Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do we get software updates? [how many years?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when can I expect software updates to stop? I assume as the car ages, updates will stop. When is the car out of support from a software perspective? Is there an upgrade path for the hardware so o can keep getting updates?

When Tesla decides, subject to legal requirements. When Tesla decides, subject to legal requirements. If Tesla decides, subject to legal requirements.

Vehicles in the USA have safety recall support for at least 10 years.
Other than that, it's up to Tesla. They don't guarantee that you'll receive software or hardware updates.

Reactions: APotatoGod
AFAIK, Tesla continues to push out s/w updates to every car that supports OTA updates, such as 2012 model S's (excludes original Roadster?) These updates only include features supported by the installed hardware.

If this sounds precarious, consider that it's generally easier and lower-cost for a manufacturer to update it's legacy base because supporting non-upgraded vehicles, should you come in for paid service, is harder. Also, if they have improvements to autopilot, they may be at greater legal risk of they didn't update.

I'd be surprised if they started excluding you (and my 2018 M3 AWD), again, for upgrades to features your car supports. It's a Tesla differentiator.