Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Did it Take your MS to Go from "Sourcing Parts" to "In Production"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finalized my order on August 18th, and within a day it was showing "Sourcing Parts". It was nearly 3 weeks until it switched to "In Production" on Sept 5th and it's still showing that today, 7 days later. Delivery is scheduled for the 23rd, so it should be done soon (I hope). I emailed my DS a couple days ago on Sept 10th, asking about progress and got this reply:

"Thanks for checking in! As of right now, everything is still looking good for your September 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] delivery. At this point in time, your Model S is in the stage of production where the Chassis is built. It is moving along nicely!"

I received an email saying that it was in production a couple of days before the website reflected the status change. Hoping that it is 3-5 days because that would put my vehicle out of product either end of this week or early next week. Would have liked to do a factory pickup, but the supercharger network between the Bay Area and Seattle is not yet complete. Hoping that it doesn't take more than a couple of days to get to Seattle once production is complete.

I was planning a factory delivery too -- until I found out that a factory delivery means paying California sales tax! I guess I'll just have to wait for them to bring it to me in Nevada. Hope yours arrives soon!

I have what looks like a VIN number assigned, is the number people are putting in their sigs the last 5 digits of the VIN? How long after VIN assigned are most people getting contacted by a DS for dates?

There are websites you can run your new VIN through. I did it myself and sure enough it comes up as a 2013 Tesla Model S. I'm still anxiously awaiting for my status to change to "In Production". Go Tesla Go!

Hi, I confirmed order on 8/19, they were slow giving me a VIN and contacting me via email. but I did get a delivery date of 9/24 and it still says sourcing parts. I was told that the car should go into production next week, so it sounds like 3-5 days in production, but not sure. I am hoping my dashboard goes to "in production" soon!

Yeah!!! Finally, I wend from sourcing parts to: In production, getting closer and closer :)

In ProductionThe Tesla Factory is building your Model S.

Wow, sounds like they've ramped up on the time for delivery. Not bad.
I've been concerned that half the finished S's are being shipped to Europe. Does anyone know if that has started yet??? I just confirmed mine last Sunday and I'm anxiously awaiting seeing it go "Into Production" as of today... no joy yet. Nobody from Tesla has contacted me either... Waiting, waiting, waiting...

I've been concerned that half the finished S's are being shipped to Europe. Does anyone know if that has started yet??? I just confirmed mine last Sunday and I'm anxiously awaiting seeing it go "Into Production" as of today... no joy yet. Nobody from Tesla has contacted me either... Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Hi,
It took me 3 weeks + before it went to "in production" and it took me almost 1-2 weeks before I even got a VIN or had any contact from Tesla regarding the order. I have seen a lot of postings where it happens faster and/slower then mine, so I guess like everyone says, we have to be patient, not that I like it :)

Wow, sounds like they've ramped up on the time for delivery. Not bad.

Yep. Was suppose to go into production Monday 16th, and went in on Weds 11th. If they complete early next week Mon or Tues, should be on a truck headed this way sometime next week. They gave me an earlier slot as they want all P85+ and P85's cars sold before end of quarter--or sold I was told. Glad I didn't have to wait too long :cool:.

I know it's painful, right now they are cranking on all of the cars being delivered this month (for quarter close), in order to get hit their sales numbers. Oct deliveries will be coming...

Last edited:

Mine took 2 weeks from confirmation to starting production. Also, no one from Tesla proactively reached out to me. I looked at the Delivery Center that was identified for my car on MyTesla and sent them an email. I then heard back from a DS regarding timing and some other things. Also, be aware that my car did not post as "in production" on the website until a couple of days after I received an email notifying me that it was in production.

I look at it this way... the website says 2 months for a standard 85. Looks like they're operating closer to 5 weeks right now (assuming that you confirm quickly). That's pretty good! still, doesn't make it easy. I've got ~2 weeks until official delivery of my car and I am checking every day to see if the date is pulled in at all.

Mine took 2 weeks from confirmation to starting production. Also, no one from Tesla proactively reached out to me. I looked at the Delivery Center that was identified for my car on MyTesla and sent them an email. I then heard back from a DS regarding timing and some other things. Also, be aware that my car did not post as "in production" on the website until a couple of days after I received an email notifying me that it was in production.

I look at it this way... the website says 2 months for a standard 85. Looks like they're operating closer to 5 weeks right now (assuming that you confirm quickly). That's pretty good! still, doesn't make it easy. I've got ~2 weeks until official delivery of my car and I am checking every day to see if the date is pulled in at all.

That's a good suggestion. Should I send it to the Fremont Factory or the Dealer? Or both.... :D

- - - Updated - - -

Holy CRAP! I checked the HTML email I got when I confirmed, and it says "In Production"!!! The website of course, says different... Which one should I believe??? Anyway, I just emailed them and we'll see. Maybe they are trying to crank mine out for the end of the Quarter too. Oh man... the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. :D :D :D

Attachments

• Tesla In Production!.png
    Tesla In Production!.png
    212 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
That's a good suggestion. Should I send it to the Fremont Factory or the Dealer? Or both.... :D

- - - Updated - - -

Holy CRAP! I checked the HTML email and it says "In Production"!!! The website of course, says different... Which one should I believe??? Anyway, I just emailed them and we'll see. Maybe they are trying to crank mine out for the end of the Quarter too. Oh man... the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. :D :D :D

My confirmation email said in production as well. The dashboard has not updated and my delivery still says late October. I just sent TM an email to see what's up. Happy to take delivery earlier but I need to line up financing, insurance, charging, etc.