TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How Long For Software Rollout?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by aleagle, Jun 16, 2017.

1. aleagle

aleagle Member

When Tesla says they're rolling out the new update, how long does that rollout take?

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

I'd guess a week or two: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App has plenty of historical data if you care to analyze it.

They might be able to move faster if it's a critical safety problem or something like that.

3. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

It could take days or months, based on Tesla's record on previous releases.

If it's a critical release (like when they quietly disabled the air suspension after an accident), it seems Tesla can push the release out to all or many cars in a day or tow.

But for most releases, we seem to go through the same start-stop process. A small group of cars get the release each day, and when Tesla encounters a major problem with the release, they suspend the process - take some time to fix the problem(s) - and then start the process over.

Sometimes I've seen releases shortly after they are announced - and sometimes it's been weeks or longer before my car would get the release pushed.

For a while, you could drive over to the nearest service center and get the release - but it appears they've discontinued that service.

So - I'm back in the mode of looking at my smartphone each morning to see if there is a notification about a new software update...

4. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Sooner or later. Elon’s Choice.

5. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Our S 100D is at the Service Center for minor maintenance (door handle adjustment) - and it looks like they've installed 17.24.28.

• Helpful x 1
  6. aleagle

aleagle Member

I, too, while away the hours awaiting Tesla's promised download, and I'm sure that when I receive it I'll be disappointed that x, y and z weren't included; then I'll while away the days awaiting the next update!