Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you plan to keep your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to keep it for as long as I can. Last car I kept for over 12 years. I chose a Model 3 over the other EVs for the tech and the performance. With a 0-60 in a 'brisk' 10 seconds and a face only a mother could love, a Prius wasn't even on the radar aside from it being a hybrid. A Leaf? No. There just wasn't anything to compare. If you buy a techy, high performance car, expect
to have glitches here and there. That comes with the territory.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I own a 2018 (Sept delivered) Model-3, and plan to keep it at-least for 10 years, by then hopefully can pass it onto my kids. Also, as the battery is covered for 8 years, if Tesla comes up with a 400+ miles battery by then, I might plan to swap it (hopefully it's as easy as swapping batteries in old smartphones).

Yes, battery driven car technology will be more advanced compared to now, so maybe I might buy a new improved one by then (I still have my first cellphone that was purchased over 20 years back) & still keep this one.

<= forever.

Okay, let me put it this way. My old car was at almost 20 when I sold it upon getting the Tesla. We sold my wife's car also about a year later when it was 11. I'd love to get 20 out of this car.

Two years in, I still think of it as super high-tech. It's fun to imagine 15 years in the future how it might seem dated. Hard to do! New software features keep it feeling fresh.

With such a long anticipated ownership horizon, I quickly lose interest in conversations about how this or that will affect resale value. Resale just isn't a biggie for me.

Note that the long planned ownership is also key in our decision to buy FSD. I think this will arrive slowly over time. (I'd love to be wrong and see it "this year" as Elon has said.) I'd never have advocated spending the FSD money if I thought we'd sell the car before the feature was fully realized.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White