TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How long do you estimate until autopilot handles...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nuclear Fusion, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Nuclear Fusion

1. Traffic signs/lights?
    2. Hairpin bends?

2. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I think #1 (traffic lights) won't ever happen as part of AP. It will be part of FSD. Too many tricky intersections out there where even a human is like, uh, which light is for which road? That's going to be dependent on high definition maps coupled with a pretty developed NN.

3. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

They probably won't ever have EAP do #1. They will likey leave that for FSD. For #2 they should be able to do that in 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely...

• Funny x 1
  4. Jonny Custom

Jonny Custom Member

I don't think traffic lights/stop signs will ever be reliable. I only say that because in my area sometimes the signs are not really that visible. The Lights can be if it was part of a bigger grid such as IoT. Unfortunately, the infrastructure is not there and presents a big security risk.

5. BobbyKings

BobbyKings Blue M3P-FSD

Is this close enough to a hairpin bend?

• Like x 2
  6. Nuclear Fusion

The problem is, they can’t ‘trickle out’ FSD features like AP.
    It would be disappointing if the car has the capability to stop at traffic lights, but they withhold the feature for, say, 5 years awaiting for complete FSD capability

7. Nuclear Fusion

Nah, that’s a fair way off.
    Think winding mountain road hairpin bend (10 ~ 15 mph)