Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how long does it take to recognize new TPMS sensor on brand new wheels and tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I just had my tire shop installed brand new set of wheels and all season tires using the new TPMS sensor bought from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

I only drove the car for 5 min. to home from tire shop but the Tire Pressure reading never show up on the ipad screen.

How long does it usually take for brand new TPMS to start reading tire pressure on model 3 SR+?

thank you.

Just got new summer wheels, tires, & sensors two weeks ago. Discount Tire at first installed rubber stem TPMS sensors (Huf IntelliSens UVS4041 TPMS Sensor). After initiating a TPMS reset, I drove over 45 miles home at highway speeds and they wouldn't read. After researching, I noted these are "rubber stemmed sensors" require initial programming and are only rated to 130mph.
Since I had originally ask for the gray metallic OEM style sensors, the installed sensors weren't rated to my 3D's top speed, and they didn't work, I had them replace them all with the OEM style gray metallic UVS 4040's:mad:. These are single frequency (433MHz) sensors, but do require initial programming, and a TPMS reset on the car. I drove them about 20 miles before three started reading.
After numerous Reboots, TPMS resets, and dropping the air pressure and refilling the bad sensor tire, to no avail, I took it back to Discount Tire. They programmed the sensor on the car, which the tech suggested mistakenly hadn't been programmed at install. Performed a TPMS Sensor Reset and drove home. The "bad sensor" never started reading:(, therefore I made an appointment to have the bad sensor replaced the next day.
Upon started my 45 mile drive to Discount Tire and less than a mile from home, a message popped on the screen saying it had detected new wheel configuration, and I suggested I reset the TPMS sensors. I looked at the TPMS screen and they were all reading nominal pressures:). Didn't reset anything since the configuration was already set correctly, and the sensors were all now reading correctly.

I guess it will remain a mystery why the cars TPMS error reset and it started reading the sensoro_O.

Just got new summer wheels, tires, & sensors two weeks ago. Discount Tire at first installed rubber stem TPMS sensors (Huf IntelliSens UVS4041 TPMS Sensor). After initiating a TPMS reset, I drove over 45 miles home at highway speeds and they wouldn't read. After researching, I noted these are "rubber stemmed sensors" require initial programming and are only rated to 130mph.
Since I had originally ask for the gray metallic OEM style sensors, the installed sensors weren't rated to my 3D's top speed, and they didn't work, I had them replace them all with the OEM style gray metallic UVS 4040's:mad:. These are single frequency (433MHz) sensors, but do require initial programming, and a TPMS reset on the car. I drove them about 20 miles before three started reading.
After numerous Reboots, TPMS resets, and dropping the air pressure and refilling the bad sensor tire, to no avail, I took it back to Discount Tire. They programmed the sensor on the car, which the tech suggested mistakenly hadn't been programmed at install. Performed a TPMS Sensor Reset and drove home. The "bad sensor" never started reading:(, therefore I made an appointment to have the bad sensor replaced the next day.
Upon started my 45 mile drive to Discount Tire and less than a mile from home, a message popped on the screen saying it had detected new wheel configuration, and I suggested I reset the TPMS sensors. I looked at the TPMS screen and they were all reading nominal pressures:). Didn't reset anything since the configuration was already set correctly, and the sensors were all now reading correctly.

I guess it will remain a mystery why the cars TPMS error reset and it started reading the sensoro_O.

I’ve mentioned this before in other TPMS threads. only mystery is that there’s something different that happens/resets when the car goes to sleep vs...doing two button or reset in the menu:).
PSA. For anyone having issues with new TPMS reading/registering. Lock the car and leave it alone for ~15 min until it shuts down and goes to sleep. Then go for a drive and see if they register.

Hi, Can you please tell me what brand/make TPMS you got? Today I ordered track wheels and tires for my M3 Performance and the tech told me that it is possible that the TPMS they will put on the car might not work due to differences in frequency from the ones Tesla sells. Any help is appreciated.

1 day for me, swapping between pairs of stock wheels with stock sensors.

i drove and drove and reset the sensors and rebooted the car and did everything like it said... simply wouldnt detect and connect.... next day at some point it worked