TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How long does the rear defroster take to work for you?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Zeani, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Zeani

Zeani Member

Been really enjoying my Model S for the past month I've had it, but now summer has left Seattle and the morning mists have started arriving, completely blanketing my car in dew (I have to park outside for now). I'm kind of missing my rear windshield wiper on my old car. Ideally the rear defroster would help here, but I find it takes close to 15 minutes before it has a noticeable effect (even while driving). Sure, in the mean time I rely on the rear camera when backing out of the driveway, but I'd still like to be able to see out the rear windshield.

Is this a common problem for others? Any recommendations?

One thing I'd love to see that might help here is the ability to turn on the defrosters from the phone app. At least then I can turn them on 15 minutes before driving out.

2. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Mine is slow as well don't know if it is a universal issue I was going to bring it up at the next service visit

3. snowpuff

snowpuff Member

Same here, and also in Seattle. Mine took >15 mins to work late last night. I thought it was defective but maybe that is just the design?

4. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Too Long

I am thinking mine is broken I have a service in a few days and will address this issue with the SM

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Mine seems to work about as well as any other car I've owned. It will clear fog pretty much straight away.

6. Victory

Victory Member

Mine takes about 10 mins if I am driving. Never tried it while parked. My previous cars have all cleared the windows within 2 minutes. Very annoying issue :(

7. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

It would help if you could activate the rear defroster remotely.

8. galangg

galangg Member

Very quick here. Not "instant", but fast.

9. scottm

scottm Active Member

Depends on how cold, and humidity.

Driving in -20C on highway, climate set to about 18C... rear defrost is taking 10+ minutes to defrost. In dry Alberta weather.

It's about on par with all the other cars I've owned.

Frankly don't use rear defrost often. What's behind, stays behind. Don't need to see it any more.

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Fast for me: 2-3 minutes to completley clear.

11. morbot

morbot Member

I've noticed mine to be pretty slow as well... turn it on when I get in the car and it takes several minutes to even notice it start to defrost.
    And it's not even when I'm dealing with serious frost... just standard foggyness of condensation on the outside when if I'm leaving the office late on a coldish night.

12. kabirakhtar

kabirakhtar but you can call me Kabir

now that you guys mention it, i did notice the other night that it took so long to defrost even a little of the nighttime condensation (not ice!), that i wound up sitting in the work parking lot for a few minutes until it was safe to drive.

maybe the defrost system is underpowered?

13. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Mine is weak too. It will never melt snow at around 20f or colder. In other cars I've had the rear defrost would be strong enough to slightly loosen the snow and the bumps and wind would shake the snow loose. The snow sticks and does not let go.

14. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know. This is the first car that I've actually put in my garage instead of just parking it in my driveway. 2yrs 62k miles and I've never accumulated ice or snow on it haha.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My last car with remote start would activate the front and rear defrosters and the seat heaters if the temp was below some value. In the summer, it would turn the seat coolers on with the a/c if it was above some value which was nice too. Seems an easy enough thing for Tesla to replicate.

16. doctorDHD

doctorDHD New Member

Tried to use my rear defroster this morning to get rid of the morning dew. It did't do anything during my 10 minute drive. I thought maybe it was not working. The rear glass was barely warm.

My Infiniti Q50 would have evaporated most of it by that time.

Some people seem to be satisfied, so how do we know if the slow ones are actually broken?

eLectric DeLorean
    Tesla Model S

17. BertL

BertL Active Member

My new MS rear defroster does not appear any slower than my previous Lexus RX450h or MBZ SLK. None are super speedy I suppose, but I guess I've learned to live with it over the years. My SLK rear window was half (or less) the size of my MS, and IIRC it had specific wording in the owner's manual to limit use, and it would shut itself off after a short time, given the draw it had on its 12V battery.

18. m2140

m2140 Member

Mine is slow as well and seems to turn off on it's own after a certain amount of time.

19. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

Does Range Mode make a difference?

20. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

In the Seattle area as well and it takes a ridiculously long time (10 min or so) with morning dew.

I gave up and put the jeep outside and put the Tesla in the garage.