TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How long is too long to leave at a 100% charge?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by HankLloydRight, Apr 25, 2014.

  1. HankLloydRight

    HankLloydRight Fluxing

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2014
    Messages:
    5,747
    Location:
    Connecticut
    I'm leaving on a short trip tomorrow morning.. My P85+ is now charging at 120v/12a and has 212 rated miles... The mobile app says it will be 13 hours and 21 minutes remaining to a full charge.

    Assuming that's correct, that puts me at about 8:00AM ET tomorrow. I was thinking of leaving at about 9:00am or so. So the car would sit at 100% for an hour or so (again, assuming the 13 hours estimate is accurate).

    Another option is that I could run up to the local supercharger, and get it juiced up faster, say to 95%, and then let it charge the remaining 5% overnight, but then it would sit even longer at 100% until I leave.

    So when people say don't leave it fully charged for very long, how long is "very long" in reality?

    Thanks.
     
  2. AmpedRealtor

    AmpedRealtor Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2013
    Messages:
    4,686
    Location:
    Buckeye, AZ
    You're fine. Just don't leave it at 100% for days or weeks at a time.
     
  3. xhawk101

    xhawk101 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1,066
    Oops left mine @100 for week during a cruise
     
  4. caddieo

    caddieo Member

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2013
    Messages:
    877
    Location:
    Palm Coast, FL
    Why do you need to reach a full charge while away? And will you use most of it up when you get back?
     
  5. Kraken

    Kraken Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2012
    Messages:
    799
    Location:
    Voltageville, CA
    I think he is taking it with him on the trip...


    amped.. I left within an hour of charging my car to 100 (3x) when testing to see if rated range came up (on days I was planning on using almost all of that range), and you made it sound like I was playing with fire charging to 100 at all...
     
  6. SeminoleFSU

    SeminoleFSU Member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2013
    Messages:
    718
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    Must be nice. :) Don't bother with the super charger just let it finish and enjoy your evening. It can sit for an hour or two fully charged and will be fine.
     
  7. HankLloydRight

    HankLloydRight Fluxing

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2014
    Messages:
    5,747
    Location:
    Connecticut
    Yes, I'm leaving with the car in the morning. Where I'm going isn't close to any SC, so I want to minimize any time I need to spend at a J1772 charger in order to get back.
     
  8. HankLloydRight

    HankLloydRight Fluxing

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2014
    Messages:
    5,747
    Location:
    Connecticut
    It's currently at 227 rated miles with exactly 10 hours to go.
     
  9. HankLloydRight

    HankLloydRight Fluxing

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2014
    Messages:
    5,747
    Location:
    Connecticut
    I need to get a 14-50 installed at the g/fs house.:)
     
  10. AmpedRealtor

    AmpedRealtor Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2013
    Messages:
    4,686
    Location:
    Buckeye, AZ
    I did? I'm of the opinion that it's not a good idea to do unnecessary 100% charges just to make the displayed estimate increase. But leaving within an hour should be fine. If I said differently than I must have evolved.
     
  11. Crispix

    Crispix Member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2013
    Messages:
    231
    Location:
    San Diego
    It'll be ok to sit for an hour at 100% but only if you have NOT clicked the "power off" button when you leave the car.

    (sorry, bad joke. forgive me.)
     
  12. HankLloydRight

    HankLloydRight Fluxing

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2014
    Messages:
    5,747
    Location:
    Connecticut
    No, it's pretty darn funny... You had me going for a second until I realized the joke... Because I was in the car tonight installing a screen protector, and the last thing I did was Power off!! ;)
     
  13. dsm363

    dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    Messages:
    18,235
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    You're still powering off? Did you figure out if something is wrong with your car since it doesn't shut down when you close the door and lock the doors with the key fob?
     
  14. HankLloydRight

    HankLloydRight Fluxing

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2014
    Messages:
    5,747
    Location:
    Connecticut
    Yes, it's working normally and turning itself off as described in the other thread.
     
  15. caddieo

    caddieo Member

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2013
    Messages:
    877
    Location:
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks for the clarification.
     

Share This Page