Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long is the cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the cord that comes with the M3 is 20 ft - the "map" here: Home Charging Installation shows that the basic cord couldn't reach an outlet placed on the back wall of the garage, assuming the car is pulled straight in. Is this accurate? That chart is for all Tesla's, and of course the M3 is shorter than the other 2. My 240V outlet is placed in the middle on the back wall of the garage, and I'm hoping if I park the M3 on the right side it'll work. If not I'm strongly inclined to buy a NEMA 14-50 extension cord over the Tesla wall charger. Thoughts?

There are a few other things I would recommend instead. Wall connector instead of 14-50 outlet has a 24 foot cord, so that might reach better. Also, some people run the install to the ceiling of the garage, and then use a system to hang the charge cable. (Search this site for "tool balancer".)

I charge on a 14-50 extension cord 4 days per week. I have the amperage dialed down to 15A, but it works fine up to 32A, which is all my Clipper Creek charger will put out. But since I'm sharing power with my 5th wheel, I can only safely charge at 15A. As long as you can leave the cord plugged in it shouldn't be an issue. Repeated plugging and unplugging will make the contacts get loose over time and could cause them to heat up. Personally, I wouldn't pull the full 40A over the extension, but 32A or less I'd feel safe with.

I know the cord that comes with the M3 is 20 ft - the "map" here: Home Charging Installation shows that the basic cord couldn't reach an outlet placed on the back wall of the garage, assuming the car is pulled straight in. Is this accurate? That chart is for all Tesla's, and of course the M3 is shorter than the other 2. My 240V outlet is placed in the middle on the back wall of the garage, and I'm hoping if I park the M3 on the right side it'll work. If not I'm strongly inclined to buy a NEMA 14-50 extension cord over the Tesla wall charger. Thoughts?

Easy solution, back in. It's MUCH safer.

20ft doesn't go far as you'd think it does. I know it seems like it would just be measurements and math, but I was not at all comfortable charging that way in my garage. The weight of the cable pulled on the connectors at both ends too much for my liking.

That said, there's no harm in waiting until you get the car to see how it works out before you go buying extension cords. Worst case, you back your car in for a few days/weeks until you get it sorted out.

I agree with others who have said that extension cords aren't advisable since plugging/unplugging can wear out the connectors, it's a trip hazard, etc. If you don't want to back in (I didn't, so I get it) and you have attic space above the garage, another option could be to pay an electrician a couple hundred bucks to move the outlet to a different wall.

I have this cord, but I have several pieces of feedback on it:

I like that the neutral pin is removed on the plug end. This lets you plug it into a 14-30 or 14-50 receptacle (it also makes it really dangerous if you would ever accidentally use it for an RV). This also lets them droop one conductor from the cable.

Now with that being said, the downsides:
  • The cable is WAY thicker than the UMC Gen 2 cable. Since the UMC Gen 2 is only 32 amps not 40 like the UMC Gen 1 I would like to see them build another version of the cable that is lower gauge.
  • I want the cable to be longer. 20' just does not get you very far. I think 30' but of that smaller gauge would be a lot more useful.
The one place I have taken the cord and wanted to use it, the cord was about 5 feet short.

I have this cord, but I have several pieces of feedback on it:

I like that the neutral pin is removed on the plug end. This lets you plug it into a 14-30 or 14-50 receptacle (it also makes it really dangerous if you would ever accidentally use it for an RV). This also lets them droop one conductor from the cable.

Now with that being said, the downsides:
  • The cable is WAY thicker than the UMC Gen 2 cable. Since the UMC Gen 2 is only 32 amps not 40 like the UMC Gen 1 I would like to see them build another version of the cable that is lower gauge.
  • I want the cable to be longer. 20' just does not get you very far. I think 30' but of that smaller gauge would be a lot more useful.
The one place I have taken the cord and wanted to use it, the cord was about 5 feet short.
First, EVSEadapters is pretty good with custom requests, so someone could ask them to make that cord in a 30 or 40 foot version, and I'm pretty sure they would do it.
Second, it's not hard to make a cable like that. It wouldn't quite have the molded on strain reliefs that are watertight, but you can order the Camco plug and receptacle ends from Amazon and buy a length of that kind of cable from any electrical place. And then it's just a little work with a wire stripper and screwdriver to put it together.