Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take to get your plates for my Southern California Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the slew of new Model Y owners getting their car in Southern California/ California, how long did it take you guys to get your physical license plates ?

Just curious as I'm not in a huge rush to mount them either but was wondering since majority of the Model Y's I see on my commute from home to work and vice versa in Los Angeles mostly have California Temp Plates.

For reference, I did home delivery so the car was parked outside of my house and they provided the paperwork and Fedex envelope to mail them in.

For the slew of new Model Y owners getting their car in Southern California/ California, how long did it take you guys to get your physical license plates ?

Just curious as I'm not in a huge rush to mount them either but was wondering since majority of the Model Y's I see on my commute from home to work and vice versa in Los Angeles mostly have California Temp Plates.

For reference, I did home delivery so the car was parked outside of my house and they provided the paperwork and Fedex envelope to mail them in.
Mine took approximately a month. Took delivery March 1st (home delivery), sent all the paperwork back to Tesla on March 2nd, and received my plates March 29 or 30.

Reactions: dc5itr888
I’ve never before purchased a car in CA. I’d like to get those black/yellow vintage plates… Do we fill out the registration paperwork at delivery? I know we pay the registry fees at delivery. Just trying to figure out when I might be able to select the non standard plates

I’ve never before purchased a car in CA. I’d like to get those black/yellow vintage plates… Do we fill out the registration paperwork at delivery? I know we pay the registry fees at delivery. Just trying to figure out when I might be able to select the non standard plates
I'm not 100% sure but I wanted those vintage black and yellow plates ( Referred to as 1960s Legacy Plates by the DMV) as well but I think you need to go to the DMV to get them and pay the extra $50 or so fees.

My regular California plates ended up taking 4-5 weeks as some previous people stated for theirs. Since I did Home Delivery, the Fedex envelope for registration was mailed back in once I completed.

The envelope my plates came in seem to have came from Tesla Delivery Center in Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles so I think its the "dealership" that sent them.

I asked my SA during delivery about the custom plates and he told me the same to go to the DMV.

Since I already have my regular CA plates, I'm just going to wait til next year when my tags expire to renew at a DMV to pay the extra for the legacy plates.

We got custom black/yellow plates on two new motorcycles a few years ago and we had to wait until regular plates arrived, then applied for the black/yellow custom plates after that. We could order them online, but had to pick them up from the local DMV in person. We will do the same with our new Y as soon as our regular plates arrive. We are in LA, btw.

Any experiences more recently to share? September delivery here; hoping to get my CA plates sooner rather than later.
I called the DMV and they still don't have any record of a vehicle registration application being submitted. It got the car two weeks ago. Tesla does everything in Tesla time -- very frustrating.

I couldn't get a hold of anyone at Tesla. Their Buena Park location does not pick up phone calls, and their voicemail is full.

I called the DMV and they still don't have any record of a vehicle registration application being submitted. It got the car two weeks ago. Tesla does everything in Tesla time -- very frustrating.

I couldn't get a hold of anyone at Tesla. Their Buena Park location does not pick up phone calls, and their voicemail is full.
What was your delivery experience at Buena Park? They are my scheduled delivery center but like you said no one ever picks up the phone, I was considering switching pick up to Costa MesA

What was your delivery experience at Buena Park? They are my scheduled delivery center but like you said no one ever picks up the phone, I was considering switching pick up to Costa MesA
They do touchless deliveries now. You find your car in the parking lot, log into the app to sign final paperwork and accept delivery, and that unlocks the car. Key cards and DMV docs to sign are inside the car. You drop off the DMV paperwork in a physical dropbox in the parking lot.

There were a small number of employees inside the showroom. I walked inside and asked one about the defects on the car (rear bumper cover and A-pillar trim not on properly) but they said they can't do anything as the service department was closed. He advised me to schedule a service appointment in the app instead. I did (the soonest appointment is three weeks away) and was given a generic repair estimate, to which I inquired via the app and never got a response.

I also had some issues with the app connecting to the car for the first time to unlock it, but after several minutes, it eventually worked and unlocked the car. Bummer you cannot inspect the interior without first accepting delivery. Can't imagine what it's like to take delivery of a $140K Plaid in this way. There is no way to get in touch with a responsive human being representative when buying a Tesla.

Reactions: Bklynguy

Why the rush? Everything DMV is slow (even more so now with COVID). You’ll get them Eventually.

Funny thing I was a car with "temp plates" that expired a year ago on the road the other day. Not sure about what the story is there, but someone messed up.

I received my 2023 Model 3 on Feb 15 2023 at the service center. I did not receive any documents to send back and have not received my plates or perm registration yet as of April 9th 2023. I am inpatient as i wouldlike to apply for the CA rebate program asap