Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you charge at Superchargers

How long do you charge at an SC?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And also for the different types of cars and for regions and seasons... Obviously not practical nor really necessary for what I am trying to do which is gain a little perspective.

With respect to car type I posted here because there are more 3's out there than anything else and I expected to get more data.

Your average time at an SC is 22.5 min.

I refuse to vote on the basis I already stated ;) ... and that’s not the average if I use V2 SCs more than urban :p

Too late. I've already got your data! But sampling around here I see 10 stations with only one being urban but it is is Montreal which has 5 of the stations. Thus the probability of using the urban charger is

p(u) = p(u | M)p(M) = p(u | M)[p(M | m)p(m) + p(M | e)p(e)]

in which p(u | M) is the probability of using the urban charger given that you are in Montreal, p(M) is the probability that you are in Montreal, p(M | m) is the probability that you are in Montreal given that you live in Montreal and p(m) is is the probability that you live in Montreal. p(M | e) is the probability tat you are in Montreal given that you live in Estrie and p(e) is the probability that you live in Estrie. So taking Montreal/Estrie as representative of Canada I calculate, using some reasonable numbers for the relative populations of the city and country, p(u) = 0.132 and thus weight your urban time by that. This gives me a corrected average time of (0.132*30 + 0.868*15) = 16.98 minutes. I'll use that. Note that it is not atypical of what the rest of the survey shows.

The silliness above is there to be illustrative of what one can get into if trying to analyze deeper than what the available data allows or than the investigation requires.

At the moment the average seems to be around 26 minutes. The data presumably includes long range and standard, urban and regular super chargers, summer and winter, dry and wet, bold and timid drivers and so must be taken with a grain of salt. Because we have some evidence that the distribution of charge times is close to being Rayleigh we can guess (from the average) that the standard deviation is about 21 minutes.

I'm going to use a cool statistics term: bimodal distribution. For longer trips involving at least 2 or more Supercharger stops, it makes things pretty convenient if you intentionally alternate long/short stops. You catch a meal about every four hours apart, and the car gets to "overfill" with a 30-40 minute time. And then on the in between ones, you have some extra energy left over, so it's more like 10-15 minutes. I would say most of my stops are in one of those two categories.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Interesting observation. As noted in my previous post it would be impractical for me granularize the study to the extent that it distinguishes different types of chargers or cars. As noted I came to the 3 forum because it seems there are more 3's than anything else. 3's don't get lifetime charging so that says you are seeing a lot of older X's and S's. True?

True. My experience only, I see more Model Ss and Model Xs at urban superchargers and more Model 3s at enroute superchargers.

Last weekend on the way out to the coast I saw only Model 3s at Quartzite and mostly Model 3s at Cabazon. And only Model 3s at Quartzite on the return on Sunday. FWIW.