Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long for Camera Calibration ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would restart the camera calibration.
I probably should have. Instead I asked them via the app service request whether I should reset it. They first delayed then scheduled me to come in despite me asking for remote, which seems weird since I assumed they'd just say "yeah reset it" or maybe shed some light on avoiding specific roads around here or cleaning a specific camera or something. So I'll see what happens when I do that this weekend.

For everyone else's benefit though who may also have seen calibration going down and up and have driven >150mi and are wondering "maybe if I just let it go another few miles on some good roads it'll work out" - I am now >330 miles and it's still at 99%.

I probably should have. Instead I asked them via the app service request whether I should reset it. They first delayed then scheduled me to come in despite me asking for remote, which seems weird since I assumed they'd just say "yeah reset it" or maybe shed some light on avoiding specific roads around here or cleaning a specific camera or something. So I'll see what happens when I do that this weekend.

For everyone else's benefit though who may also have seen calibration going down and up and have driven >150mi and are wondering "maybe if I just let it go another few miles on some good roads it'll work out" - I am now >330 miles and it's still at 99%.
I think I read that it depends on the type of road you are on. I took mine on an interstate, stayed in center lane for 10 mi tried to have constant speed and it worked. Good luck.

Ok, final update: dropped it off yesterday, picked it up today. The Tesla place had calibrated it for me at no cost, which was convenient, and now I'm all set. I'm guessing they reset it and then drove around until navigate on autopilot calibration reached 100%. When I picked it up the summon additional cameras calibration was at 95% but that completed in one mile of driving.

One downside: I got a bit of red on my safety score because they were following somebody too close. At least it wasn't enough to drop it a point. 😆 😏

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Recent owner of a used 2018 Model S purchased from a friend, with a silly question: Will re-calibration help with the nervous feeling that the car uncomfortably crowds to the right of the lane? Passing a truck feels like it will scrape (it's not really close as I can verify in the side mirror) and feels like the car it trying to intimidate the car to the right - not to mention increased exposure to gravel kicked up by a truck one is passing.

Every time I set autopilot from a natural driving track, the car lurches what feels (and probably isn't) like a foot to the right.

Is it possible that the prior owner drive more to the right than I prefer, and I just need to re-calibrate?

Or does the car know the precise certer of the lane, and not share my bias toward driving slower to drover's side stripe I can judge with more confidecne that to the harder-to-judge passenger side?

Recent owner of a used 2018 Model S purchased from a friend, with a silly question: Will re-calibration help with the nervous feeling that the car uncomfortably crowds to the right of the lane? Passing a truck feels like it will scrape (it's not really close as I can verify in the side mirror) and feels like the car it trying to intimidate the car to the right - not to mention increased exposure to gravel kicked up by a truck one is passing.

Every time I set autopilot from a natural driving track, the car lurches what feels (and probably isn't) like a foot to the right.

Is it possible that the prior owner drive more to the right than I prefer, and I just need to re-calibrate?

Or does the car know the precise certer of the lane, and not share my bias toward driving slower to drover's side stripe I can judge with more confidecne that to the harder-to-judge passenger side?

do you have AP1? I once drove an AP1 car and it kinda felt like that compared to my model 3.