Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does it take Tesla to build a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear ya....it doesn't make any sense to me either, but I'm just reported what I read....I wish I can find that thread for ya. If I remember correctly, it was one of those "I heard from my DS...." information. Tried volkerize, but can't come up with anything useful...sorry dude.

Impossible to estimate without knowing the max amount of cars that can be in the line at any given time. While new cars could be rolling off the line every few minutes, the line itself could be huge, and it could take days to get all the way from start to finish. I think most modern lines for other manufacturers are between 15-24 hrs per car. Given that Tesla's a newcomer, I think its reasonable to guess that its probably a few days.

It also depends on how you define "start to finish". Do you count the start when the first parts of the frame go through the robotic welding line until the car passes final inspection? Or do you start from when your car is "born" and a VIN is assigned (which I think is after the frame is made)? Do you count the time it takes to go to the paint shop and cure for a day? That's why we've heard various numbers since it is all how you calculate the times.

It also depends on how you define "start to finish". Do you count the start when the first parts of the frame go through the robotic welding line until the car passes final inspection? Or do you start from when your car is "born" and a VIN is assigned (which I think is after the frame is made)? Do you count the time it takes to go to the paint shop and cure for a day? That's why we've heard various numbers since it is all how you calculate the times.

i was referring to the physical part. from when the frame first rolls onto the assembly line to be constructed to your personal specifications, to when the T logo is attached (not including testing). I have subsequently heard from a PS that it's about 6 days.

In the modern factories, a standard car takes about 24 hours to be made. But those are "net" hours... The car is stored for hours to days between the different workshops (stamping, welding, painting, etc.).