Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long is UMC cord AFTER BRICK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The entire cord is 5.5 metres. To the brick is about one metre, but the distance from the wall to to the UMC has to be much less as you don't want the entire weight of the cord hanging from the car's charge port (at least I don't). The practical maximum distance between the car and the wall is 3 metres.

Trying to figure out if I can park frontwards and have the cord reach. I will have brick inside the wall mounted box. Guessing it will be very close.

Guaranteed you won't be able to do it. If you must park frontward, get the HPWC (even if you just use it with a 50 amp breaker, which you can). It's cord is long enough to reach the back of the Model S. It's about 7.5 m total length and no brick.

Not a good idea what you are proposing. I don't know if having the UMC always plugged in is recommended. Also if you leave the UMC there then what are you going to do when travelling and you need a charge without a Supercharger nearby. A better idea would be to put an outdoor 50A outlet at the wall. Sure, it involves opening the trunk and getting the UMC.

Not a good idea what you are proposing. I don't know if having the UMC always plugged in is recommended.
My UMC is always plugged in except on trips. There's no good reason to unplug it frequently.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm....don't really want the added cost of the HPWC, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and back into my spot, or leave the brick on the outside of the box.

Backing in is really safer because when you exit you have a better view of where you're going and are less likely to hit something.

Not a good idea what you are proposing. I don't know if having the UMC always plugged in is recommended. Also if you leave the UMC there then what are you going to do when travelling and you need a charge without a Supercharger nearby. A better idea would be to put an outdoor 50A outlet at the wall. Sure, it involves opening the trunk and getting the UMC.
There is nothing wrong with leaving the UMC plugged into the wall. At the risk of starting a "14-50 wears out" debate, it's arguably safer to leave it plugged in then stressing the contacts with repeated cycling.

Many people buy a second UMC and leave one plugged in and one in the car for road trips. If you don't need >40A charging, a second UMC is cheaper than a HPWC.

The entire cord is 5.5 metres.
A Texan who speaks metric? What is this world coming to?!?:biggrin: