Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does it take them to refund the $1000 deposit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckessel

Jan 15, 2011
I deposited forever ago, back at the announcement. We decided not to get the 3 and wait for the Y (already have an S) and just let the $1000 deposit ride. However, on a sales call the fellow said the deposit wouldn't transfer to the Y and I should refund it.

So I did, went online, filled in my bank info and asked for the refund. I think it said 3-5 days. That was...2 weeks ago? Maybe more, I don't remember, but it's been a long while. Nothing showed up in my bank. The My Tesla account on Telsa's website doesn't show the 3 reservation anymore.

I'm worried it's been lost. Have other people successfully gotten the $1000 deposit refunded?

It depends. I had 2 deposits, but only got one car. I also had problems - I had filled out the form for getting it refunded to my debit card account, but then my card was hacked and I had to get a new one, so the refund went into some kind of limbo for 2-3 months. After a while the configuration page came back, and it was like nothing had happened. When I did the refund thing again, the money was transferred almost immediately.

Well, damn, I guess Telsa has lost my refund then. It's been way too long if other folks got the refund that quickly. I'll have to get them on the phone, which is something I always dread with Tesla.

Calling Tesla didn't work terribly well, got a person right away, who transferred me to the Support phone tree...which just hung up on me after a prerecorded message at the end of one of the branches.

However, Tesla online chat support answered the question fairly quickly. It's still in the works, processing has been delayed for whatever reason, but it's not lost so that was good to know.

I'm a bit ticked about my refund. They have removed all mention of the reservations from my online account and they never respond to sending emails through the web site. I am sure I put the charge on a credit card, but after two years I don't know which one. So I have no idea where to look for it. It may have been a card that is no longer used.