Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does it take to get title so we can apply for HOV Decal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On CA DMV Website: Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

The FAQ says that you need to the title transferred from teh dealer:

9. Q: Can I submit the CAV decal application before the dealer and DMV complete the ownership application?

A: No. The vehicle must be in your name on DMV records before CAV decals can be issued. If you just purchased the vehicle from a dealership, you must wait until transfer of ownership is completed by DMV. If the CAV decal application is submitted prior to completion of transfer of ownership, the application will be returned to you unprocessed and must be resubmitted once the vehicle is in your name.

Bought my cpo on 10/16....
Just got my plates and registration yesterday....took almost 80 days and 2 rounds of temp plates....its a painfully slow process that's only compounding with all the 3 sales...
In my 15th week now. Almost on my third set of 60 day tags. We are actually getting paperwork on Monday from a car we took delivery of 4 weeks ago.

I picked my car on November 14. Still waiting for the title, registration, and plates. I'm wondering if this is yet another in the long list of Tesla corporate screw ups.

This shouldn't take so long. The service center where the car was delivered provides the documentation to the state DMV which then provides the documents and plates to the buyer/owner. Shouldn't take more than 3 weeks. I'm sure the fault lies with Tesla.

Last edited:
My temp tags expire tomorrow so I called my Service Center about an extension. They'll FedEx the new temp tags to me so I'll get them tomorrow.

But in the conversation they let me know (maybe a slip) that Tesla corporate still has not sent the title from California, so my assumption that the fault about the delay lies with Tesla was correct. How long does it take to mail a title? In Tesla time forever:)

Picked up my car 11/5. Had permanent plates and registration paperwork by Christmas. About a week later the title (pink slip) showed up. Just submitted the HOV lane sticker request yesterday. Expecting about four weeks for that to come back (that's about what it took with my last EV). Ditto for the CA HOV rebate (request submitted at the same time as the HOV lane sticker request).

2016 leaf took about 4 weeks too to get stickers but I'm setting my expectations low.

I know it's different but this summer I mailed my registration renewal in July and didn't get it til mid September. Said they were back logged so much that they told law enforcement that people's registration stickers would be late. So I'm not expecting much...

Out of frustration with the delays in receiving my title, tags, registration, and refund I filed an executive level message to Tesla. Didn't hear anything for three days but yesterday I received two email messages both from the same person:

Here's the first:

Hi Richard,

Thank you for contacting Tesla's Executive Care team. Your concern is important to us, and we apologize for the frustration you have experienced.

I see that you were given a tag extension, and it looks like your permanent plate will arrive on Monday. FedEx (Tracking number)

I have asked our refunds team to please expedite your refund for $5,377.00. I will confirm when I have a timeline for receiving your check.

Sincerely,

Julia F. | Executive Care
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, Utah 84020

The content of this message is the proprietary and confidential property of Tesla Motors, and should be treated as such. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your computer system and notify me immediately by reply e-mail. Any unauthorized use or distribution of the content of this message is prohibited. Thank you.

And the 2nd:

Date: Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:25 PM
To: Rick Hesel <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Have not receive title, registration. license plates, and refund check [ ref:_00D506dxX._500f1onAx3:ref ]

Hi Richard,

You should receive your check in the next 10-15 business days.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Julia F. | Executive Care
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, Utah 84020

The content of this message is the proprietary and confidential property of Tesla Motors, and should be treated as such. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your computer system and notify me immediately by reply e-mail. Any unauthorized use or distribution of the content of this message is prohibited. Thank you

If anyone is facing a similar situation I think it pays (no pun intended) to reach out to Executive Care
servlet.ImageServer

Last edited: