Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between VIN assignment and manufacture/delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, I’m curious how far in advance Tesla will assign me a VIN? Is it after the car is manufactured and ready for transport? Or will they assign the VIN before manufacture? I’m curious if I will have time to sell my current car to Carvana and cash my check before my MYP arrives.

in the early days of tesla, you would get a VIN and that would be the car that would be manufactured and sent directly to you, since Teslas used to all be custom order. Now they're mass produced in bulk and you are usually assigned a VIN for a car already made and ready for delivery, not a car that is being built. So VIN assignment usually gets you delivery within a month tops.

Even when assigned VIN, many things can (will) go wrong.

In early February I was assigned MYP VIN #1 (from factory) and delivery date - only to be revoked few days before pick up. Assigned VIN #2 (from delivery location) but was found to be with defective wireharness - so It too can't be delivered. VIN #3 was delivered end of March. I could have been without a car if I sold my current at first sight of a VIN.

YMMV.

Reactions: E90alex
As the title says, I’m curious how far in advance Tesla will assign me a VIN? Is it after the car is manufactured and ready for transport? Or will they assign the VIN before manufacture? I’m curious if I will have time to sell my current car to Carvana and cash my check before my MYP arrives.
Just curious. Is Carvana a good place to sell your car? I am also planning to sell my car but was thinking of selling it on FB Marketplace. Not sure what is the best car buyers you can get the best bang for your buck.

Just curious. Is Carvana a good place to sell your car? I am also planning to sell my car but was thinking of selling it on FB Marketplace. Not sure what is the best car buyers you can get the best bang for your buck.
Yes but they offer lowest recently.
Try Driveway, Givemethevin, Cargurus or Driveo.
You can also then have them beat the other higher offer.