Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you plan to keep your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. Just look at Model X. One would think they've learn all the mistake from Model S. And Model X is even more expensive than the model S.

The fact is, they have to use new parts, train new robots, use new additional programming, etc. Lot of new component to cause new issues.
That's in large part because Tesla wanted to have some new goodies (fancy seats, falcon wing doors, a glass roof, probably some other things I'm missing) that weren't tested in a larger vehicle with less time for development than in the S. They've suggested that they're going the opposite direction with the 3 and are trying to simplify things.

I just replaced the battery pack on our Gen 1 Prius (after 197,000 miles and 14 years). Wasn't planning on it but that should give some clue how long I own cars.
As for the Model 3, any engineer can make something more complicated by adding features that seem cool in isolation but cause headaches when combined with other features. That's the very well-traveled road by which features become known issues.
It takes genius to simplify. Let's hope there are enough of those at Tesla.
Robin

Reactions: Red Sage
I'll be looking to move onto something else at the 5 year or 100,000 mile marker. That's the point in time where I start noticing that shocks need to be replaced, rubber bushings are degrading, wheel bearings might be making a bit of noise and some of the gaps around doors and windows have started to whistle. On the inside the driver's seat isn't quite as firm as it once was, there are some rattles and creaks and my heal has started to wear through the carpet on the center drive tunnel. What I'm getting at is that even though the battery might be fine and the electric motor should run for decades, other things wear and I get bored.

I'll be looking to move onto something else at the 5 year or 100,000 mile marker. That's the point in time where I start noticing that shocks need to be replaced, rubber bushings are degrading, wheel bearings might be making a bit of noise and some of the gaps around doors and windows have started to whistle. On the inside the driver's seat isn't quite as firm as it once was, there are some rattles and creaks and my heal has started to wear through the carpet on the center drive tunnel. What I'm getting at is that even though the battery might be fine and the electric motor should run for decades, other things wear and I get bored.

Oh boy, sometimes I fear I'm in for a real shock when I move away from Toyota. My current Toyota hybrid is almost approaching 100k and is running just as well as when I got it new in 2009. In fact it is giving me better mpgs than early days. Edges of seats, carpets and door handles show some wear and that's about it. I really hope my Model 3 won't be too far behind.

BTW I may consider evannex seat covers for my model 3.

I hope so as well, but experience has taught me that no first gen version of any car has ever been even close to "perfect", and certainly not in the long run. And it's not just potential reliability issues. Build quality, available features, everything evolves, and with a BEV, ever so quickly.

I take the 2013 Model S I drove back then and compare it to the 2016 one I drove a couple of months ago. A world of difference, the current one was better in every aspect, every one. And even since then it has evolved dramatically. Facelift exterieur, AP 2 hardware, to name but two aspects. Now imagine my prospective 2018 Model 3 versus a 2021/22 one. Going by the experience with Tesla over the last few years would expect the latter to be so dramatically better that the former pales in comparison in almost every aspect also.
I disagree. The reason Model S is so different in three years is because Tesla's EV tech was brand new and still developing. Hell, we didn't even have AWD on the first models! But the rapid development of new core features is over. There really aren't any more radical changes to expect and that's why Tesla is now focusing on the 3: to take what they learned and developed and make it cheaper.

Especially in a car like the Model 3, the R&D is mostly over. There will be no major changes in the next 5 years for the 3. Hell, we even already have full self-driving hardware. Battery tech is pretty much maxed out according to Elon. Looking at the differences between 2013 and 2016 Model S, what comparable hardware changes can you possibly envision for 2018 vs 2021 Model 3?

One of my big concerns with an early Model 3 would be that AP hardware would undoubtedly improve a few years later. This is no longer the case which greatly improves my confidence in buying a new 3.

This all said, I agree with your statement that no first gen car has been anywhere close to perfect (except maybe the Prius, damn what a well-designed car) and the Model 3 will be no different. There will be problems, but one can hope that Tesla's decade of EV experience and development has come close to plateauing and we will see solid cars from here on out. Major changes have been made to the drive unit in the past year or so and reliability concerns have greatly dropped off since then. All that's left is fit and finish, really. Software gremlins too, but those will always be problems with Tesla until they are comfortable enough with the drive hardware/software to focus on comfort.

I'm nervous as hell about purchasing a first gen 3. I want the car soon because my current shitbox is on its way out. I also don't want to lease because that'll end up being far more expensive than buying and I'm not convinced the 2021 Model 3 will be so outrageously better (see above) that I'll regret buying early. Also, leases suck for a ton of reasons. This will be an insanely fun car to drive and I will likely take the long way home more often than not. I never want to be in a position where I have to budget my miles or be afraid to drive the damn thing.

Solution: get the ESA and have fun for 8 years. I may be taking a few more trips to the service center in the car's later (and earlier) years than the 2021 owners, but I am reasonably confident that the 2018 Model 3 will be competitive for years to come.

One of my big concerns with an early Model 3 would be that AP hardware would undoubtedly improve a few years later. This is no longer the case which greatly improves my confidence in buying a new 3.

The one thing you might see in the Model 3 is the Volta based Xavier chip from Nvidia to replace Drive PX2. It's not necessarily going to be faster, but it'll use a lot less power. The timing is iffy for the first Model 3s to roll off the assembly line. Nvidia is claiming only samples by Q4 2017 but we've seen them move up timelines before.

Likely to buy and keep the 2018 Model 3 for 4 years, and sell it before comprehensive warranty is up in 2022.
In 2022 potentially buy a 2019 three year old CPO Tesla Model X 100D with towing capability so we can travel with a trailer.

Our current Tesla Model S was 2.5 years old and 60,000 km when we bought it CPO.
We will have added 2 more years and 50,000 km more before we get our Model 3.
We have no problems buying CPO given our very positive experience so far.

We don't care about a few scrapes or bumps, or km driven by previous owners, we care about the driving and safety, so CPO is more suited to the kind of consumers we are.

Reactions: Red Sage
Likely to buy and keep the 2018 Model 3 for 4 years, and sell it before comprehensive warranty is up in 2022.
In 2022 potentially buy a 2019 three year old CPO Tesla Model X 100D with towing capability so we can travel with a trailer.

Our current Tesla Model S was 2.5 years old and 60,000 km when we bought it CPO.
We will have added 2 more years and 50,000 km more before we get our Model 3.
We have no problems buying CPO given our very positive experience so far.

We don't care about a few scrapes or bumps, or km driven by previous owners, we care about the driving and safety, so CPO is more suited to the kind of consumers we are.

I hope I don't have it more than a week to 10 days. I'm going to flip mine as soon as possible.