Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does DashCam keep recording after parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got V10 last night(underwhelmed). But that’s another story, unless maybe it’s something new with DashCam.

I hit something n the road on the way to work. Small damage to the front Fascia. It happened so fast I’m not sure what it was. Doesn’t matter all that much now I guess but after I got in to work and started thinking about it, I remembered the dash cam USB. Unfortunately I wasn’t smart enough to hit the icon on screen when it happened(I know I know) and when I looked at the footage all I have is an hour worth of parking lot footage. It obviously just wrote over it.
Has it always kept recording after the drive? I don’t remember that happening. Wonder if this is different in V10

just curious if anyone has run across this previously, or has more knowledge of the inner works of that system.

In my experience, if dashcam is on, it just keeps on recording until you turn it off or run out of battery. It doesn't care if you are moving or not. As a matter of fact, I find that the dashcam is turned on after every update. Kind of annoying. I have sometimes had days of recording of the inside of my garage because I forgot to turn it off after an update.

Reactions: quickstrike12
Has it always kept recording after the drive? I don’t remember that happening. Wonder if this is different in V10

This is from the Version 9 Model S manual.

Note: Dashcam only works when Model S is powered on (see Starting and Powering Off on page 51). Dashcam does not record video when your vehicle is powered off

Powering Off

When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model S with the key, it powers off automatically, turning off the instrument panel and touchscreen.Model S also powers off automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.

I just tried it on version 10. After I left the car, the recording stopped just after the side mirrors retracted.

Last edited:
This is from the Version 9 Model S manual.

Note: Dashcam only works when Model S is powered on (see Starting and Powering Off on page 51). Dashcam does not record video when your vehicle is powered off

Powering Off

When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model S with the key, it powers off automatically, turning off the instrument panel and touchscreen.Model S also powers off automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.

I just tried it on version 10. After I left the car, the recording stopped just after the side mirrors retracted.
Ok I’ll try again a couple tests. Not sure why I have one hour of video of my work parking lot after getting to work.

Ok I’ll try again a couple tests. Not sure why I have one hour of video of my work parking lot after getting to work.
Maybe your car isn't shutting off. I had a bad seat sensor in my 2013 P85+ that sensed someone was in the seat even when there wasn't.

Are you using TeslaFi? That might be waking your car periodically. Are all the filenames one minute apart?

Last edited:
In my experience, if dashcam is on, it just keeps on recording until you turn it off or run out of battery. It doesn't care if you are moving or not. As a matter of fact, I find that the dashcam is turned on after every update. Kind of annoying. I have sometimes had days of recording of the inside of my garage because I forgot to turn it off after an update.

There's a setting to exclude TeslaCam when at home.

Reactions: PrGrPa
That's for sentry mode which only records when a threat is detected. Dashcam records as long as it is enabled, and the car is powered on.
Yes I was about to say same thing. I think some are confusing Teslacam with sentry mode. My question was in regards to the actual DashCam function (while driving)
I just went out and checked again. Same thing. It has 1 hour of footage saved in “recent clips” of the last hour sitting in my work parking lot.
what the heck?

surely my car is not the only car doing this? Car is asleep I’m sure or 8 would be losing lots of phantom drain miles I think. It only has COP on and sentry mode on while parked but that doesn’t keep car awake. It should not be recording while in Park.

Ok. I think I understand a little better now. Thank you to the Stars App developer (great app) for clarifying. I did not realize car WONT ever actually sleep while Sentry mode is on. I assumed it was only recording internally for purposes of sentry and wrote to the USB only when an event occurred triggering it to write the previous 10 minutes.
It does that.
But it apparently is also ALWAYS writing to the USB continuously for DashCam while it’s awake. A scrolling one hour log being overwritten. Not sure if it was writing to the USB for DashCam like this in V9. I have gone back to the car hours later and watched footage of my drive in to work and was able to see it(at least I think so) when Sentry view was on at work.

Maybe this is the new norm? Or it’s always been this way and I’m mistaken. But kinda sucks you can’t reference any driving footage unless you tapped the screen icon and saved a clip of a specific event. You can go back after the drive and look.

Ok. I think I understand a little better now. Thank you to the Stars App developer (great app) for clarifying. I did not realize car WONT ever actually sleep while Sentry mode is on. I assumed it was only recording internally for purposes of sentry and wrote to the USB only when an event occurred triggering it to write the previous 10 minutes.
It does that.
But it apparently is also ALWAYS writing to the USB continuously for DashCam while it’s awake. A scrolling one hour log being overwritten. Not sure if it was writing to the USB for DashCam like this in V9. I have gone back to the car hours later and watched footage of my drive in to work and was able to see it(at least I think so) when Sentry view was on at work.

Maybe this is the new norm? Or it’s always been this way and I’m mistaken. But kinda sucks you can’t reference any driving footage unless you tapped the screen icon and saved a clip of a specific event. You can go back after the drive and look.

I have sentry mode excluded at home, so I tried turning it on, and it does keep the dash cam recording. It must be doing this so that it has a source for the prior ten minutes when a threat is detected.

I have sentry mode excluded at home, so I tried turning it on, and it does keep the dash cam recording. It must be doing this so that it has a source for the prior ten minutes when a threat is detected.
Maybe so. I can see it recording and buffering internally just like it always had. But NOT actually writing to the USB for hours and hours as it sits in a parking lot. I have the Stats App. And if I’m looking at the widget correctly it’s not sleeping (I see no cat symbol) it only says disconnected. So not sure why car is still awake or if it’s awake because it’s always writing to the USB while parked. Sentry has been turned off for several hours

Maybe so. I can see it recording and buffering internally just like it always had. But NOT actually writing to the USB for hours and hours as it sits in a parking lot. I have the Stats App. And if I’m looking at the widget correctly it’s not sleeping (I see no cat symbol) it only says disconnected. So not sure why car is still awake or if it’s awake because it’s always writing to the USB while parked. Sentry has been turned off for several hours

When I enabled sentry mode the car continued writing to the \TeslaCam\RecentClips directory even after the car shutdown(the mirrors folded). Well, I can't say that it was writing constantly. It might have written everything when I turned off dashcam before removing the ssd. The files might have been buffered internally.
At any rate, it definitely ended up writing more files than when I had sentry mode turned off.

Last edited:
  • Informative
When I have sentry mode off, the last one-minute clip that it saves shows the mirrors folding in the left and right repeaters. It doesn't start recording again until I get back in the car.

Interesting. When I grab the USB drive from my car (after being parked for a few hours) I get to see a full hour of my car parked at my house. I don't get to see anything about the car driving to the house. The last video clip shows me walking up to and opening the door of the car. :( Again, sentry mode is off.

• Informative