Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you plan on keeping your Tesla?

How long are you keepiing your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tend to keep cars for a while (trading in a decade old Jeep for our MX), but beyond that, I am very happy with my classic P85. None of the improvements that have come out (AWD, AP, etc) are compelling, the interior is holding up well, and the styling seems pretty timeless to me. The two things I am interested in (new battery pack, maybe next-gen seats) can be handled as upgrades. Now Elon my dream up something that completely blows this up this thinking, but I think I will likely what until Model S 2.0 or Roadster 2.0 before looking at retiring my current ride.

I voted 10+ but that's assuming of course, that all goes well with the car.

BTW, I have a habit of keeping vehicles a long time. I still have the 1972 Honda CB750 I bought new and the Mercedes I picked up at the factory in 1972.

I am planning to keep my 2,3 year old P85+ for at least 10 more years. I do not want 4WD (but need the frunk space), I don't want AP (too many issues with the TACC (which can't be disabled sadly)) and I don't want the NG seats (too narrow and restricting for me). So there is simply no reason for me at all to upgrade. The non-NG seats aren't even available in leather anymore, so I'd have to get the cloth seats if I ordered a new car now. But I don't like black interiors either...

I'm guessing around 3 years but it depends on my mileage and Tesla's future product line-up.

- Will the Model 3 be a compelling enough car for current S owners?
- Does the S get a significant overhaul (and price decrease with the new Gigafactory)?
- When does a new Roadster get announced?

Ideally, the Model 3 will be every bit as good as the S so I can trade in my current S for a 3 and then get a Roadster shortly after.

Ideally, the Model 3 will be every bit as good as the S so I can trade in my current S for a 3 and then get a Roadster shortly after.
I know what you say is a lot of wishful thinking and speculation on people's parts but from a business perspective, why would Tesla want to make the 3 as good as the S and sell it for less? Wouldn't that be cannibalism of its own products? Not only that but they'd have a bunch of pissed off S owners who might be really turned off by how the company screwed them over by making a product that speculatively would cost 20-30% of what the S cost. People will point to the computer industry as an example of cost going down as technology improved but these are still cars regardless of what people think.

Tesla can offer options for the Model 3 that will make it "as good as" the S but priced so that a heavily optioned 3 is (rough estimate) about $15K less than an S with the same features. There will still be plenty of people who will pay the extra for the S because they want a larger car that can seat 5 comfortable and have much more cargo space.
In that way, a really nicely optioned 3 will not steal any sales from the S.
Car companies like BMW price different models like that all the time.

I kept my first S for 2.5 years. However, I really wanted all wheel drive (which has already been useful), and I wanted autopilot. So I sold my S85 and ordered an 85D, which I've now had for a couple of months. This one is a keeper-- I can't imagine anything else I really want in a car.

I have no idea. This is my first car and before it, I drove 10+ year old cars shared with family. My two main reasons for buying Model S were so I would no longer need to fit my schedule with someone else's for transportation and because I really wanted to replace the very many problems of fossil fuels and ICE cars with a BEV and its safety, efficiency, sustainability, and practicality. Now that those are satisfied and I have all the other benefits that come standard with BEVs and Tesla, just about everything else I could want in an upgrade is peanuts.

I am considering the possibility of trading for a Model 3 when I feel ready for an upgrade, perhaps 2020 at the earliest. The primary reason for that is because my car doesn't have autopilot, and safety is pretty important to me. Also, if Model 3 was available when I bought my Model S, I would have bought the 3 instead, because I didn't want to have to spend as much as I did to own a BEV with comfortably sufficient range for my commute. I tend to be very frugal and content with what I have, so I may stretch as much life out of my S as I can. It all depends on how important an upgrade is to satisfy my needs and desires and what the value of the trade would be, which I won't really know until the time comes.

I'm planning on getting 500,000 miles on my car. I'm 1/5th of the way there.

On a side note though, am I the only one who doesn't want a D? Yes the all wheel drive is nice, but I like the frunk space in my rear wheel drive 85S
Maybe for those of us who have never had anything but the D don't know what we're missing so we're happy with what we have and don't miss what we never had. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't want to own a Tesla right now without warranty, given the amount of repairs I've had to do so that's my limit.
Sadly, a few others have had this unfortunate luck. Don't blame you one bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla can offer options for the Model 3 that will make it "as good as" the S but priced so that a heavily optioned 3 is (rough estimate) about $15K less than an S with the same features. There will still be plenty of people who will pay the extra for the S because they want a larger car that can seat 5 comfortable and have much more cargo space.
In that way, a really nicely optioned 3 will not steal any sales from the S.
Car companies like BMW price different models like that all the time.
I would argue the demographics for a series 3 buyer is much different than the series 5 and BMW are smart enough to design it so that cannabalism is minimized and they get the series 3 owners to trade up to a 5. Here, Tesla have done it backwards, if you will, and I don't know what they'll do to minimize cannabalism. True, many people traded in their Ses for Xes by put that was to spend more money, not less.

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting 500,000 miles on my car. I'm 1/5th of the way there.

On a side note though, am I the only one who doesn't want a D? Yes the all wheel drive is nice, but I like the frunk space in my rear wheel drive 85S

I am With you Liz G
Love my Frunk
just came back from 3 days bed and breakfast hopping
and used all my space frunk and Back !
will keep car for a while
more power = more cops
And living in Florida allwheel drive does not seem like a must.
So if I don't test drive a D with autopilot I will keep my car for 5 plus years
Unless something comes out, that I have to have

On a side note though, am I the only one who doesn't want a D? Yes the all wheel drive is nice, but I like the frunk space in my rear wheel drive 85S.
I had a chance to drive a loaner 'D' for several days. While I didn't miss the extra frunk space too much in that time, there was a different deal-breaker for me. The front motor in the 'D' makes a noticeably loud whine, like electrical interference or hum that varies in pitch as you accelerate or slow down. This motor noise is considered "normal" by Tesla, although from what I've read here, it seems that some AWD cars may be quieter than others, and perhaps my loaner wasn't correctly insulated. Still, I'm very happy with the silent ride of my RWD Model S.