Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long is delivery time from order on wall connectors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to order a wall connector soon in the next day or two, and I wanted to let the electrician know a soft date of when to expect to come install it. i've seen other posts at other forums from a year ago stated they waited months.. not sure what the time table is now a days anyone order on in the past month or two? i'm in texas so was wondering wat a safe range of dates would be to give to the electrician.

I plan to order a wall connector soon in the next day or two, and I wanted to let the electrician know a soft date of when to expect to come install it. i've seen other posts at other forums from a year ago stated they waited months.. not sure what the time table is now a days anyone order on in the past month or two? i'm in texas so was wondering wat a safe range of dates would be to give to the electrician.
I would recommend getting the new model with wireless control.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
yea that is the plan, its the only one they offer anymore on tesla's site...
The previous models (Black, white, short cord, long cord) where constantly sold out.
I received messages when they were available but didn't lasted long.
I was looking for a black with a long cord and I never been able to get my hand on it.

About the new charger, I would like to see a review from one of those Youtube channels.
I was considering getting a JuiceBox because of the WiFi control but some reviews were not very positive.

The new Tesla charger seems to have some interesting features and it can be updated with OTA.
My plan is to be able to schedule charging, share the plug, and have a second charger which would have to share the load.

About your instalation, do you need to modify your panel to add a new circuit breaker, and do you have to install some long conduits?
I mention this because the electrician might need more than a day to complete the full instalation, soit he could start working on it in advance.

One important point is to find an optimal location for your charger. The new charger cable is shorter, so this can be a limitation
to considere if you don't always park at the place, the same side, outdoor or indoor, want to share with another car...

Also, as much as possible, try avoid getting the cable touching the floor, especially if you need to access your trunk while charging.
I would recommend to try having the cable coming from above the car and suspended just above the rear plug of the car.
In general I plug everytime I came back home and having the cable hanging on the floor and on my path would have been an issue.

I build a simple rotating door hindge to hold the cable, so the cable is above my head when walking around the rear of the car.
I made easy to unclip the cable from the rotating door hinge if I need to park differently or want to remove the charger since I use a portable one.

You should try finding the best location for your charger, may be using an extension cord or a garden hose to simulate it,
and review it with your electrician.

Another point is that the electrician might decide not include a neutral wire as it is not used by the charger.
I would recommend to have it, just in case you would like in the future to install a NEMA plug instead,
because you might move or want to put the charger in an other location.

May be something to considere is to have also a small Watt meter next to your charger to evaluate your consumption.

Last edited:
Seems like the new wall connector is fine for the newer Tesla's but if you have an older one you may want the non-WiFi one. My X can charge at up to 72 amps, but the new charger only handles 48 amps. I have the older wall connector, a referral version, and it will handle up to 80 amps.

I need an 18' since the charger is on the wall in front of the car. I can't back into the garage because my wife's Toyota Highlander and the Tesla X side by side plus my wife's shelves of "stuff" along the side... leaves little room. Too scary to back in. When was the last time anyone saw the 18' Gen 3 Wall Charger available.