Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long can I hold my MY delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI, for anyone in a similar boat / looking for placing their order on hold...

When we first ordered on 8/8/2022, our EDD was Feb 20 - April 17, 2023. That was fine, since we have a lease on a current car expiring in March. But with our EDD moving closer and closer, and now within December (18-31), we decided to reach out with our Sales Advisor to see if we could get a hold placed on our order. She said we could get a hold placed until 1/1/2023. Not sure how they chose that date, as I was assuming they may let us hold until 2/20/2023, which was the first date of our initial EDD window. In any case, delaying to Jan should help us to not have overlapping car payments, plus now there may be the bonus of getting the tax credit since we'll now be getting the car in 2023.

Reactions: EV Obsession
Just an FYI, for anyone in a similar boat / looking for placing their order on hold...

When we first ordered on 8/8/2022, our EDD was Feb 20 - April 17, 2023. That was fine, since we have a lease on a current car expiring in March. But with our EDD moving closer and closer, and now within December (18-31), we decided to reach out with our Sales Advisor to see if we could get a hold placed on our order. She said we could get a hold placed until 1/1/2023. Not sure how they chose that date, as I was assuming they may let us hold until 2/20/2023, which was the first date of our initial EDD window. In any case, delaying to Jan should help us to not have overlapping car payments, plus now there may be the bonus of getting the tax credit since we'll now be getting the car in 2023.
I tried to request a hold but got denied saying my initial EDD is Dec, 2022, and the current EDD is within the timeframe.

However, I have sent out another text to my M3RWD's SA (and sadly, he is not the SA for the MYLR) to see if they can put on hold until Dec-25, 2022. If the timeline of the MYLR from VIN to Delivery schedule is similar to the M3RWD we just picked up, it might be about 2 weeks time frame between I received the VIN notification, and finally picked up the car.

I will play by the ear. Worst case is they say they cannot put on hold; and I will see when I will get the VIN notification. Per the order agreement, it states:

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

I am not expert when it comes to understand the contracts or sales agreement. I wonder, for example, if I receive the text for schedule delivery on Dec-22, can I request to pick up the car up to Jan 20 (30 days)?

I tried to request a hold but got denied saying my initial EDD is Dec, 2022, and the current EDD is within the timeframe.

However, I have sent out another text to my M3RWD's SA (and sadly, he is not the SA for the MYLR) to see if they can put on hold until Dec-25, 2022. If the timeline of the MYLR from VIN to Delivery schedule is similar to the M3RWD we just picked up, it might be about 2 weeks time frame between I received the VIN notification, and finally picked up the car.

I will play by the ear. Worst case is they say they cannot put on hold; and I will see when I will get the VIN notification. Per the order agreement, it states:

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

I am not expert when it comes to understand the contracts or sales agreement. I wonder, for example, if I receive the text for schedule delivery on Dec-22, can I request to pick up the car up to Jan 20 (30 days)?
There is a big difference between declining a delivery and holding an order. You can decline once, but if you don’t take a delivery within 30 days, they can cancel your order. But even if you decline once, you can still request a hold. Your M Y purchase agreement has language in it telling you how long you can request the Hold. Lately that language says ”..up to 7 days..”. But older orders have longer hold language. Mine said ..up to 30 days..”. I requested 30 days hold and they gave me 24 days. It is not guaranteed.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between declining a delivery and holding an order. You can decline once, but if you don’t take a delivery within 30 days, they can cancel your order. But even if you decline once, you can still request a hold. Your M Y purchase agreement has language in it telling you how long you can request the Hold. Lately that language says ”..up to 7 days..”. But older orders have longer hold language. Mine said ..up to 30 days..”. I requested 30 days hold and they gave me 24 days. It is not guaranteed.
My SA texted me that I can hold the order up to 7 days.
How does the hold work? If I put a hold on the order for 7 days, does it mean 7 days later the hold will be removed and they proceed my order?

So, I can put the hold before I get the VIN?
Can I still put it on hold even I get the VIN?