Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long can I hold my order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I just ordered a model 3 LR and the estimated delivery date is February 2022 on the website. I have a question: If I don't want to pick up my car in February, how long can I hold my order until I want to pick up my car? (There is a sales in Tesla who told me they can hold my order for max of 6 months, but I saw the document on the order page which says I need to pick up my car within 30 days after they announced me, so I got a little bit worried....)

They’re cracking down on this right now because of high numbers of US-based speculators trying to endlessly delay deliveries in hope of securing a federal tax credit.

The current terms are relatively new, but the order agreement is accurate and the only thing that carries any weight. You have 30 days to take delivery from the time Tesla tells you the car is ready, or they may cancel your order and keep the order fee.

They’re cracking down on this right now because of high numbers of US-based speculators trying to endlessly delay deliveries in hope of securing a federal tax credit.

The current terms are relatively new, but the order agreement is accurate and the only thing that carries any weight. You have 30 days to take delivery from the time Tesla tells you the car is ready, or they may cancel your order and keep the order fee.
I am currently in Canada, this rule may impact Canada's consumers as well? (Because my sales told me there are 6 months hold time)

The current US order agreement says 90 days from the day the order was placed or 30 days after they tell you a car is ready for you. What does your order agreement say?
The current Canada order agreement says:"
Delivery. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a province where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will no-fy you of when we expect your Vehicle to
be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other loca-on as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle
within three (3) days of this date. If you are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other
customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first aMempt to no-fy you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep
your Order Deposit."

My understanding is that if the car is delivered and they notified me, I have to pick the car within 30 days and there is no "holding option" for it, otherwise they will cancel my order. Is my understanding correct?

Reactions: cdswm3
My understanding is that if the car is delivered and they notified me, I have to pick the car within 30 days and there is no "holding option" for it, otherwise they will cancel my order. Is my understanding correct?
Basically yeah. They “may” cancel your order and hold the deposit if you don’t take delivery within 30 days of them saying it’s time.

If you want/expect something different, you better get it in writing. The order agreement is binding - “the guy at the Tesla store said” is not.

The current Canada order agreement says:"
Delivery. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a province where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will no-fy you of when we expect your Vehicle to
be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other loca-on as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle
within three (3) days of this date. If you are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other
customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first aMempt to no-fy you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep
your Order Deposit."

The 90 day restriction is later in the US document in the "Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation" section:

We work to fulfill your order as quickly as we can. If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee. Alternatively, Tesla may give you the option to reconfigure your Vehicle at the current pricing.