TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How long for auto-lock?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by andrewket, May 18, 2013.

1. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've only had my car for a few days, and am finding the auto lock feature doesn't engage very quickly. I have one fob with me and the other is at home.

I walked away and am now indoors, not near the vehicle. I checked the app about 2 minutest later and the car was still unlocked. I have auto lock on, but auto present handles on return off.

What has been your experience?

2. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

20 seconds exactly to auto lock.

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Havent measured the actual time. But it is much longer than I am comfortable with. So, I do almost always press the fob to lock. I really wish Tesla can figure out a way to trigger a force lock by touching the handle without resorting to the fob (like a "long touch" of the handle or something, i know it's not quite that easy, but hopefully they can come up with something).

- - - Updated - - -

That's after the fob is out of range, I presume. And is that to auto retract AND auto lock?

4. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

About 20 seconds for me as well.

5. andrewket

I figured out my problem.

I created an exit profile to move the seat back and the steering wheel up to reduce the wear on the leather. I select this profile before I get out. The exit profile did not have auto lock turned on.

6. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

If you go back to your car a minute later without the fob, are the doors really unlocked still? Our keys are in a bowl right next to the garage. I'm sure my car will never lock because the keys will be too close. I might try to find some sort of cute metal box to put the keys in so the car doesn't keep picking up the signal.

7. andrewket

The car was really unlocked. But I figured out my problem; see above.

You may want to move your keys further away. At least on BMW, I've seen reports that doing so drains the battery in the fob at a much faster rate as the car and the fob or constantly communicating.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Move your fob(s) further away and save yourself future problems; you're draining the fob batteries and you may end up draining the car's 12v battery also.

9. andrewket

Hmm. Car still didn't lock. Need to do more testing. Perhaps changing profiles right before leaving confuses the car.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nice sleuthing!

11. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

The keys have to be pretty close, like within 3-5 feet of the front door of the car. Unless they are actually in the garage I think you'll be fine. In fact I think it's the 20 second delay that makes people think the range is longer (because they are walking away during those 20 seconds). I can be standing almost right next to the car, and after 20 seconds it will lock.

12. Larry Hutchinson

#12 Larry Hutchinson, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
    Remember, handles retracting is not the same as locking. Just got my car so I am a newbie but today at the office, with my car is parked about 30 feet away, the handles retraced. I then left the fob in the office, waked to the car and pushed the handle. It extended and I opened the car.

later.. Checked my settings and found walk away locking was NOT on. False alarm.

13. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I have been putting the fob in a wooden bowl in our kitchen which is about 15 feet from the front of the car and a fully sheet rock wall between and car locks in 20 seconds and is fully locked. If you walk out to the garage with the key in the bowl the car will not unlock.

14. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

I had a similar problem. The handles would retract, but with both fobs at the far corner of the house, touching a handle extended them.

Based on a tip in another thread, I turned OFF both auto present and walk away lock. Rebooted the center console. Turned both auto present and walk away lock back on, and everything works as it should. PFM.

I'm still a bit paranoid, and ever time I go into the garage without the fob, I press a handle. They stay retracted and the fobs are about 30 ft away.

All this electronic wizardry is great, except when it isn't.:wink:

15. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

It's easier to just check the lock state with the phone. I used to do that all the time to check the walk away lock until I got comfortable with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, handles retracting is not how the car indicates it has locked. Like most cars it indicates locking by flashing the lights. With remote based locking I used to dislike chirps, because I could look at the car as I pressed the button and see the lights flash (which I still do with the Tesla when I want it to lock immediately). With walk away locking I think a chirp would be comforting.