Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long can you hold an order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a SR+ Model 3 on 4/21 and was anxiously refreshing my account page watching the order date ping around in June until the radar removal announced. Let's just say I'm very disappointed with how that was handled. I've asked them to hold my order and they said they will until the beginning of July.

I'm not optimistic that the safety testing and updated firmware will be done by then, plus I'd like to see what other owner's real world experiences are before I proceed.

How long will Tesla hold my order? Can I keep asking for a hold? Will they retain my original price? I realize that if I do remove the hold it will put me at the end of the queue.

Thanks.

I believe that they used to hold orders up to about 6 months, actually. Note to anyone else reading this response, this is a response of what I think the answer is to "how long will they hold an ORDER?" not "how long will they hold my car for me when they schedule me for delivery, which is a completely different thing.

Thanks, I guess we’ll see. And yes, I don’t expect them to hold a specific car. Sadly I seem to have very poor timing to order right in the middle of this transistion.

FWIW, I knew you would understand what I ment, because i was attempting to provide information on the question you asked. My "concern" (if you call it that) was along the lines of people surfing and reading the thread, but not "really" reading it, and confusing "how long will they hold an order" with "how long will they hold my car?".

At the end of every quarter, during the delivery push that happens, we get stories of people complaining about:

=========================
"WTF!?!?!? I have been waiting for this car for <insert number of weeks / months>, and tesla just randomly scheduled me for delivery! I am not available at that time due to <insert reason>, and wont be back until <insert time > 3 days>. They tell me they are going to give my car to someone else if I dont pick it up within 3 days of the date they randomly scheduled me ?!?!?!?!

This is the worst order process I have ever seen! When I bought my last car from <insert ICE car dealer>, I was out of town for 2 weeks and they happily held the car for me. Tesla is the worst!
===========================

So, I didnt want someone scrolling through this, not read it properly and think holding a "car" was being talked about, even though I know YOU knew exactly what I ment.

Reactions: beowulf573
I've had an order on hold since March 2020

I know of a person who had an original model 3 reservation, when they first opened, well into at least late 2020. I ALSO have read here, not too long ago (but I dont remember the specific TMC user or thread) that someone was told 6 months.

It might depend on when the reservation was made, or some other thing we dont know about. Anyone who made a reservation in 2020, well, 2020 was "2020" so I would kind of throw that out as far as "standard practice".

I know of a person who had an original model 3 reservation, when they first opened, well into at least late 2020. I ALSO have read here, not too long ago (but I dont remember the specific TMC user or thread) that someone was told 6 months.

It might depend on when the reservation was made, or some other thing we dont know about. Anyone who made a reservation in 2020, well, 2020 was "2020" so I would kind of throw that out as far as "standard practice".
Makes sense, it seems kind of arbitrary who they let change their order status to “on hold”. I am planning to take delivery in September (finally, after 18 months of working from home), so will be taking my order off hold in the next week or so.
Double bonus if any sort of legislation passes for a credit/rebate (unlikely)

For what it's worth I had no trouble putting my order on hold, I texted them on Memorial Day and they got back to me within the hour. They initially asked me to review the path to Tesla Vision web site, but I explained I had ordered a car with certain safety features and wanted to wait until those were again certified, they put my order on hold.

They were very responsive. I hope they will let me keep things on hold till this is resolved, but if not, c'est la vie. Disappointing, but what are you going to do.

Reactions: YourNickName
I put a M3 order on hold in Feb 2021. I, too, wanted to hold until the EV tax credit was official/passed.

Sales called me this past week and asked if I was ready to go off hold. I reminded them I was on hold until the tax credit was passed.

They called back 5 mins later and said they could no longer honor the 12 month hold. After 90 more days my hold would be cancelled. I asked for something formal stating this and they said I would get a text message.

Anyone else experience this?

I put a M3 order on hold in Feb 2021. I, too, wanted to hold until the EV tax credit was official/passed.

Sales called me this past week and asked if I was ready to go off hold. I reminded them I was on hold until the tax credit was passed.

They called back 5 mins later and said they could no longer honor the 12 month hold. After 90 more days my hold would be cancelled. I asked for something formal stating this and they said I would get a text message.

Anyone else experience this?
Can't speak for your specific instance but I would suggest not waiting for an EV credit. The Infrastructure Bill has a looooong way to go and is in no way guaranteed to grant Tesla more EV credit. Biden and the Dems have a long and protracted fight to pass the IB and its accompanying bills through the Republicans. You may be waiting a year or two just for them to not issue Tesla/GM any more EV credit.