TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How long does production take?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Kbra, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Kbra

Kbra Member

My MS60 (Vin 7777*) moved into production yesterday 3/9! I've heard anywhere from 1-3 weeks to complete production and be ready for pickup. What have you guys experienced?

2. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Average production time is 5 days (average is actually a little longer than that right now but I'm ignoring the recent longer trend for 85D and P85D cars since you've said you have a S60 on order). Time from production completion to delivery varies. Depends on how far it has to go and sometimes just if you're the last one to go on a truck or you have to wait. I think it's safe to assume you'll have your car by the end of the month since this is the last month of the quarter.

3. Kbra

Kbra Member

Yeah i totally expect it this month for the same reason. I was originally scheduled for mid April and a March 30th production date but this past weekend they called and told me they were moving me up almost a month.

I live 180 miles from the Fremont factory so im hoping in a week or two it a be here.

4. PatD

PatD Member

I wish I was that close! I would absolutely drive down to pick it up and tour the factory!

5. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

My S85 spent six days in production. It started on Thursday and the morning of the following Wednesday it was done. (I heard the factory is closed on Sunday so that's five days actually being worked on.) It arrived at my local service center (Rockville, MD) the following Monday and was ready for me to pick it up Tuesday, so 12 days from entering production to pickup. (I couldn't get it immediately because of paperwork nonsense, but the car itself was ready and I could have picked it up then if I had been a bit more on the ball.)

Just a data point for you, no idea how it would relate to yours.

6. Kbra

Kbra Member

I am going to stop by for a tour once i have my MS and am making a trip up there. I didn't want to drive up there to get it and then two cars back. Cost money to take my ICE up there :p

7. Moonwick

Moonwick Member

A data point that might not be relevant (since it's an 85D) or might be (since mine also went into production on 9-Mar) but my car is already apparently out of production. 2 days seems way too quick, but I sure won't complain; maybe yours will see a similar accelerated build?

8. Kbra

Kbra Member

Well mine went into production on 3/9 and just completed today 3/11

9. Ldub22

Ldub22 Member

I'm still in: Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.

I'm assuming that means it's waiting to START production. Will I get notice as to when they start building it?

I'm Going nuts waiting!

10. Kbra

Kbra Member

Yeah you will get a status change to In Production and something along the lines of We are building your car in Fremont. Right now you are on standby. Did they assign a vin yet?

- - - Updated - - -

And now im in "Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery." Things are going quick

11. Kbra

Kbra Member

Picking my MS up on 3/13 at the Fremont Factory and getting a tour while im there!

12. n33d45p33d

n33d45p33d Member

did you pick it up? Mine says production complete and in transit from the factory. I wonder how long it takes to get to florida?

13. PatD

PatD Member

Mine's been in production all week and still is.

Looking at the Google tracking spreadsheet, there was one MS recently that completed production and arrived on the East Coast in about 3 days I think.

14. n33d45p33d

n33d45p33d Member

Thats weird, mine stayed 2 and a half days in transit. Im going out of town on Sunday but will be back Wednesday. Hopefully that 3 day shipping time is on point and I can pick it up Thursday or Friday!!

15. Kbra

Kbra Member

I got mine yesterday at the Fremont factory. Got to tour the factory. Amazing factory! They are working 24/7 right now. So if your are in production or close to it you won't be waiting long. :D

16. PatD

PatD Member

And a week and a half later, still showing in production. My estimated delivery date for keys in my hand is 3/25, so. . . Plenty of time to cross the country still!

17. MrBravo

MrBravo Member

5 days. And now waiting for delivery in Europe...

18. PatD

PatD Member

And now in transit! Getting close!