Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long is the wait from Order to delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have already gotten your Model 3, how long did you wait once you place your order? The online estimate says "3-6 Weeks," but of course we know that Tesla's timeframes can be... let's say "hopeful." And of course 3 weeks is already a big difference from 6 weeks. I'm curious how long most people waited after placing their orders.

If you have already gotten your Model 3, how long did you wait once you place your order? The online estimate says "3-6 Weeks," but of course we know that Tesla's timeframes can be... let's say "hopeful." And of course 3 weeks is already a big difference from 6 weeks. I'm curious how long most people waited after placing their orders.

4 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 3 minutes, and 36 seconds..... plus or minus one year :D
Seriously though, a friend in San Diego is wondering about the same thing. Placed order 7 weeks ago and so far no indication when it will be delivered. I am sometimes told it depends on the spec you are asking to be built. Texting Elon every night to complain about the wait will likely incur an additional 4 year wait :p When my friend gets word, he will post. He's on here.

it actually varies widely, with the larger variation happening between configuration and VIN assignment. If you're lucky, there's already a car built that matches your config, and not a lot of other people are choosing the same thing. You'll get your VIN fast. Sometimes the wait for a VIN can take a whole month because your config is all out and you're waiting for the next batch of your config to be built.

As for VIN to delivery, that's a lot more consistent, with most people reporting about a week. Here on the east coast it seems to be taking a bit longer. The car is shipped by rail to a rally point; from there, it continues to final destination via truck to service center. Finally at service center, they give it another detail and inspection, at which point, it's ready for pickup. 2 weeks on average.

• Informative
Reactions: ImEric and FlyF4
that's interesting. I better tell my friend whom has been waiting 7 weeks. I wonder what is so special about his car.
DId he even get his vin number yet? 7 weeks seems a bit long. I've been hearing that CA wait times have been like 2-5 weeks for delivery, and just wanted a larger sample size. I would call Tesla and ask about it.

Both my 3’s took roughly 3 weeks from order to delivery

That's good to know! Mine is Deep Blue Metallic with Aero Wheels like your second one, so hopefully, the timeline is similar. I fear that waiting over a week to place my order put me behind all of the other non-owners who immediately placed their orders without hesitation. I guess we'll see.

DId he even get his vin number yet? 7 weeks seems a bit long. I've been hearing that CA wait times have been like 2-5 weeks for delivery, and just wanted a larger sample size. I would call Tesla and ask about it.

That's good to know! Mine is Deep Blue Metallic with Aero Wheels like your second one, so hopefully, the timeline is similar. I fear that waiting over a week to place my order put me behind all of the other non-owners who immediately placed their orders without hesitation. I guess we'll see.

Ok, I guess I am out of date by a week. Just called him and he said 3 is on the way to him. Still took 7 weeks and got vin after 3 weeks. Sad 2 weeks of that delay was his fault. So sounds like it would have been 5 weeks without his delay.

Non-owner, non-employee
Placed reservation at 10:35 am 3/31/2016 at Fashion Valley, San Diego
Configured 2/22/2018
Midnight silver, 19" wheels, EAP
VIN assigned today! (3/7/2018), 1 week + 6 days after configuration
No delivery date yet
Delivery location: Honolulu

Of note, I didn't get a notification that my VIN had been assigned. I've just been checking my account page every hour! :p

Non-owner, non-employee
Placed reservation at 10:35 am 3/31/2016 at Fashion Valley, San Diego
Configured 2/22/2018
Midnight silver, 19" wheels, EAP
VIN assigned today! (3/7/2018), 1 week + 6 days after configuration
No delivery date yet
Delivery location: Honolulu

Of note, I didn't get a notification that my VIN had been assigned. I've just been checking my account page every hour! :p

Did you have to fly to the mainland to stand in line?