Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does it take to opt in to FSD beta on a new vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, you're confusing the standard FSD option, which you already have, and FSD City Streets Beta, which you have to request. Standard FSD includes TACC, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Navigate on Autopilot, Summon, and Autopark, though the last two might be temporary disabled depending on your car's configuration.

You are paying for FSD which is active and you can use those features.

FSD beta is a separate thing and a further “enhancement” of the regular FSD, but it’s not an extra cost you’re paying for.
Ah - I got you guys. Makes sense.

You are paying for FSD which is active and you can use those features.

FSD beta is a separate thing and a further “enhancement” of the regular FSD, but it’s not an extra cost you’re paying for.
That is all true. In my case, I subscribed to FSD because I wanted to check out the beta. When I subscribed, it was available to everyone. A few days later the "recall" was announced. The 2023s also don't have ultasonic sensors - so for the moment, we have no beta, no summon, no auto park - most of the cool things a person would activate the subscription for.

It sounds like I'm bitching but I'm not - caveat emptor - just saying that I can understand why OregonAI is confused.

So I’m also confused. My car just got off the production update but is in service for an extended stay.

Once I update to the current software, I can theoretically still subscribe to FSD. Which basically is just enhanced autopilot? Subscribing for the $199 doesn’t mean the car will do navigation turn by turn on city street?

So I’m also confused. My car just got off the production update but is in service for an extended stay.

Once I update to the current software, I can theoretically still subscribe to FSD. Which basically is just enhanced autopilot? Subscribing for the $199 doesn’t mean the car will do navigation turn by turn on city street?
No, it is enhanced autopilot plus additional stop sign and traffic light control and whatever else is listed on the web page. What you won’t get is City Streets until the fix is released.

Reactions: Dewg

Correct. FSD Beta is not being released on any cars during the recall. Once the recall is fulfilled, Tesla will start rolling out FSD Beta again. We don't know how long the recall will take to resolve. I'll repeat that again, we don't know how long it will take. Don't listen to anyone telling you it'll be a short or long wait - they don't know anything.

No, it is enhanced autopilot plus additional stop sign and traffic light control and whatever else is listed on the web page. What you won’t get is City Streets until the fix is released.

Correct. FSD Beta is not being released on any cars during the recall. Once the recall is fulfilled, Tesla will start rolling out FSD Beta again. We don't know how long the recall will take to resolve. I'll repeat that again, we don't know how long it will take. Don't listen to anyone telling you it'll be a short or long wait - they don't know anything
Sounds like it may be best to wait.

We had a road trip planned in a few weeks and I looked forward to trying it. I’ll hold my breathe.

Reactions: KArnold
No, you're confusing the standard FSD option, which you already have, and FSD City Streets Beta, which you have to request. Standard FSD includes TACC, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Navigate on Autopilot, Summon, and Autopark, though the last two might be temporary disabled depending on your car's configuration.
IIUC, all those things are now in the EAP. When we ordered our Model S, the only things listed in FSD that were not in EAP were "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control" and "Autosteer on city streets (Coming soon)".

Sounds like it may be best to wait.

We had a road trip planned in a few weeks and I looked forward to trying it. I’ll hold my breathe.
For a road trip, you would mostly use non-beta FSD features, so it still might be worthwhile subscribing to FSD for the trip. The features specific to FSD Beta don’t function on the interstate anyway. Subscribing will get you Auto Lane Change and Navigate on Autopilot, among other things. You already have TACC and Autosteer.

Reactions: preilly44
IIUC, all those things are now in the EAP. When we ordered our Model S, the only things listed in FSD that were not in EAP were "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control" and "Autosteer on city streets (Coming soon)".
Correct, non-beta FSD doesn’t add anything to EAP except traffic light/stop sign control. That’s why I’ll buy EAP for my next car and subscribe to FSD later when it becomes worthwhile (I have FSD now).

Reactions: preilly44
Argh - I was so excited to try it out that I subscribed to full FSD for a month without thinking. Hopefully it triggers before my month runs out.

