Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does the rubber last on 18" vs 19" wheels for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering what everyone thought about how long a typical 18" tire will last before a 19" tire would also need replaced? For instance, my 16 inch tire on my Altima lasted about 50,000 miles. I wonder if a "standard" 18" wheel on my upcoming Model 3 would last, hopefully, 30,000 to 40,000 miles?

I thought that I read that some people's Tesla's with 19" tires only lasted around 25,000 miles.

I really like the look of the 19" Sport rims on the Model 3, but am highly considering getting the standard 18" wheels and simply removing the Aerodynamic cover. I realize that 18" wheels will have more ride comfort as well as less of a risk of pothole damage from these Texas roads, compared to the cooler looking 19" wheels.

I guess I'm simply wondering how long various tire rubber lasts, if one were to drive the same on each set of tires. Thanks

• Helpful
Reactions: RubberToe
Yep, driving style, roads and brand of tire really makes a large difference.

You can get some 21" tires to last longer than some 18"s depending on how you drive.

Correct, and one of the clues is the rate at which the rear tires (on a RWD vehicle) lose tread depth compared to the front. On my current rwd, 6MT vehicle, I go through about two sets of high quality rears for one set of fronts....the cost of living! :D

Reactions: es2120
I'm getting the 18" over the 19" not because of any tire wear difference, but for the ride quality and slighter ease/cost of the replacements. I'm not getting the performance model. I don't need super sticky tires on this car (especially since it's an EV and more of a low rolling resistance vehicle).

• Love
Reactions: es2120
Drive as smoothly as possible (steering, accelerator, brake). Look ahead to minimize use of the brake pedal. Don't indulge in drag-strip type starts. If you want to corner in a sporting manner, drive even MORE smoothly.
I was planning on doing that anyways to take advantage of regenerative braking. Although when I first get the car I'm going to see what it can do. But after a few months I will focus on getting max efficiency.

Reactions: DR61
Thanks for all of the advice! I just don't want to get the 19" wheels and then be disappointed in the ride quality (potential harshness) and more frequent rubber tire replacement. I'm not saying that I will find both of those issues if I get the 19" tires, but I have heard pro's and con's to 18" vs 19," and I was simply looking for some advice.

Thanks for all of the advice! I just don't want to get the 19" wheels and then be disappointed in the ride quality (potential harshness) and more frequent rubber tire replacement. I'm not saying that I will find both of those issues if I get the 19" tires, but I have heard pro's and con's to 18" vs 19," and I was simply looking for some advice.
For me it was a simple decision. One choice is free and the other choice cost $1,500.

Reactions: es2120 and gambit48