TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How long is the wait from Order to delivery?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ImEric, Mar 7, 2018.

1. ImEric

ImEric Member

If you have already gotten your Model 3, how long did you wait once you place your order? The online estimate says "3-6 Weeks," but of course we know that Tesla's timeframes can be... let's say "hopeful." And of course 3 weeks is already a big difference from 6 weeks. I'm curious how long most people waited after placing their orders.

2. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Their delivery estimates are accurate, but early adopters will most likely have a few service calls imagine

3. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

4 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 3 minutes, and 36 seconds..... plus or minus one year :D
    Seriously though, a friend in San Diego is wondering about the same thing. Placed order 7 weeks ago and so far no indication when it will be delivered. I am sometimes told it depends on the spec you are asking to be built. Texting Elon every night to complain about the wait will likely incur an additional 4 year wait :p When my friend gets word, he will post. He's on here.

4. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

it actually varies widely, with the larger variation happening between configuration and VIN assignment. If you're lucky, there's already a car built that matches your config, and not a lot of other people are choosing the same thing. You'll get your VIN fast. Sometimes the wait for a VIN can take a whole month because your config is all out and you're waiting for the next batch of your config to be built.

As for VIN to delivery, that's a lot more consistent, with most people reporting about a week. Here on the east coast it seems to be taking a bit longer. The car is shipped by rail to a rally point; from there, it continues to final destination via truck to service center. Finally at service center, they give it another detail and inspection, at which point, it's ready for pickup. 2 weeks on average.

• Informative x 2
  5. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

My 1st 3 took 3weeks from giving them another 2500 to delivery.
    My 2nd has been 4 weeks so far, no vin yet

• Informative x 1
  6. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

Both my 3’s took roughly 3 weeks from order to delivery

• Like x 1
  7. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

that's interesting. I better tell my friend whom has been waiting 7 weeks. I wonder what is so special about his car.

8. ImEric

ImEric Member

DId he even get his vin number yet? 7 weeks seems a bit long. I've been hearing that CA wait times have been like 2-5 weeks for delivery, and just wanted a larger sample size. I would call Tesla and ask about it.

That's good to know! Mine is Deep Blue Metallic with Aero Wheels like your second one, so hopefully, the timeline is similar. I fear that waiting over a week to place my order put me behind all of the other non-owners who immediately placed their orders without hesitation. I guess we'll see.

9. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Ok, I guess I am out of date by a week. Just called him and he said 3 is on the way to him. Still took 7 weeks and got vin after 3 weeks. Sad 2 weeks of that delay was his fault. So sounds like it would have been 5 weeks without his delay.

10. 1051

1051 Member

3 days, but i am in SO California

11. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

Tomorrow will be two weeks since config. So, at best I will get my VIN tomorrow and my car in a week from then. Fangers crossed

-Randy

12. Scrith

Scrith Member

Ordered on January 4, picked up in Fremont on January 11.

13. fseir

fseir Member

Non-owner, non-employee
    Placed reservation at 10:35 am 3/31/2016 at Fashion Valley, San Diego
    Configured 2/22/2018
    Midnight silver, 19" wheels, EAP
    VIN assigned today! (3/7/2018), 1 week + 6 days after configuration
    No delivery date yet
    Delivery location: Honolulu

Of note, I didn't get a notification that my VIN had been assigned. I've just been checking my account page every hour! :p

14. ImEric

ImEric Member

Just to be absolutely clear, you ordered and then three days later, you had your car? I'm in southern California too, but I haven't heard of anyone getting their cars in less than a week after placing their order. They must've had your exact configuration already on a truck when you ordered, lol.

15. omar

omar Member

how do you check if your vin has been assigned on mytesla page?

16. omar

omar Member

Sorry. I missed that. How was the 2 week delay his fault?

17. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

It will just show up. When you first sign in the VIN will replace the RN number. If you click "manage" your VIN will also display on the right sidebar.

• Like x 1
  18. omar

omar Member

Awesome! Thank you for the response. Configured 2/22. White with sport wheels. No vin yet.

19. John Lamoureux

John Lamoureux l Parzival l

Did you have to fly to the mainland to stand in line?

20. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Apparently he thought the transfer of money from one account to another went through but it didn't, so his fault for the 2 week delay.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1