Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does it take to get title after loan paid off?

Tezla1

Nov 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I'm in California. We have a electronic system for Title transfers.

I just paid off the auto loan on my car yesterday, how long does it take for me to actually get title in hand?

I am selling my car and have an interested buyer - but he is financing the car, so his bank requires me to provide title before they make payment to me.

I suppose I shouldn't have paid it off and it would have been faster to sell?

megansblonde

Jul 6, 2021
Central California
There's usually a form you can fill out in place of the title on the DMV website. Unless the bank is really that picky. Especially since you paid off your car yesterday you might get the form submitted before they process your title.

Reactions: Vystery

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Depends on your lender - ask them. Mine sent the title 7 days after the loan was paid off. Took 10 calendar days to receive it.

And when I paid off my daughters car earlier this year, it took 3 1/2 weeks for me to receive the title. I wanted the title because my wife and I purchased and paid for the car, but gave it to my daughter (it was always hers, we were just financially responsible for it). When we paid it off, we wanted to transfer ownership via DMV to our daughter, and wanted the clean title to do that.

Like you say, probably depends on the lender as well.

Tezla1

Nov 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
There's usually a form you can fill out in place of the title on the DMV website. Unless the bank is really that picky. Especially since you paid off your car yesterday you might get the form submitted before they process your title.
Interesting. Can you tell me what form this is? Will this allow me to sell the car to a private party without having the title in hand?

thewishmaster

Jun 4, 2018
California
Did you have to fill out any forms at DMV? or did you just receive the title in the mail in 10 days without doing anything at DMV?
My title came from my credit union (lien holder signed off). I think the previous time it came straight from the DMV (clean title). Didn’t need to do anything to get it

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC