 16th 2022, Installation was completed on July 15 and we even managed to get some panels moved from East side to West side. Tesla install crew was awesome and left the system running, it would automatically not export to grid. Inspection was done on 20 July and PTO received on 26 July. Our crew was from the Irving Texas location. Either we were just lucky or these horror stories are anomalies and due to bad employees. Hopefully the system works flawlessly to complete our good experience.

I think it's very state based. I see you are in Dallas and don't have PG&E. Glad to hear yours went well!

I wonder what the ratio of nightmare to dream is on a per state basis? Like California vs Texas, for example.

Tim