Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long can I expect a model 3 to last?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a little remorse on buying a 2019 M3. Thought it was a good deal. Car in perfect condition except for some creeping sounds etc. but now just thinking how long I can really expect the car the last.

Anyone here have an older model Tesla ? Do they really last long like the dealer says?

Having a little remorse on buying a 2019 M3. Thought it was a good deal. Car in perfect condition except for some creeping sounds etc. but now just thinking how long I can really expect the car the last.

Anyone here have an older model Tesla ? Do they really last long like the dealer says?
I have a 2018 vin 34k ish and runs great. Still get 300 miles fully charged and I have 51k miles on odometer. Only had to get new tires and WW fluid so far and new wiper blades too. My model 3 is long range single motor. Ordered day one in 2016

Upvote 0
but now just thinking how long I can really expect the car the last.
My question to you is how long did you keep/drive a car that you owned previously? Most people don't keep their vehicles very long and move onto the next after a few years. The average age of a car in the US is about 13years. If you average 15k miles a year you will reach 200k in about 13 years. I have a 2021 3LR AWD with almost 50k. So far, so good. I also have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia with 260k+ mi and a 2011 Expedition with 160k+ mi. I expect my Tesla to have much lower cost of ownership than the other ICE vehicles over the same mileage driven.

Upvote 0
My question to you is how long did you keep/drive a car that you owned previously? Most people don't keep their vehicles very long and move onto the next after a few years. The average age of a car in the US is about 13years. If you average 15k miles a year you will reach 200k in about 13 years. I have a 2021 3LR AWD with almost 50k. So far, so good. I also have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia with 260k+ mi and a 2011 Expedition with 160k+ mi. I expect my Tesla to have much lower cost of ownership than the other ICE vehicles over the same mileage driven.

My prius has 215K mileage, and I was really, really excited when it passed the 200K mark, but to think about it now.. if the average age of a car is 13 years old then passing 200K is not something out of the ordinary for cars now.

What would be truly amazing would be if Teslas on average reached 400K miles.. As for the lower cost of ownership, I have been doing a lot of repairs on my cars and saving money. I heard Teslas are not very diy friendly so it might be more expensive. Who knows..

Upvote 0
oh in terms of cost of ownership and running costs. I spent $6 on windshield washer fluid....
Well I also spent about $1000 on tyres... tyres are definitely the thing you really need to watch out for, they will get bald before you can blink if you enjoy that 0-60 too much. oh I also had free unlimited supercharging and spent about $800 on electricity (at home) in total over 5 years for almost 80,000 miles.. so sad to see that car go. Tesla app will calculate the electricity cost including home charging if you give it your providers rates

Upvote 0
I've have a 2019 M3P and drive it like I stole it. Still runs well and a couple data points should relieve you a bit. The pricing on non-warranty repairs is much better than other luxury brands. Battery change for $85, air filter for $50, etc... My Lexus was way more expensive to fix little things. For the big items like battery and motor, you have until 2026 for the powertrain warranty. Just enjoy the car and it will be a rewarding experience.
Why would you compare it to "other luxury brands" this isn't a luxury car....

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
2018 with 44k miles. Still using top buffer. On my 2nd set of new tires, so 3 sets in total counting the OEM tires. One DIY cabin filter replacement. I check my brake fluid each year with a tester. One set of Bosch wipers. 2nd bottle of wiper fluid. One 12v replaced after 50months. Two wheel alignments.

All in all, it's been super low maintenance after 4+yrs, and very inexpensive. I've driven my last two vehicles over 200k, so the plan was I'd drive this for 10+yrs and 200k miles, but my brother wants it. So, when my Cybertruck comes, I'll sell it to him. I know the CT is ugly, but I want it to be my electric RV, so get a popup camper and go skiing and biking around the country. I don't want to tow anything, and I don't want to get a dedicated diesel Sprinter RV for roadtripping. The CT will be my do everything vehicle.

Upvote 0
The longest I kept a car was a 2007 civic and leased a 2013 Volt

Upvote 0
Financially is the best to drive the car until it is no longer drivable or until it is time to let it go
The longer you keep, the better value you get out of it
I suspect all cars north of $60k or more after the warranty is a major concern
Where's the fun in that? Life is short. I realize some people consider their cars as an appliance. The same way I keep my toaster for 10+ years or until it breaks.
But my car is my daily fun. Love the way it drives, looks and regularly get compliments and questions.

Upvote 0
Where's the fun in that? Life is short. I realize some people consider their cars as an appliance. The same way I keep my toaster for 10+ years or until it breaks.
But my car is my daily fun. Love the way it drives, looks and regularly get compliments and questions.
Why can't it be both? I plan on keeping my Model 3 for a very long time (already almost at 5 years in and at over 100,000 miles). It is also my only car (by choice) and I use it for commuting, for fun, and for towing small trailers. People ask me why I don't get another vehicle for winter driving, or for commuting, or for towing/hauling. But I can do everything with my Model 3 and I love the car, why would I not want to use it every chance I get? I also take car of my car and add or do things to it that I know will help it stay in good condition for longer.

Upvote 0