Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you plan on keeping the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the tech upgrades that have been coming down the pipe with the MS, how long do you plan on keeping it? Are you going to upgrade when you can? Is this the last car you plan on purchasing?Thanks

I've had it for 2.5 years now and plan to drive it another 8. It will then be given to my daughter as her first car. That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it goes!

Until there's a car that better meets my needs. So far, the Model S with its range, cargo capacity and Supercharger availability is in a class of its own - I need all of those things (for one of our cars, at least).

Right now I'm assuming my wife will keep driving the Model S until a CUV variant of the Model 3 is available. We would like a smaller vehicle, but that's about our only complaint about the S, which just passed its third birthday. It looks like we will likely keep it another 3 or 4 years.

I might replace my Roadster sooner, if I can find a small, reliable, >= 150 mile EV. That could be a Model 3, 2017 Leaf, improved BMW i3, or something like that. (My favorite would be a 200-mile Mini Cooper convertible, if one were to magically appear). I suppose it's also possible tonight's X reveal will be so compelling that I will trade in the Roadster for an X, though I really don't want TWO vehicles that big.

Not one mile past the 50,000 mile warranty at this point. Which is unfortunate and frustrating and disappointing since my pre-purchase calculations reflected an 8-year ownership term - at least, given the excellent mileage finding for the battery, motor and inverter (the big stuff).

Unfortunately, in just 8 months, too many things have been replaced/serviced that will simply not be feasible over the second 50,000 miles for $4,000 plus $200 PER ISSUE instead of the industry standard PER VISIT cost structure. Had I known of this somewhat hidden (at the time) gotcha, combined with the effective doubling of annual service cost (from $475/service if purchased up front to almost $900 presuming an alignment), combined with the disconnect between senior management and Service for simple items such as B pillars (Blankenship - "we'll continue to replace these as needed", versus the new Service mantra of "1 piece, 1 time"), I probably would have leased for 3 years or not bought at all.

I don't mind being pleasantly surprised in the end if it happens, but when it's my $80,000+ in depreciation alone over a few years, I tend to lose my sense of humor at some point. People tend to forget that they're paying for this privilege. If we don't continue to expect excellence and instead make syncophantic excuses (see fanboi/gurlism), then will we get what we deserve.

I'll keep it for 10 years probably, or just leave it in the fleet and get something new for myself at some point. I usually get a new car every few years, but with this one I don't want anything else, even after 2.5 years. I'm still waiting for them to gift me the rest of my 40's 60kWh battery, which would be a nice refresh. If not I can do it myself out of warranty (which I'm actually looking forward to).

I intend to keep my Sig until the new Roadster is released and the kids are all college bound (~2020-21) barring high maintenance cost.

My 100k service is coming up in a few weeks - last service under extended warranty and service contracts.

Since the EVs will be hit with the 180% danish car tax from 1/1 2016 I will most likely hang on to my 85 with autopilot forever and just do required maintenance and battery upgrades. A new one will cost north of 300K USD....... Normally I change cars every 3-4 years.

So I guess the "new car" next time might be a complete overhaul of the Model S in 2023.......................

I am considering going to a P90D before the tax hits but I really think the regular 85 is plenty fast!