Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did Model 3 Deposit Refund take?

How long did your Model 3 Deposit Refund take?

• Under a week

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 1-2 weeks

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 2-3 weeks

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 3-4 weeks

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Over a month

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should also go online and dispute the charge on your credit card. The CC will notify Tesla which will also get their attention.
I don't recommend disputing the charge if it was originally legit, it's called fraud.

Work with Tesla to get the refund and/or call customer service. Many people suggest it could take anywhere from two weeks to a month depending on the bank.

I don't recommend disputing the charge if it was originally legit, it's called fraud.

Work with Tesla to get the refund and/or call customer service. Many people suggest it could take anywhere from two weeks to a month depending on the bank.
No it's not "fraud", that ridiculous and totally innacurate. Under the reason for why you want this off of your CC charges you write the specific reason, how you cancelled and that it's been over 30 days and you have not received any confirmation from Tesla that they received it. Whether you called, wrote or cancelled online is irrelavent as long as you followed Tesla's process for cancellation.

No it's not "fraud", that ridiculous and totally innacurate.
Chargeback fraud - Wikipedia

If following the correct process then follow the process instead of trying to shortcut it.

From the Model 3 reservation FAQ:
Can I cancel my Model 3 reservation?
Yes, you can cancel at anytime. Log in to your Tesla account and you will find a link to cancel. Refunds can take up to three weeks depending on your country of delivery.

Once you're over three weeks then the very first step is calling Tesla. If calls are unsuccessful, then pursue other routes such as chargeback.

Last edited:
Chargeback fraud - Wikipedia

If following the correct process then follow the process instead of trying to shortcut it.
Your link disproves your "fraud" claim. Not to embarrass you but here's the text from your link. This was a "deposit" not a purchase of a product nor did the OP "receive" the product (obviously it's not even made yet).

"Chargeback fraud, also known as friendly fraud, occurs when a consumer makes an online shoppingpurchase with their own credit card, and then requests a chargeback from the issuing bank after receiving the purchased goods or services. Once approved, the chargeback cancels the financial transaction, and the consumer receives a refund of the money they spent. When a chargeback occurs, the merchant is accountable, regardless of whatever measures they took to verify the transaction.[1]"

• Informative
Reactions: oktane and mmd
Your link disproves your "fraud" claim. Not to embarrass you but here's the text from your link. This was a "deposit" not a purchase of a product nor did the OP "receive" the product (obviously it's not even made yet).

"Chargeback fraud, also known as friendly fraud, occurs when a consumer makes an online shoppingpurchase with their own credit card, and then requests a chargeback from the issuing bank after receiving the purchased goods or services. Once approved, the chargeback cancels the financial transaction, and the consumer receives a refund of the money they spent. When a chargeback occurs, the merchant is accountable, regardless of whatever measures they took to verify the transaction.[1]"

It's wikipedia... you can substitute "transaction" with "purchase" if it makes you feel better.

• Disagree
Reactions: oktane and msnow
Oh, come on you two.
Tesla is not trying to defraud OP, they are just a few days late.

OP should just take a deep breath, and call Tesla in a week if the money has not showed up. Reserve credit card disputes for real merchant problems.
That's right it's not fraud to ask for your money back on a deposit particularly if you didn't receive anything. I don't think anyone was saying Tesla is committing fraud though.

Reactions: oktane
Not Tesla related, but I can say that banks have been running a bit slow lately due to the holidays (at least one of my banks has).

That is generally a B/S excuse. I do dispute refunds all the time and just general credit card refund testing. To the majority of banks in the U.S, the refund gets issued on the same day as we initiate it. Often it is visible within seconds - as quick as you see a pre-authorization.

When a merchant is telling you "Your bank may be taking a week to refund this", the merchant is sitting on the money for that period before issuing the refund.

To the OP:
Call first on Monday morning for the fastest response or email [email protected]

Not Tesla related, but I can say that banks have been running a bit slow lately due to the holidays (at least one of my banks has).

Let us know the results of your call. I'd be interested to see what's up.
Again, you're passing off false information, please stop! As soon as you designate a charge on your credit card as being in question it sets a flag to both the credit card company and the retailer, in this case Tesla. Since no actual product was received the credit is most times instantaneous or a notice is sent to the "retailer" to contact you to resolve. These transactions are electronic transactions.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush and JeffK
Again, you're passing off false information, please stop! As soon as you designate a charge on your credit card as being in question it sets a flag to both the credit card company and the retailer, in this case Tesla. Since no actual product was received the credit is most times instantaneous or a notice is sent to the "retailer" to contact you to resolve. These transactions are electronic transactions.

This has nothing to do with my post. Also funds transfers via ACH take time due to fraud prevention measures (even though they are electronic)... The point that these take time is an undisputable fact. Tesla has already been notified by the OP.

There may be some hiccup, mix up, something. We can't know without contacting Tesla to find out the status of the refund. Taking an aggressive action such as attempting a chargeback without due diligence is not an appropriate response, especially if a transfer is already in progress.

Chargebacks should always be a last resort. Even the act of starting a dispute may cause Tesla to be charged a fee.
Anatomy of the Credit Card Chargeback Process
Chargebacks Explained | An Expert Chargeback Definition

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush and msnow
This has nothing to do with my post. Also funds transfers via ACH take time due to fraud prevention measures (even though they are electronic)... The point that these take time is an undisputable fact. Tesla has already been notified by the OP.

There may be some hiccup, mix up, something. We can't know without contacting Tesla to find out the status of the refund. Taking an aggressive action such as attempting a chargeback without due diligence is not an appropriate response, especially if a transfer is already in progress.

Chargebacks should always be a last resort. Even the act of starting a dispute may cause Tesla to be charged a fee.
Anatomy of the Credit Card Chargeback Process
Chargebacks Explained | An Expert Chargeback Definition
I'm not going to debate this any further with you. Having worked in this industry I can say that a) it's not "aggressive" to ask for your refund back particularly after a month of radio silence on a product you never received. There are drop downs on the request that state this specifically so the vendor or retailer knows exactly why. b) Tesla has no standing to hold this money without a notice to the OP. That's it for me, you can go on but I won't be seeing it. ;)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mmd and deonb
You are, by recommending a chargeback to resolve a couple day late refund.
See post #5. He's saying the act of asking for your money back from the credit card company is fraud and further cites Wikipedia definitions which unfortunately disprove his own argument. Again, other than you no one has said that Tesla has committed fraud by being a month (not a few days) late in returning his deposit.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
Most companies do not "cut" checks on a daily basis but on a weekly basis. They also have to go through an approval process (Publicly Traded has additional approvals normally) that can take time. Say for example you turned in the request on a Tuesday, it takes 10 working days for approval, then they release the funds on the following Friday. That could be 25 days before you see the money.

If you turn it into the credit card company, you can rot in... I will try and be nice but it causes all kinds of accounting issues and is a pain.

Reactions: JeffK