Thanks for the info!
Have you got your FSD beta download alert yet? I am in same boat, I picked up my 2023TMYLR on Feb 9 2023 and requested FSD beta on the same. I wished I didn't pay 15k in advance for this thing (I was pretty confident that it will come with it when I picked it up, should have done my research before buying it). My version is 2022.44.100. It's over a month now with 1320 miles already....but sadly no updates.... It checks for update everytime I use my car and it said I am up to date.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Have you got your FSD beta download alert yet? I am in same boat, I picked up my 2023TMYLR on Feb 9 2023 and requested FSD beta on the same. I wished I didn't pay 15k in advance for this thing (I was pretty confident that it will come with it when I picked it up, should have done my research before buying it). My version is 2022.44.100. It's over a month now with 1320 miles already....but sadly no updates.... It checks for update everytime I use my car and it said I am up to date.
Beta rollout has been paused due to the recall

It’s been a while since this thread was updated and a lot has happened, so here’s the latest as I understand it:

- The recall is one of the factors preventing the activation / download of FSD beta on new vehicles
- Issues in the recall are confirmed to be addressed (although perhaps not fixed according to some reports) in the next major release of (11.3.1) which has rolled out to a very limited audience
- There will likely be at least one more revision before 11.3 is available to everyone

Based on what I’ve heard - we will be among the very last people to be updated because we still have factory firmware. Best guess would be anywhere from one week to 60 days, depending on how many more revisions are needed to 11.3 before it’s widely released.

There are also still a few unanswered questions:

- What will happen with smart summon? There was talk of a new version, but I don’t think this was included in 11.3.1 - and it’s unclear if the old version will ever work on cars without ultra sonic sensors.
- Same question for auto park

The next version of FSD hardware includes HD radar - so most future software development is likely to focus on cars with that capability. I’m worried that if our non-USS cars don’t get some of these features back soon - they may never get them.

On the plus side, there are hundreds of thousands of people in our same boat, and the videos of 11.3 in action are impressive for the most part - so here’s hoping the progress continues and we get to at least parity with USS equipped vehicles by Summer.

Hmmmm, what exactly does he mean by "this weekend"? And "wide"? And "starts'? 🤔

He gives us a nugget. Not really a lot here but welcome news for sure.

Looks like 11.3.2 is rolling out now, and it appears to (potentially) enable features such as park assist for those of us without USS (e.g. all of us watching this thread):

Please post an update in this thread if you are in the FSD-less new vehicle recall group and you get the update!

Reactions: Mr_Joe
I've had my car since Feb and purchased EAP the day I took delivery (and really like the highway navigation features). I wasn't going to pay extra for FSD since it doesn't add much on the highway until I saw that v11.3.2 enables some parking features I've been missing as well as a merged highway/city stack meaning I could actually see some different features on the highway as well as when parking with this beta (still probably not going to use it much in city but who knows). So I decided today that it's time to subscribe and try it out. I'm a cutting edge kinda guy and I love beta testing software and while I never paid to beta test something before, I thought for $100 I might jump on the bandwagon and see what it's all about...

I wanted to do it now because I know it'll take some time before I get my download and it would be fun to test it out this weekend when I'll be on the road a bunch.

Am I correct that in the following points?
  • The recall is complete and betas are again rolling out (hope so or else I just wasted $100).
  • My non-USS car will get its parking features restored while on the beta/
  • I need to wait a few days before Tesla will push a beta to me (currently on 2023.2.12). Currently waiting on a download...
  • I can disable FSD beta without unsubscribing if I don't like the new highway stack and want to go back to the classic EAP I'm used to for a long drive this weekend?
Thanks and looking forward to trying this out!

I've had my car since Feb and purchased EAP the day I took delivery (and really like the highway navigation features). I wasn't going to pay extra for FSD since it doesn't add much on the highway until I saw that v11.3.2 enables some parking features I've been missing as well as a merged highway/city stack meaning I could actually see some different features on the highway as well as when parking with this beta (still probably not going to use it much in city but who knows). So I decided today that it's time to subscribe and try it out. I'm a cutting edge kinda guy and I love beta testing software and while I never paid to beta test something before, I thought for $100 I might jump on the bandwagon and see what it's all about...

I wanted to do it now because I know it'll take some time before I get my download and it would be fun to test it out this weekend when I'll be on the road a bunch.

Am I correct that in the following points?
  • The recall is complete and betas are again rolling out (hope so or else I just wasted $100).
  • My non-USS car will get its parking features restored while on the beta/
  • I need to wait a few days before Tesla will push a beta to me (currently on 2023.2.12). Currently waiting on a download...
  • I can disable FSD beta without unsubscribing if I don't like the new highway stack and want to go back to the classic EAP I'm used to for a long drive this weekend?
Thanks and looking forward to trying this out!
Sorry to say you definitely jumped the gun a bit.

There has been no confirmation that the v11.3.2 update satisfies all the recall requirements and that new beta enrollments have resumed.

USS-less proximity detection is possible. But all we have is just that one same tweet/screenshot that’s been circulating. No one else has seem to come forward to confirm such functionality with their own pictures or videos.

You will not be receiving the current release at all. The current release is based on 2022.45.xx software. Since you are already on 2023.3.X you will have to wait until the next beta update is released that is hopefully a higher version than your car. No one knows when that will be. Could be several months.

Reactions: Mark II