Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you plan on keeping your Tesla?

How long are you keepiing your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet another poll. :smile:

I recently read several comments from people who were discussing how long Tesla owners are keeping their cars and wondered how long do people plan on keeping their cars? Or if you're in the enviable position of owning 1+, just answer an average. If you've already sold one, please answer based on the one you sold (again average if you sold more than 1).

If possible I would keep it for 15+ years. With battery upgrades along the way. But I might be tempted to switch to a Model 3 simply due to size of the S.

I Would love to buy a car that I could keep for life. Simply buy 1 car and then have the car problem be solved for good.

This is tough to answer, I've been having a serious urge to trade up to a p85d, however having paid off the car and not having monthly payments sure feels nice.
But on the other hand, I'd love the p85d

Im on the edge, one visit to a service center and a test drive of the p85d would probably send me over the edge and make me upgrade

This is tough to answer, I've been having a serious urge to trade up to a p85d, however having paid off the car and not having monthly payments sure feels nice.
But on the other hand, I'd love the p85d

Im on the edge, one visit to a service center and a test drive of the p85d would probably send me over the edge and make me upgrade
Had my first one for 18 months and upgraded to the P85D. TBH, wish I hadn't done that. Lots of money lost and after the initial rush... I don't know. Definitely drive the 85D, too.

I Would love to buy a car that I could keep for life. Simply buy 1 car and then have the car problem be solved for good.
That would be ideal for me too... providing the body and interior components are still in good shape, it would be much desired if we could upgrade the battery once better technology comes out. Certainly retrofitting the screen might be more difficult but if that could be done, would be something people would want to upgrade too. At least one component of the car that is "replaceable" is the SW which is a nice benefit. It seems like they could still make money on this by charging for upgrades to certain components and it would keep the customers loyal.

Last edited:
Had my first one for 18 months and upgraded to the P85D. TBH, wish I hadn't done that. Lots of money lost and after the initial rush... I don't know. Definitely drive the 85D, too.
A 90D is also in the mix, I would like the extra range but at the same time I'd like the extra power of the p85d
It's definitely something I need to think about, I don't want to rush into it, and will definitely try to test drive a 90D before making the final decision

- - - Updated - - -

A 90D is also in the mix, I would like the extra range but at the same time I'd like the extra power of the p85d
It's definitely something I need to think about, I don't want to rush into it, and will definitely try to test drive a 90D before making the final decision

We've had our Model S for three years so far and don't have immediate plans to replace it. I'm sure at some point there will be a significant refresh that prompts us to finally trade in. Perhaps another generation of auto pilot? Or finally updating the aging Tegra chipset running the touchscreen? We're a hair away from 50k miles and plan to supplement our Tesla family with a Model 3 at some point but I expect we'll want a newer Model S as well. A replacement in the 4-5 year range seems inevitable.

I voted 10 years but that could change. I do lust after the D option, but really 2wd is fine 90% of the time and the new ones are so expensive.

Now if they start building a 120D before that 10 years is up, that could push me to buy a new one sooner rather than later.

Wish we had AP, but we tend to drive cars for as long as possible. The Accord we sold after 15 years and 220k miles on it. We have 2 other ICE cars now, one is 12+ years with 200k and another is 10 years with 120k miles on it. The miles have dropped since we have the Tesla as most miles are moved to that car now. So hoping this car lasts as long as these with little after warranty issues....

Hmm, the only way I'd sell is to upgrade. But feel that the upgrade needs to be substantial by either having a big increase in safety, cargo or functionality in autopilot. All of these remain to be seen for me in the X.