TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How long do you plan on keeping your Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 2krazykats, Jan 1, 2016.

?

How long are you keepiing your Tesla?

1. 0-3 years

15.0%
  2. 4-6 years

22.8%
  3. 7-9 years

24.0%
  4. 10+ years

38.2%
  1. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

Yet another poll. :smile:

I recently read several comments from people who were discussing how long Tesla owners are keeping their cars and wondered how long do people plan on keeping their cars? Or if you're in the enviable position of owning 1+, just answer an average. If you've already sold one, please answer based on the one you sold (again average if you sold more than 1).

2. mwulff

mwulff Member

If possible I would keep it for 15+ years. With battery upgrades along the way. But I might be tempted to switch to a Model 3 simply due to size of the S.

I Would love to buy a car that I could keep for life. Simply buy 1 car and then have the car problem be solved for good.

3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

This is tough to answer, I've been having a serious urge to trade up to a p85d, however having paid off the car and not having monthly payments sure feels nice.
    But on the other hand, I'd love the p85d

Im on the edge, one visit to a service center and a test drive of the p85d would probably send me over the edge and make me upgrade

4. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Had my first one for 18 months and upgraded to the P85D. TBH, wish I hadn't done that. Lots of money lost and after the initial rush... I don't know. Definitely drive the 85D, too.

5. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

#5 2krazykats, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    That would be ideal for me too... providing the body and interior components are still in good shape, it would be much desired if we could upgrade the battery once better technology comes out. Certainly retrofitting the screen might be more difficult but if that could be done, would be something people would want to upgrade too. At least one component of the car that is "replaceable" is the SW which is a nice benefit. It seems like they could still make money on this by charging for upgrades to certain components and it would keep the customers loyal.

6. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

3 years for me. Returning it to the leasing company and get a new one. I am sure there will be something I want in the next 3 years.

7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

A 90D is also in the mix, I would like the extra range but at the same time I'd like the extra power of the p85d
    It's definitely something I need to think about, I don't want to rush into it, and will definitely try to test drive a 90D before making the final decision

- - - Updated - - -

A 90D is also in the mix, I would like the extra range but at the same time I'd like the extra power of the p85d
    It's definitely something I need to think about, I don't want to rush into it, and will definitely try to test drive a 90D before making the final decision

8. Jool

Jool Member

I will probably upgrade to a performance model whenever the autopilot 2.0 hardware and software rolls out. The P85D loaners spoiled me with their added power!

9. tanner

tanner Active Member

Wish mine had AP -.-

10. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

We've had our Model S for three years so far and don't have immediate plans to replace it. I'm sure at some point there will be a significant refresh that prompts us to finally trade in. Perhaps another generation of auto pilot? Or finally updating the aging Tegra chipset running the touchscreen? We're a hair away from 50k miles and plan to supplement our Tesla family with a Model 3 at some point but I expect we'll want a newer Model S as well. A replacement in the 4-5 year range seems inevitable.

11. KJD

KJD Member

I voted 10 years but that could change. I do lust after the D option, but really 2wd is fine 90% of the time and the new ones are so expensive.

Now if they start building a 120D before that 10 years is up, that could push me to buy a new one sooner rather than later.

12. ChadFeldheimer

3 year lease. After turning in the S, I will get whatever car has the best autopilot implementation at that point - where "best implementation" is skewed towards handling my daily commute.

13. russman

russman Member

Wish we had AP, but we tend to drive cars for as long as possible. The Accord we sold after 15 years and 220k miles on it. We have 2 other ICE cars now, one is 12+ years with 200k and another is 10 years with 120k miles on it. The miles have dropped since we have the Tesla as most miles are moved to that car now. So hoping this car lasts as long as these with little after warranty issues....

14. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Owned my first car for 4 1/2 years.
    Owned my second car for 9 years.
    Owned my third car for 18 years, then got the Model S.

Extrapolating from this data, I will be driving the Model S for 36 years.

15. cmu5p

cmu5p Member

I seem to get the itch for new vehicle with every decade birthday, so I'm hoping 10+ years. That said, my firstborn has earmarked the Tesla for her hand me down car in 5 years, so the switch may occur sooner. (She is only 10 but has her eyes on the prize.)

16. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Roughly 30 minutes before the warranty expires.

17. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Hmm, the only way I'd sell is to upgrade. But feel that the upgrade needs to be substantial by either having a big increase in safety, cargo or functionality in autopilot. All of these remain to be seen for me in the X.

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Me too. Waiting for next gen autopilot and a bigger maybe 110kWh battery. P110D

19. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

i'm on my second Model S and i'm already thinking about getting out of Tesla and into the new Porsche 911.

Tesla has kinda jumped the shark, you know?

if only that sweet, sweet, smooth electric motor was easy to give up. it is not.

20. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

Agreed. They wont sell you a drive unit in general. Wonder what happens when you are past warranty.