TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How long is UMC cord AFTER BRICK?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by hingisfan, Jan 24, 2015.

1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Hi guys,
    Setting up an outdoor UMC with a large Nema box so I can lock the brick inside and have the cord always ready outside of the box. How long is the cord after the brick? Thanks!

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The entire cord is 5.5 metres. To the brick is about one metre, but the distance from the wall to to the UMC has to be much less as you don't want the entire weight of the cord hanging from the car's charge port (at least I don't). The practical maximum distance between the car and the wall is 3 metres.

3. hingisfan

Trying to figure out if I can park frontwards and have the cord reach. I will have brick inside the wall mounted box. Guessing it will be very close.

4. jerry33

Guaranteed you won't be able to do it. If you must park frontward, get the HPWC (even if you just use it with a 50 amp breaker, which you can). It's cord is long enough to reach the back of the Model S. It's about 7.5 m total length and no brick.

5. linkster

linkster Member

Another possible option is to send your UMC to Tony Williams at Quick Charge Power and have them stretch your UMC up to 50' in total length (may also come in handy to reach the dryer receptacle at the beach house :biggrin: ).

6. hingisfan

Hmmm....don't really want the added cost of the HPWC, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and back into my spot, or leave the brick on the outside of the box.

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Not a good idea what you are proposing. I don't know if having the UMC always plugged in is recommended. Also if you leave the UMC there then what are you going to do when travelling and you need a charge without a Supercharger nearby. A better idea would be to put an outdoor 50A outlet at the wall. Sure, it involves opening the trunk and getting the UMC.

8. jerry33

My UMC is always plugged in except on trips. There's no good reason to unplug it frequently.

- - - Updated - - -

Backing in is really safer because when you exit you have a better view of where you're going and are less likely to hit something.

9. tga

tga Active Member

There is nothing wrong with leaving the UMC plugged into the wall. At the risk of starting a "14-50 wears out" debate, it's arguably safer to leave it plugged in then stressing the contacts with repeated cycling.

Many people buy a second UMC and leave one plugged in and one in the car for road trips. If you don't need >40A charging, a second UMC is cheaper than a HPWC.

A Texan who speaks metric? What is this world coming to?!?:biggrin:

10. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

There's a thread called organize your umc. Check that out for ideas.