Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do brake pads last?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 2015. ~85k miles (137k km). Had to take my Model S in three times to fix brake judder. Tesla never really fixed it. Now, at 85k miles, I'm told I need new pads and rotors, because it's metal on metal. $871 (€785).

To all of you claiming you have driven 200k miles on either your Tesla or other car & still have good pads & rotors: sure I'm pissed.

To all of you saying my Tesla brakes will last almost forever: oh, please.

"But you're not using brake regen." Um, yes. Yes I am. Religiously.

Unfortunately I'll never know about my brake life on my p85d, somebody decided to pull in front of me and the car was totalled before it hit 50k miles.

I now have an X with the Raven drivetrain. If brakes would have been a problem before they are much less of a problem now. The regen is so good on Raven I truly almost never use my brakes.

Reactions: nwdiver
Model S 2015. ~85k miles (137k km). Had to take my Model S in three times to fix brake judder. Tesla never really fixed it. Now, at 85k miles, I'm told I need new pads and rotors, because it's metal on metal. $871 (€785).

To all of you claiming you have driven 200k miles on either your Tesla or other car & still have good pads & rotors: sure I'm pissed.

2015 at 108K miles. Down about 2mm on original pads. They will outlive the car.

.... how much are you using your friction brakes? I've got ~162k miles on my 2012 P85 and my brakes are still >90% because I almost never use them.... maaaaybe ~once a week will my foot touch the brake pedal with the car going >15mph.

Same here. Brakes are pretty much never used except to come to a complete stop after gen gets me down to 5 mph. They'll last forever at that rate.

Reactions: nwdiver
:):):)

you live in an area with winter, yes? Those calipers need servicing: annually at least, semi annually even better, or they are dragging 100% of the time and wearing out pads and rotors regardless of the regen. Costing you energy and performance as well.
Or you are one of those people who drive with both feet on the pedals: wait, that is not possible in a Tesla.