Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long is the warranty on the 12V battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d recommend replacement with an Ohmmu 12V. Great product! Weighs less, lasts longer, and has awesome install instructions. Plus you can change out the biohazard filter if you have it.
If your reply was intended for me, that wasn't an answer to my question. I'm wondering if Tesla will ever stop using lead acid batteries as the warranty replacement. I know I can buy a battery but that makes no sense if it's covered under the warranty.

My 12v wasn't covered under the extended 2 year used car warranty when I bought the car from Tesla. The battery started to fail in January of 2021 and a mobile tech came out to replace it. I think I paid $150 or so. The battery in the car was the original - almost 6 years old at that point.

I doubt Tesla would move to a lithium cell 12v. There's really no reason to invest in retrofitting the old cars with a solution that will not benefit them. Heck there are problems on the new cars that they don't seem interested in fixing.

My 12v wasn't covered under the extended 2 year used car warranty when I bought the car from Tesla. The battery started to fail in January of 2021 and a mobile tech came out to replace it. I think I paid $150 or so. The battery in the car was the original - almost 6 years old at that point.

I doubt Tesla would move to a lithium cell 12v. There's really no reason to invest in retrofitting the old cars with a solution that will not benefit them. Heck there are problems on the new cars that they don't seem interested in fixing.
If my battery died under warranty and Tesla offered to retrofit my car at cost from the Lead Acid to Lithium Ion, I'd pay for it for the retrofit if they gave the battery free under the warranty. But why would there need to be a retrofit anyway, when other companies sell Lithium Ion direct replacement 12volt batteries for the car?

Tesla's implementation of the lithium battery in the refresh also increased the voltage of the LV system to 14.8v - 16.4v. The retrofits from Ohmmu keep the voltage around 12v.

Even though the replacement battery was still an AGM and the same capacity, the Tesla mobile tech loaded new code into the LV BMS to reflect the new battery. I can imagine the code being dramatically different for a Lithium battery.

The ohmmu is still working on software/ hardware fixes to avoid false warnings (battery needs to be replaced) due to Tesla firmware changes, so wait before swapping it. Tesla will not retrofit new li-ion 12v battery to older models, it has different hardwares and softwares.

The ohmmu is still working on software/ hardware fixes to avoid false warnings (battery needs to be replaced) due to Tesla firmware changes, so wait before swapping it. Tesla will not retrofit new li-ion 12v battery to older models, it has different hardwares and softwares.
No one knows for sure that Tesla won't retrofit Lead Acid battery cars down the road. The hardware and software differences aren't really an issue for them, especially if the car owners pay for the retrofit.

• Disagree
Reactions: cbdream99
No one knows for sure that Tesla won't retrofit Lead Acid battery cars down the road. The hardware and software differences aren't really an issue for them, especially if the car owners pay for the retrofit.
That's your own thinking, but it makes completely no sense economically and business wise completely, the older s and x has stable lead acid and doesn't need a change for change sake. Why would Tesla want to spend all the effort to have the service center to retrofit that, this is not just a wire and battery, there are other parts that needs to support a higher voltage battery and who knows what kind of space and modifications needed, not to mention different firmware to support different configuration, just doesn't matter to you , doesn't mean it doesn't matter to Tesla priority

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus