Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long For Software Rollout?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could take days or months, based on Tesla's record on previous releases.

If it's a critical release (like when they quietly disabled the air suspension after an accident), it seems Tesla can push the release out to all or many cars in a day or tow.

But for most releases, we seem to go through the same start-stop process. A small group of cars get the release each day, and when Tesla encounters a major problem with the release, they suspend the process - take some time to fix the problem(s) - and then start the process over.

Sometimes I've seen releases shortly after they are announced - and sometimes it's been weeks or longer before my car would get the release pushed.

For a while, you could drive over to the nearest service center and get the release - but it appears they've discontinued that service.

So - I'm back in the mode of looking at my smartphone each morning to see if there is a notification about a new software update...

It could take days or months, based on Tesla's record on previous releases.

If it's a critical release (like when they quietly disabled the air suspension after an accident), it seems Tesla can push the release out to all or many cars in a day or tow.

But for most releases, we seem to go through the same start-stop process. A small group of cars get the release each day, and when Tesla encounters a major problem with the release, they suspend the process - take some time to fix the problem(s) - and then start the process over.

Sometimes I've seen releases shortly after they are announced - and sometimes it's been weeks or longer before my car would get the release pushed.

For a while, you could drive over to the nearest service center and get the release - but it appears they've discontinued that service.

So - I'm back in the mode of looking at my smartphone each morning to see if there is a notification about a new software update...
I, too, while away the hours awaiting Tesla's promised download, and I'm sure that when I receive it I'll be disappointed that x, y and z weren't included; then I'll while away the days awaiting the next update!