Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does it take for a newbie to change air filter to fix smelly AC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One consideration -- mobile service from Tesla replaced mine in about 30 minutes. Even a pro took that long to do. It cost about $25 labor plus cost of the filter. Probably about $60 in total but I didn't have to spend hours learning how to do it, find the tools or shop for the filter, and get it all done. If it was easy to swap out like in a Toyota, I'd do it myself but in this case, I'm really paying for the convenience and to me it was well worth it.

What is the latest advice from Tesla regarding charging the battery on a Model 3? I was advised the charge to 90% and let it run down to 25% once every 10 days. But I have never recovered my "missing range" on a 2020 Model 3. Has anyone had any luck taking the car to Tesla to have the battery "rebalanced" .

With all the fires we had here in Nor-Cal my filters really got gunked up from awful air and my AC really started to smell. I am not experienced working on cars but I bought the Hepa filters and spray, watched the video they linked, and replaced the filters in about a half hour. Made a world of difference in the cabin air!
Thank you for posting the link to the magnetic cover!!! I just ordered it and am actually looking forward to the next filter change when I can put that in! Haha

Reactions: house9
Definitely get a flex bit driver. I didn't have one and there was no way I could get to that screw. Needed to make a trip to Lowe's in the middle to go get one. I have no idea what they were thinking when they put that screw at the top of the panel, not the bottom. Some evil plan to get people to say screw it and take it to service maybe.
lots of good tips here.

Will this driver work for model 3 ?

It's really easy to change it yourself, even first try.

I changed my filters 5 months ago and used that Lubegard spray but that musty smell has just come back so I may be ordering some more to spray in the evaporator again now...

Finally changed the filter for the first time. Took me about 1 hour. I used the flex bit driver to unscrew the t screw. Even with flex driver, it was still hard. I dunno what engineers are thinking. Maybe Elon purposely ask the engineer to place the t screw in difficult area to encourage ppl to pay tesla service to change the filter?

Also, purchased the magnetic filter cover to put back on so I don't have to go thur pain again when I need to change filter again.

All the youtube videos showed speaker wires or 12 V wires need to be disconnected to gain more access. For someone reason I could not yank the wires especially the speak wire for my car. I was too sacred to break the wire so just left all the wires alone. Took some maneuvers to insert the new filter but got them in fine.

Reactions: house9
Definitely get a flex bit driver. I didn't have one and there was no way I could get to that screw. Needed to make a trip to Lowe's in the middle to go get one. I have no idea what they were thinking when they put that screw at the top of the panel, not the bottom. Some evil plan to get people to say screw it and take it to service maybe.

I just used a normal screwdriver and it was completely fine. you have to take the top panel off too.

not sure I know what the musty smell issue is - guess I'll have to get familiar with it on my new M3. My first response would be to drop the Ozone generator in the car for an hour - on recirc with the fan on high. O3 tends to work magical around the house for me.

Last edited:
If you have a new M3, you’ll likely never experience it due to a software update meant to eliminate it.
Prior to that, in some cars condensation in the a/c system would cause musty or stinky smells that required changing the filter and cleaning the evaporator core to get rid of.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If you have a new M3, you’ll likely never experience it due to a software update meant to eliminate it.
Prior to that, in some cars condensation in the a/c system would cause musty or stinky smells that required changing the filter and cleaning the evaporator core to get rid of.
for older gen cars 2019 or before, does that mean the stinky smell will go away after changing to a new filter?

for older gen cars 2019 or before, does that mean the stinky smell will go away after changing to a new filter?
Unfortunately not in my case. 2018 Model 3 here. Had filters replaced and evaporator cleaned twice by Tesla since I bought the car. Still smells like vomit/vinegar whenever there's moisture in the air.

Recirculation actually stops the stink so it's definitely either something in the intake that pulls in outside air or it just reeks when the filter is wet (it's especially stinky when there's light rain and mist that gets sucked directly onto the filter).