Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long for Camera Calibration ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently had a windshield replaced. Took about a week and about 300 miles to calibrate. I had to drive in various roadway environments is my best guess as it took about 20 miles (all freeway) when I first got the car in late 2019.
I also just had a windshield replaced in my Model S. The front cameras have completed their calibration but still no Auto-pilot. I was told by a technician it could need some more kilometers for it to complete. Since talking to the technician, I have driven on single-line highways to work each day (150km round trip) for the last 3 days. Still no AP. Is it possible I need to drive on a 4-lane, divided highway, for it to complete as opposed to single lane highways? If anyone has some past experienced, let me know. I miss my AP as well as FSD.

I also just had a windshield replaced in my Model S. The front cameras have completed their calibration but still no Auto-pilot. I was told by a technician it could need some more kilometers for it to complete. Since talking to the technician, I have driven on single-line highways to work each day (150km round trip) for the last 3 days. Still no AP. Is it possible I need to drive on a 4-lane, divided highway, for it to complete as opposed to single lane highways? If anyone has some past experienced, let me know. I miss my AP as well as FSD.
To be honest, I am not sure what the cars need in order to complete the calibration. For me, it took driving in a variety of areas and about 4 days (about 200 miles or so) for it to finish.

To be honest, I am not sure what the cars need in order to complete the calibration. For me, it took driving in a variety of areas and about 4 days (about 200 miles or so) for it to finish.
Thx for your reply. Currently, I have a service appointment for tomorrow, July 22/21. I've probably driven 1,300km (812 miles) by now and still nothing. This past weekend I purposefully drove on the freeway, a six-lane highway, so the side cams could detect cars on either side of me. I did notice the shroud, or cover, for the windshield cams, is NOT tightly sealed to the windshield. Not sure if that has any bearing on it. I need the calibration fixed tomorrow - or soon I'm gonna get a speeding ticket. It's so easy to go too fast in a Tesla, lol.

I thought I was the only one, clearly not. I’ve done over 2,000 miles in about 45 days now since I took delivery of my model Y. Mobile service visit didn’t help, the guy told me they’ll probably have to replace the camera’s behind the rear view mirror, but they could also be fixed using what he called “Target calibration” where they use some fixed poles to force calibrate. It’s in for a service visit right now, let’s see how that ends up!

Since talking to the technician, I have driven on single-line highways to work each day (150km round trip) for the last 3 days. Still no AP. Is it possible I need to drive on a 4-lane
The owner's manual says that camera calibration will only complete after driving a reasonable distance on a straight road with multiple lanes (it says 8, I assume that's 4 in each direction), and it recommends using a middle lane.

I picked up my M3 earlier this week. It took less than 5 miles on a 3 lane highway to calibrate.

Hey there, I'm just following up concerning my camera calibration scenario. So, as mentioned earlier, I had a service appointment, as above on July 22/21. And sorry, I should have reported back earlier. Nonetheless, they got it fixed and managed to have the calibration (totally) complete when I picked it up. So, for others that talk about a quick calibration, it is possible but check all your auto-pilot settings. There are also two other indicators where it will tell you the percent complete for the side cameras, which deal with lane changing, etc. So even if your Tesla indicates the initial calibration is complete, there are these two % indicators in which the side cameras may not be complete until more km are driven. But after an additional 100km, it should be done. This is what I found in my situation at least.

That said, my issue was more mechanical in nature. It either had to do with the windshield install or the fact that the shroud was not sealed properly to the windshield, thus not allowing it to calibrate correctly or fully. And, as a side-note, a few days after getting my vehicle back from being corrected, it rained. So then I noticed my "auto-wipers" did not work. I toggled the software button off and then on again but all it would do is "intermittent. I tried a reboot but it made no difference. As luck has it, I got a recent software update to 2021.12.25.7 and it corrected that issue automatically. So all is good in my world again. Although the pending UI software would be nice to get now. We always want more, don't we?

So, had tech over my house to rotate my tires which turned out did not need rotating.
I told tech that I get error message on the display for the camera on the driver door. This message is intermittent, not on all the time. So he proceeded to engage the camera recalibration.

Took the car out later and the blue circle would not complete. So I called tech support, rebooted the SW and hit the recalibrate to start over. Took it out this am on a highway with 3 lanes each direction and within about 10 miles it completed. Also to note is was done in the rain. We have a nor’easter here today. I stayed in the middle lane the entire time, at least as much as possible, maintained my speed and it finally worked. I think it is dangerous not having this engaged because much of the safety warning systems are disengaged during this recalibration until complete.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Lots of data points here. Seems every experience with calibration is different :)
Here's mine: Got my Model Y LR yesterday and drove about 50 miles. Never got past the 98% mark on the calibration. I reset the calibration today and still couldn't get past 98%. I had read that long, straight drives with well visible lines helps, so I just went out and drove long the service road of the toll way (don't have my toll tag yet). Went about 10 mi (about 20 min), was about to give up, when it completed! Turned on auto steer and the FSD Preview (so I can see the other cars and the traffic lights) Works just fine.

Your milage may vary.

- Michael

I would hope that in future software updates, Tesla would reduce the time it takes to do this recalibration.

My car was just returned from a body shop for damage to the rear bumper. The rear bumper needed to be removed, patched and repainted so when I got the car back the cameras needed to be recalibrated. So I cleared it out, and then went on the highway as I did above and within 10 miles it was done. But is it a PIA? Yes.

Mine was stuck at ~98% for a while too. Problem was that my commute was city streets only, I was at over 250 miles (almost all streets with a couple of very short freeway drives) and it never completed. I had reset the camera data at about 100 miles thinking that would help. So today I took a real freeway drive, it finally finish calibrating after 12 miles.

I'm at like 150 mi, half highway half not since FSD computer installed on Model S. Most trips are 5-10 mi. The autopilot screen shows calibrating progress indicators under Navigate on Autopilot and Summon. Two days ago it was going back and forth between 99% and 98% on the Summon (has anybody else's gone down to 98% after already showing 99%?!) and Navigate on Autopilot was showing 97%. Yesterday both reached 99% but Summon still toggled to 98% once. Today they've both generally stayed at 99% and I've spent some good time on highways.

We do have a lot of construction around here, I wonder if the straight normal well marked lanes are not long enough. I'll try a longer 20-25 mi route avoiding the construction tomorrow and see if that does it. I really don't want to reset calibration and then have to start all over.