Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long can it sit at 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always have my charging slider set to 85%. Always. Charged the car sunday afternoon, didn’t go out Monday, today Tuesday got in the car and it was at 100%. The app has the slider at 100%. It’s clearly been sitting at 100% for two days, I’m so pissed off. Anyone have this bug happen to them? I did update the app Saturday and didn’t check it before charging sunday,,,does app updates reset slider to 100%? What’s the degradation I might see? I’m already at 270 miles of original 310

Anyone have this bug happen to them?
People get all sorts of settings changed when updates are applied to the car and/or the app unfortunately.

I don't think you will see any noticeable reduction in range, only if you were to repeatedly charge to 100% and leave it would you see accelerated ageing. You may find the reported range has actually increased as the BMS would have balanced all the cells.

Reactions: gaspi101 and M1tch
If your battery is LFP there’s no issue. Otherwise stick Sentry on to run it down a bit and really don’t worry about it.
I had a big trip planned that got cancelled. Didn't fancy car staying at 100% - so put the climate control on for a bit from the app. I have no idea how long it took or what I let it get to - probably 90% but can't be sure. Sentry mode can scare passersby.

If LFP, 100% good. Nickel-based - occasional 100% better than long-term 20-30%

Yeah thanks. It’s a 2018 P3D so no LFP batteries…haven’t seen any range impact yet but after losing 40 mile in the first 20k miles, I’m a little skiddish
I see it like drinking alcohol too much, or eating processed food, you know what you should and shouldn’t do, and the occasional lapse isn’t really going to move the dial, too much and you’ll start noticing, lots of abuse and you’ll get noticeable issues.

But your lost range, I suspect you’d benefit from BMS calibration, and cell balancing (which ironically requires charging to 100%). There’s many a story of being having reportedly lost 30-40 miles of range get half or more of it back through some s8mole steps over a couple of weeks.

I see it like drinking alcohol too much, or eating processed food, you know what you should and shouldn’t do, and the occasional lapse isn’t really going to move the dial, too much and you’ll start noticing, lots of abuse and you’ll get noticeable issues.

But your lost range, I suspect you’d benefit from BMS calibration, and cell balancing (which ironically requires charging to 100%). There’s many a story of being having reportedly lost 30-40 miles of range get half or more of it back through some s8mole steps over a couple of weeks.
Thanks brother, good way to look at it. I’ve tried everything there is to try, I think, including running the battery to less than 10%, letting it sit for 8 hours, and then charging to 100%, and letting it sit for an hour before driving. I’m never getting above 270. Service Center did a BMS reset, and it immediately showed the 310 original, they told me it would calibrate in a few days with the actual range, 2 days later, 268 or something like that. If you have any ideas I’m all ears

Thanks brother, good way to look at it. I’ve tried everything there is to try, I think, including running the battery to less than 10%, letting it sit for 8 hours, and then charging to 100%, and letting it sit for an hour before driving. I’m never getting above 270. Service Center did a BMS reset, and it immediately showed the 310 original, they told me it would calibrate in a few days with the actual range, 2 days later, 268 or something like that. If you have any ideas I’m all ears
How’s it going with your 2018? I have the same model and I’m at 268miles @ 100% charge. About 55k miles on it

There have been issue with cars left on forecourts at 100% for weeks (less of an issue with Tesla as phantom drain takes care of that..) but worrying about a couple of hours seems overly paranoid to me.
I know of a Skoda Enyaq that's been sitting in a showroom with a single figure charge level for months.
I'll bet when they do finally charge it they will charge to 100% and leave it at that for the unsuspecting purchaser.

My car loses about 2% per day when just parked on the drive, so it's virtually impossible to leave it at 100% for an extended period.
That is not really normal.
It was the case many years ago but for most people now the phantom drain is a lot less than that like less than a quarter of that. I lost no more than that when I left mine at an airport for a week in April.
2% is far too little for sentry mode so I assume you have that turned off. The most likely explanations are either:

A) you are checking the app a lot and waking the car
B) some service you have given your credentials to is waking the car regularly
C) its an illusion based on parking the car with a warm battery and then checking it in the morning when the battery is stone cold.