Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long is the warranty on the 12V battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2017 90S that we bought new 4 years ago, Today we got a noticification that the 12v battery needs to be replaced soon as software updates won't complete until it is replaced. Cost is a little over $200, and I was just wondering if this was covered under the warranty----just seems funny for such a crucial part to go and not be covered. Thank you.

I don't believe the 12 v battery is covered under any new car manufacturer's warranty, except maybe some cover it the first year. Brake pad, rotors, tires, key fob batteries, etc. aren't usually covered either. They are expendable items.

We are at 4 years and a 8 days. Bought the car on 9/23/2017. Thank you for the quick responses---greatly appreciated. Glad to know it was covered for 4 years, even if I just missed out. I will make note that I missed it being covered by just 8 days in our exchange of update notes regarding the repair appointment. Maybe I will luck out, but I am also OK paying the $200+ since they are coming to the house to fix it. Stinks the part went, but the convenience in getting it fixed can't be beat. Thanks again.

Reactions: DerbyDave
OP...
im actually surprised you got 4 years out of it to begin with. Almost would have been better to get 3 and Almost 4 years from it.
they changed mine in the driveway at home last year a couple months over warranty and didn’t charge me. i would bet you will get it done without a charge.

quickstike12---you are 100% on the money. They sent me a notice today saying they will not charge me. I will stop down the SC next week with a box of goodies from a great local bakery...........and give the ranger (do they still call them that) a larger tip than normal when he comes Monday. And when we drop my wife's 3 off in 2 weeks (noise from the front wheels), we will bring more heart clogging pastry from the bakery.

We are at 4 years and a 8 days. Bought the car on 9/23/2017. Thank you for the quick responses---greatly appreciated. Glad to know it was covered for 4 years, even if I just missed out. I will make note that I missed it being covered by just 8 days in our exchange of update notes regarding the repair appointment. Maybe I will luck out, but I am also OK paying the $200+ since they are coming to the house to fix it. Stinks the part went, but the convenience in getting it fixed can't be beat. Thanks again.
even if you just missed the warranty, I think batteries are pro-rated....

edit: just saw the last post that they will give new one...way to go!!

As our MSP is coming up on 2 years now. If we keep it, I am planning to change battery at 3 1/2 -4 years unless it fails earlier. I have never had a new car battery last longer than 4 years and worst it always seems it always kick the bucket at the worst possible time. Plus 1 for the refresh model with lithium 12v battery ! Wondering if I should just let Tesla SC do the swap? Thoughts? Maybe just get new Model S with new Tesla 4680 Battery pack and circle steering wheel?

M

Have a 2017 90S that we bought new 4 years ago, Today we got a noticification that the 12v battery needs to be replaced soon as software updates won't complete until it is replaced. Cost is a little over $200, and I was just wondering if this was covered under the warranty----just seems funny for such a crucial part to go and not be covered. Thank you.
1 year 10k miles just had it done last week.

Something is not quite right. The charging parameters or battery size or just crappy build is happening. Never saw a car battery die after 2 years unless the battery was defective. Seems like I see this 2 year thing pop up quite often then again it just may be a bad batch of batteries.

I have always changed batteries in all my cars after 4 years as preventative maintenance and never had an issue. This is about the average a car battery lasts in general if you want reliable sub zero starts that is. My Y has a conventional lead acid unit and the S the new lithium unit, wonder how much longer the lithium units will last, hopefully twice as long as I am sure they cost more than twice as much.

Does the 12v lead acid battery last longer or shorter than in an ice car which hast to crank a starter? When I lived in Dallas Tx, the heat killed batteries and they would last only 2 years. Living in Seattle area with moderate temps, typically last 4 to 5 years so heat kills them.

Just wanted to remind everyone while discussing the 12V battery. It’s NOT a lead acid battery so it can’t be compared to your older ICE car batteries in the way it handles heat, cold, charging times and resistance and many other factors. Even if it was the same the charging strategy is very different from the way an ICE car alternator keeps it charged than our EVs do. That’s one reason some people get longer life than others I would imagine.
These AGM batteries are also designed to be mostly “gas free” so the don’t vent and can handle much more vibration and jarring than could a lead acid battery. We used to use them in our race cars years ago. There are some very good articles on the differences between lead acid and AGM batteries out there.
im certainly no battery expert but have had to do some reading about this last couple years for this very reason.

Ok. All true. Just wanted to point out its not a simple comparison to what many of us grew up with on our ICE cars and the way they perform and act.
I personally have gotten a couple years out for the first one and now going on 3 with the new one. But I’m in texas climate and it probably isnt seeing some of the toughest condition.

Reactions: bhzmark