Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you get used to no dash screen?

How long did it take you to get used to center screen?

• On my first ride, I naturally picked it up. I love without the dash screen.

Votes: 176 89.8%
  • It took me some days to get used to it.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • It took me some weeks to get used to it.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • It took me more than a month to get used to it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am still uncomfortable and I miss the dash screen from Model S or X. It would be nice to have it.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I absolutely hate center screen alone and regret buying the Model 3. I need the dash screen!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The part that threw me off for a while was no dash lights at night. I kept thinking I left my headlights turned off.
But I got used to it after a couple of weeks, and don't miss it now.
Air vent through the steering wheel is so worth it.
No more cold air blowing on my hands.

I had the same response. The first night, my initial reaction was “Oh no something is broken.” Now, having lights in front of me seems distracting.

How many people like watching a movie with someone in front using their cell phone? That’s a bit like how it feels now.

I had the same response. The first night, my initial reaction was “Oh no something is broken.” Now, having lights in front of me seems distracting.

How many people like watching a movie with someone in front using their cell phone? That’s a bit like how it feels now.

That's an interesting analogy.

You described the Model 3 windshield like a movie screen that unfolds the panorama of the nature for the driver.

Makes now want me to pack up and plan a trip to national park.

Reactions: GSP and MarkS22
I don't have a 3, but I test drove one a few weeks back and then rented one on Turo for a day. While I did get instantly used to the single screen, I still found myself preferring the larger, vertical orientation of the S. I also noticed - more than once - the 3 can definitely have an issue with reflections on that screen (some of which can wash it out). I can't help but think that a change in tilt (downward a degree or two and toward the driver a few degrees would go a long way toward relieving this). Just a couple of examples (note: for the driver, it is the right half of the screen that is impacted the most - right where those NAV instructions are located...for the passenger, I think the reverse is true):

tMjPGuZ2-AjWq9zModHy7vRjMBm2A9jItrSEMKn_9hAowU0eGRJIGeFO2xFfu3itA0rX7BaVc0D-tJthROCXCtzmSEvwIx9mgBdpipnuakgIRvtkO-5iT6FWnf_ZFYlLD24kAWNwcdjpX-piWnxfyWcm8lhQL8PzBBh4Tb8AE1sM25mjeQyIeFGrNjIN98POUyF-BUNGxRSp588nQ9Hb53Zry5uAUbvtM1aBxMyOzHDxLRFX62Y247ZWuWrQkfBElDrJ18-DnXxga0570ci_hvx6R-cyyGeD0FDwm5KPqV0oBYslHk4inlIlh_OnAXEneurQ6z6ulENgGhE4UHtItycRu-g9-9Q7oeg64LPgmdfFKkPqt-_lgT5JwsKde8rTyBbHYtGJsNKsBuyG1j0-a6BtYBzjWnOJo1zc5PhLbSYkSBB7GUvb771WssownzmrT4s9NV1_c32NQieCxnYOIJ1K4QYHpfFYEqAlGQ35-TmG1Ib3g-Qmk_J-L5P7Ru-gnO9hKBhvviDsZIprEz8ejW3oHWsWKPh2oLLaCGna0nS96BBs8_Akg_rGqKP0hKhfMv6oxllOLg5de3R2HxIN-PJEHCgOn1h5Cp0niDP_36MKJeaaWo6xW94kN_j1zel-=w1668-h1251-no

ay5be7Ki7isVh6-LzQBs5xmGGCVJJVhivURmig4zZBpfOF47dyNEbWqcxyuvsfPlAb7fpImzPJs2DyYdvfTExN1DJIGLDx-JlTfNvur1itbxZfMomHgXqCEov-NzA-Uk4Dwg1z1mx9gLpAhapqD7fD5s-71M1l0NA754ELz1R2eF_n5cNf3fnH10exdAt-qiBdbEJvn8rSKkQQC4U3aev7V8eSkBGIxeXCFhjfJ09jwF07BxtOmkXGda6HCP6UAc2XI7m9ACxtBPPIHF19Np6n-MgeIO_ylmPwW5PO8p6lFnce02p2_mUYoRCpU-rxCF4xfP2hqp4To_h4wliaxzJIu_P9ApgrwBaelm2x44ZIMfDsqftuoZeJV9PzLjzuWDRJvOpCBN4R440jwDmJnCbJYUXH2UTCIoBHrOtD7clniU9dPNyEbbOvYa5XUpysz0RNwBjLTSb595FMAOgWyUTiCSYlM3yBvkwjQvdGp7KE1QDVEufNrg9f-GhksXAdxs7qQZC7U27f1yGn9Hz3nH0gBVgWKYWH24Bgi40-A6j_EtMYi7z71ZfdznDlo2NXm6CSc4fg3hXeEHQe1Nq-cv41X96FO2T0cJlJtd9FUHP3KIAs91iWfMMxAkHOVKrKvn=w1668-h1251-no

Keep in mind, in a Tesla there is no need for a tach, oil pressure monitoring, battery voltage level, which gear you're in and so forth to monitor. The only thing you really need to monitor is your speed - and that's really easy to monitor where they've placed the speedo in the upper left.

Reactions: gavine
After driving an S for a year, we rented a 3 on Turo for a weeklong road trip. It took me less than a mile to “get” the screen. I was admittedly in unfamiliar areas so I was hyper vigilant on my surroundings and making sure not to put a crease on some dudes nice car.

I realized during this trip how infrequently I look at the speedometer overall. Granted I’ve been driving for 20+ years, but unless you’re doing something dumb, you should be moving with the flow of traffic and be OK. Yes you need to be able to see it, but glancing at it occasionally was a non-issue on the center screen.

Everything else, center screen was totally fine - most of the tasks on most cars is performed on the center. I had no trouble with AP and even the nags were in my periphery.

After getting back into the S, it felt a little more claustrophobic even though it’s such a larger car - the “screens... SCREENS EVERYWHERE!” feeling made me realize how much I enoyed the minimalist interior of the 3. Looking forward to seeing Tesla incorporate this throughout their lineup.

Reactions: bpjod
Within 2-3 minutes of test drive it was a non-issue.

However, I'm still one of those people that probably would have checked the box for an optional HUD upgrade if priced under $1,500. After driving in BMWs, it's a nice feature especially for turn-by-turn navigation and speed limit alerts.

That's an interesting analogy.

You described the Model 3 windshield like a movie screen that unfolds the panorama of the nature for the driver.

Makes now want me to pack up and plan a trip to national park.

Exactly. Find somewhere beautiful where you can drive. Roll down the windows and just stop and enjoy it. Between the silence and the lack of instrument cluster, it definitely makes you feel more connected to the outside world.

Exactly. Find somewhere beautiful where you can drive. Roll down the windows and just stop and enjoy it. Between the silence and the lack of instrument cluster, it definitely makes you feel more connected to the outside world.

We took a small vacation this summer. Got stuck in heavy traffic along Highway 1 by Big Sur. Activated autopilot, rolled down the windows, turned the radio off, enjoyed the view. One of the best memories from our trip.

Wow, I did not expect whopping 70 people got used to it from day 1 and furthermore find it aesthetically and functionally more attractive than the front dashscreen like MS or MX.

/thread

This was a big discussion when Model 3 was released 3/31/2016. Many people were very concerned and some hoped that 3 should at least get the HUD to make it up for it. I guess HUD was not necessary after all.

I am glad it turned out nonissues for 3 owners.
I personally don't want a HUD, but when driving the Model S, the 2nd screen on the dash is really nice. I wouldn't mind having that in the 3.

Like others, one of the things that stood out for me was how dark the area behind the steering wheel is at night. The first time or two that I drove at night, I'd have momentary flashes of concern that "something" is wrong then I'd instantly remember that it's "supposed" to be dark behind the wheel.

The only other thing that took me more than the first day to adjust to is the fact that the LEFT turn signal indicator is flashing on the RIGHT side of the wheel. Within a week I had adapted to that.

I had a Prius so I was already used to looking near center. Of all the loaner S I had, I miss the center screen of the Model 3 while I'm in the Model S. The screen behind the wheel is useless to me since I can't see anything on it. Only thing I liked is the Nav on the Model S but I use Nav 1 or 2 times per year.

It was never really an issue, but it probably took 2-3 days before it was "normal". Two weeks later though I still get the "Oh sh**" sensation for just a second when the car turns on at night and there's nothing lighting up in front of me, just like a couple others have mentioned. This is from someone who was very concerned at no driver's binnacle when the car first debuted.

Reactions: Zythryn
I liked it the moment I sat in the driver's seat.
It did take me 2-3 days to get used to it at night. I had to relearn 30 years of old habits, but for that to happen in just a few days impressed me :) (I credit the car for that, not the driver;))

I would imagine that people who had a center-mounted GPS or entertainment screen in their car would adapt more easily to it.

I installed an aftermarket Pioneer AVIC screen, mostly for GPS, in my Camry and had a color touch screen in my Oldsmobile. It really took all of 15 seconds to 'get used to' the Tesla.