Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do rotors and brakes last?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
24000km and one of my back rotors looks scraped.
Use max regen and barely use brakes - could something be stuck on the pad?

Attachments

• 20221106_142100.jpg
    20221106_142100.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 20221106_142053.jpg
    20221106_142053.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 206
24000km and one of my back rotors looks scraped.
Use max regen and barely use brakes - could something be stuck on the pad?
When the rotor is cool, you can touch it, and run your finger over it to make sure whether it's grooved or not. Just looking at it, it looks typical of a brake that isn't getting much use. Rather than something grooving the rotor, it looks like spots where the pad isn't pressing against the rotor leaving a rust strip.

Look up "service mode". Use that to run the brake burnishing mode. It'll walk you thru the steps.

Thanks for the answers.
Did feel there were grooves - and did try service mode (that was cool) - but may need a longer strip of road than my street.

Will cancel my service request in the meantime if its nothing to worry about.

Again - thanks for the replies.

Reactions: jmiller07
Agree with the rest, try to hit the brakes pretty hard weekly. Turn regeneration brakes to low and use the brakes for a while till get cleaned up. Then switch back to standard.

All the regen 1-pedal driving does not give the standard brakes a workout - so you have too - from time to time.

Agree with the rest, try to hit the brakes pretty hard weekly. Turn regeneration brakes to low and use the brakes for a while till get cleaned up. Then switch back to standard.

All the regen 1-pedal driving does not give the standard brakes a workout - so you have too - from time to time.
Regenerative breaking settings removed on 2021+ before someone says he doesn't have this option.

You should use brakes every now and then (40-50 mile and with lite push to slow the car till 10) to remove rust and any debris.

If you clean them regularly and drive normal. they should last you 50k miles or more.

Last edited:
You should use brakes every now and then (40-50 mile and with lite push to slow the car till 10) to remove rust and any debris.

If you clean them regally and drive normal. they should last you 50k miles or more.
Corr: 100K miles, or more.

We are still on our original brake pads (2018 Model Y) and now at 100,484 miles

First, it looks like you may have had some small dirt/gravel or something that got in there and enabled the grooves to get formed. That isn’t uncommon. It’s also not really an impairment to brake function, more an annoyance as it tends to squeak, make grinding sounds, etc… often a series of gravity hard brakes will tend to dislodge anything typical.

If you look at the rotor, there is a very tiny lip on the inside circumference of the rotor which is a bit of a control. WHEN the brakes are cold, in the morning say you can run your finger from that very inside lip to the rotor and feel how much of a drop off there is. From the photo (hard to see) that lip looks very small so I would say that the usable surface of the rotor is NOT reduced much. That is what one would expect from an EV that does a lot of regenerative braking.

If you want to try and smooth it out and if there is no longer the gravel/gunk/dirt on the pads that I mentioned, just turn regen braking OFF or to LOW for a couple of days/weeks depending on driving usage and it will use the pads more and smooth out the small grooves and take off some of that rust (not really an issue).

Assuming the actual rotors are NOT used up or compromised, any good auto shop that does brakes should be able to remove them, TURN them (they put in on a spindle and even out the surface) and then either replace just the pads or do the same with the pads and you should be good to go again. That shouldn’t cost more than about $100 -$150 for that effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoMike
Has anyone seen an alloy of rotor material that has been used on brake rotors that might be more resistant to surface rust?
Shame that issue has not been solved and standardized to keep them more resistant to issues and help aesthetically.