TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How long can a Tesla keep you warm if stuck in winter?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by e-FTW, Mar 16, 2017.

1. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

This spectacular failure that has me ashamed of my roots (300 people stuck on a highway overnight in the middle of a city in a blizzard) has me asking:
    - How long can one stay warm in a Tesla stuck in a snowbank? Folks had to be rescued as they ran out of fuel to stay warm. Could a Tesla outlast this scenario?

A few variables:
    • Number of people
    • Available clothing and blankets
    • Number of seat warmers (winter package adds rear seat warmers in S)
    • Outside temperature
    • Wind
    • Sun

Now we'll assume proper hydration and food, helping everyone regulate their body temperature.
    What do we know? The figures here look promising. Although it is not tested in actual cold weather (have not watched video yet).

2. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Heat loss rate is a function of R-value, surface area, and temperature delta. If you ever find yourself stuck, bundle up and turn the heat down. I think this is where EVs will have the upper hand. You can't half-idle a car, but you can throttle the HVAC in an EV.

I beat the storm but tried camper mode at -24°C last Friday night in Lévis. The car will use 3kW to heat the cabin if you set the temperature high enough, but much less if survival is the objective temperature.

• Informative x 2
  3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I found a reference that said someone measured the Volt seats to take 45w.

That and a blanket would last a very long time.

• Like x 1